Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Voters are told pen had 'invisible ink'
BLANK BALLOTS | Staffers try to reach 20 who thought they'd voted

February 6, 2008
BY ANNIE SWEENEY Staff Reporter/asweeney@suntimes.com
When it comes to election shenanigans, Chicago has been accused of just about everything.

But invisible ink?

Twenty voters at a Far North Side precinct who found their ink pens not working were told by election judges not to worry.

It's invisible ink, officials said. The scanner will count it.

But their votes weren't recorded after all.

"Part of me was thinking it does sound stupid enough to be true,'' said Amy Carlton, who had serious doubts but went ahead and voted anyway.

As it turns out, Carlton was one of 20 voters at the precinct who were given the wrong pen to use. They were also then told, apparently by a misinformed judge, that the pens have invisible ink, elections officials said.

As a result, the votes were not counted. But officials insisted there were no dirty tricks involved.

"This one defies logic,'' said Jim Allen, a spokesman for the Chicago Board of Elections. "You try to anticipate everything. But certain things just ... they go beyond any kind of planning you can perform.''

By late afternoon, five voters had been contacted and told to come back to the polling place to vote again. And elections staff had left messages at the homes of the rest, Allen said.

Carlton and Angela Burkhardt, another voter who was told the same invisible ink story, spent a good part of the day calling and e-mailing the Board of Elections to get answers.

"I am furious and devastated and I just feel stupid,'' Carlton said. "I feel so angry.''

Both women agreed that this election meant a lot. They had spent a good deal of time researching candidates.

"I have been voting since I was 18,'' said Carlton, 38. "This is the most important election of my life so far.''

Burkhardt planned to go back to vote late Tuesday. She worried about those who might not be able to return.

"I worry about the other people who were there,'' she said. "Maybe [they] can't get off work. I am a person of privilege. I can go back. What if you couldn't?"
http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/779528,CST-NWS-magic06.article

How fucking stupid do you have to be think to yourself, "Yeah, they probably are trying out invisible ink this year, yeah that makes sense. It's about time we started using invisible ink for elections"

Did the "Officials" have flower pins that squirted water on voters? Did they great the voters by shaking their hands with hand-buzzers?

It amazes me how much shit goes on with the voting system, there are problems in every fucking city it seems. Some places confused about this and that, some ballots needing you to punch out a little box at the bottom to be "counted"... etc etc etc.

How about everyone just legibly writes a name on a Post-It and then you spend a month or so literally counting all of them.

thetick130

Trying hard not to kill my dog
Aug 16, 2006
NJ, fuck you
holy shit, they dont deserve to vote if they are that stupid. can we play guess the race?

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
please just take their voting priveledges away along with their ability to live. fucking retards in this country

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I'd like to see the judge removed from the bench - how stupid do you have to be to be "misinformed" about invisible ink?

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Dude, it's Chicago.

It's the city of the 1968 Democratic National Convention Riot (see Born on the 4th of July). It's the city of "vote early, vote often." It's the city WHERE THE DEAD VOTE.

I actually have an old college buddy whose grandfather was still voting 10 years after he was buried.

And, oh, look! There's a Daly as mayor of Chicago again! No shenanigans on his watch!

bb1mobile

wackbag's special mod
Wackbag Staff
Jul 10, 2007
Just wandering around
I'm glad their votes didn't count. If you believe
that story then you aren't smart enough to be
deciding who should be in the government.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Lemon juice. That's all you need.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
This is right up there with the shenanigans that goes on in "those neighborhoods" under people like Rev. Al... "Here's your ballot. Even though you can't read or write, we'll make it easy. Just put an X next to the name with a D (draws a D) behind it."