VR Thread: Occulus, Vive, etc

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Huh, must have been a PS+ game. I already own it.
Yeah, it was last year some time, you probably just added it to your library and didn't bother to even download it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Yeah, it was last year some time, you probably just added it to your library and didn't bother to even download it.
Yup. Always do. Even if it's something I don't want because...why not?

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Yup. Always do. Even if it's something I don't want because...why not?
Bingo. I MOSTLY try to download them and at least give them a try, but if I didn't have a VR and that came up, obviously there's no download. But yeah, for a free game, that one rocks a fat ass.

Do you have experience in VR? If not, you gotta ease into it or you're going to get nauseous after 15-20 minutes.

BIV

Bingo. I MOSTLY try to download them and at least give them a try, but if I didn't have a VR and that came up, obviously there's no download. But yeah, for a free game, that one rocks a fat ass.

Do you have experience in VR? If not, you gotta ease into it or you're going to get nauseous after 15-20 minutes.
Only a little, but I'm almost completely immune to motion sickness

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Only a little, but I'm almost completely immune to motion sickness
Well, that will help you a shit-ton. The one hint I'd give you is to have some little fan or something blowing on you. Really helps. Otherwise, rock on. I love my PSVR, even though I got bad vertigo in the beginning of the year with that terrible flu that went around and I couldn't even get into the helmet. [extremely monty python voice] I got better!

BIV

Well, that will help you a shit-ton. The one hint I'd give you is to have some little fan or something blowing on you. Really helps. Otherwise, rock on. I love my PSVR, even though I got bad vertigo in the beginning of the year with that terrible flu that went around and I couldn't even get into the helmet. [extremely monty python voice] I got better!
Looking online, I might have got scammed on my move controllers. I don't think they are V2, as advertised. I'll have to check when I get home. V2 are supposed to come with cables and I don't think mine did.

Floyd1977

I got a PSVR last year. I defiantly think it’s neat, thought I haven’t really had the time over the last year to spend as much time as I wanted to with it. But the main games I played on it was

Star Wars battlefront (which comes a VR mission). That’s pretty impressive. The title screen has an AT-AT walking by and you finally get a real perspective on how huge they are.

Resident Evil 7: I only did the DLC post story add on, but the entire game is VR compatible.

Batman VR: Short but visually impressive

Rush of Blood, Until Dawn: Had some freaky moments

Rick and Morty: Amusing, but short and you don’t do much in the game other than solve puzzles and do chores for Rick

Keep Talking and No One Explodes: Decent Co-Op communication game where the guy who wears the head set is tasked with defusing a bomb (that only he can see) and the others have to provide disarming instructions based on the defusers descriptions of the bomb.

Doom VFR: haven’t gotten to far into it yet.

I downloaded Eagle Flight and Apollo 11 recently but haven’t played them yet. Got AstroBot on a Black Friday special but haven’t tried it out yet (but supposed to be very good).

So far the main problems I have encountered were the frustrating tendency of the lenses to easily fog up. And the move controllers can sometimes be frustrating to use. I have old ones from the PS3 era, not sure if the newer ones respond better. And I would like to see more AAA titles with at least some VR content like Red Dead 4. Alien Isolation would have been Killer in VR, but that ship has almost certainly sailed.

One other word of caution, I don’t know if V1 sets are still floating around, but make sure you get a V2 headset. The first ones couldn’t pass 4K through the VR control box. Newer ones can.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I got a PSVR last year. I defiantly think it’s neat, thought I haven’t really had the time over the last year to spend as much time as I wanted to with it. But the main games I played on it was

Star Wars battlefront (which comes a VR mission). That’s pretty impressive. The title screen has an AT-AT walking by and you finally get a real perspective on how huge they are.

Resident Evil 7: I only did the DLC post story add on, but the entire game is VR compatible.

Rick and Morty: Amusing, but short and you don’t do much in the game other than solve puzzles and do chores for Rick

Keep Talking and No One Explodes: Decent Co-Op communication game where the guy who wears the head set is tasked with defusing a bomb (that only he can see) and the others have to provide disarming instructions based on the defusers descriptions of the bomb.

I downloaded Eagle Flight and Apollo 11 recently but haven’t played them yet. Got AstroBot on a Black Friday special but haven’t tried it out yet (but supposed to be very good).

So far the main problems I have encountered were the frustrating tendency of the lenses to easily fog up. And the move controllers can sometimes be frustrating to use. I have old ones from the PS3 era, not sure if the newer ones respond better. And I would like to see more AAA titles with at least some VR content like Red Dead 4. Alien Isolation would have been Killer in VR, but that ship has almost certainly sailed.

One other word of caution, I don’t know if V1 sets are still floating around, but make sure you get a V2 headset. The first ones couldn’t pass 4K through the VR control box. Newer ones can.
Next VR game that they're advertising on TV is Borderlands 2 VR. Might be insanity if done right.

BIV

Okay, I need to Try the Battlefront content.

Moss and Tetris Effect are both great in VR. I want to try Beat Saber.

I've got both the pass through visor and the 2nd gen controllers, though I haven't played any games that use them.
Next VR game that they're advertising on TV is Borderlands 2 VR. Might be insanity if done right.
That caught my attention as well. I hope they release a demo

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Okay, I need to Try the Battlefront content.

Moss and Tetris Effect are both great in VR. I want to try Beat Saber.

I've got both the pass through visor and the 2nd gen controllers, though I haven't played any games that use them.

That caught my attention as well. I hope they release a demo
The Battlefront battle is fucking amazing. You're going to jizz all up into your nerd helmet.

Pickle

New graphics card tested well yesterday so the system should be ready to run the Rift on Christmas. Also got an extra sensor.

New graphics card tested well yesterday so the system should be ready to run the Rift on Christmas. Also got an extra sensor.
Ah, been looking for something to burn up a $50 newegg card that expires this month. I hear a 3rd sensor really helps but it looks like it's best to have one at the back of your play area, guess that means an extension cable too.

Enjoyed the Rift for the couple of days that I played with it. Haven't played all the titles I purchased off Steam yet but Gorn, Beat Saber and Superhot have been pretty fun.

Pickle

Ah, been looking for something to burn up a $50 newegg card that expires this month. I hear a 3rd sensor really helps but it looks like it's best to have one at the back of your play area, guess that means an extension cable too.

Enjoyed the Rift for the couple of days that I played with it. Haven't played all the titles I purchased off Steam yet but Gorn, Beat Saber and Superhot have been pretty fun.
Extension cable and wall mounts were discussed, but I want to make sure everything works well first.

Extension cable and wall mounts were discussed, but I want to make sure everything works well first.
I bought some dinky camera mounts for mine but haven't messed with it yet. Keep getting distracted with other projects lately.

I've got my powerful PC setup in the living room so still deciding how to wire it all up. Thinking of just hanging the sensors off the articulating TV mount that I have, with some brackets off the sound bar. Probably not ideal to have two forward firing sensors but oh well. For a third sensor I may just keep it on the stand it comes with and set it on a shelf ad hoc when I pull the Rift out. Or maybe even on the floor as my rear facing sensor.

Never thought I would have to deal with needing extra USB ports but between the rift (3 not counting a third sensor), one each for gamepad, mouse and keyboard.

Pickle

I bought some dinky camera mounts for mine but haven't messed with it yet. Keep getting distracted with other projects lately.

I've got my powerful PC setup in the living room so still deciding how to wire it all up. Thinking of just hanging the sensors off the articulating TV mount that I have, with some brackets off the sound bar. Probably not ideal to have two forward firing sensors but oh well. For a third sensor I may just keep it on the stand it comes with and set it on a shelf ad hoc when I pull the Rift out. Or maybe even on the floor as my rear facing sensor.

Never thought I would have to deal with needing extra USB ports but between the rift (3 not counting a third sensor), one each for gamepad, mouse and keyboard.
Dayum. Good thing the graphics amplifier adds 4 additional USB ports.

DiggerNick

Donator
I bought (second-hand) and installed an Oculus Rift yesterday and have been getting the hang of it, especially integrating Steam games. Steam's VR 'Home' set-up looks far better than Oculus's does.

My computer is pretty much at the minimum specs, but it's still fairly impressive. I got vertigo during the short SPIDER-MAN VR demo and had to sit down. I wouldn't show that one to either of my parents, they'd go right over.

I've been trying to get ELITE DANGEROUS VR to work and it's been a problem. Maybe I just need more graphics horsepower for that one.

The virtual cinema is cool but doesn't run blu-rays.

I'm liking it so far. Come back in a month and see if I have buyer's remorse or not.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
I’ve been mulling getting the Oculus Go. I played a demo on the Rift and liked it, but I’m never going to spend the money necessary for a good setup. $250 for a self contained unit that doesn’t require a PC can be done. I realize it doesn’t play games like the Rift can. The thing holding me back is the shitty two hour battery life and that it’s a 1st gen product. I know as soon as I buy it, the Oculus Go 2 will be announced, doing everything you wished the 1 did.

DiggerNick

Donator
I started playing the BATMAN ARKHAM VR today and it's pretty great. It focuses much more on puzzles and detective work than action.

BEAT SABRE is the game everyone's beating their meat over lately.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I bought (second-hand) and installed an Oculus Rift yesterday and have been getting the hang of it, especially integrating Steam games. Steam's VR 'Home' set-up looks far better than Oculus's does.

My computer is pretty much at the minimum specs, but it's still fairly impressive. I got vertigo during the short SPIDER-MAN VR demo and had to sit down. I wouldn't show that one to either of my parents, they'd go right over.

I've been trying to get ELITE DANGEROUS VR to work and it's been a problem. Maybe I just need more graphics horsepower for that one.

The virtual cinema is cool but doesn't run blu-rays.

I'm liking it so far. Come back in a month and see if I have buyer's remorse or not.
You gotta ease into VR. Do short stints at first, 15-20 minutes max for the first couple times. Gradually add more time or intensity, and when you’ve got your legs under you, that’s when you can do the big ticket shit like Skyrim VR or whatever. Oh, having a little fan blow on you while you’re in the nerd helmet makes all the difference in the world.

BIV

If you wear a sweat band under the VR helmet, it helps reduce the fogging while playing games like Beatsaber