Wackbag Book Club 3月2014年 - Hugo Award Winners

What Book should we read?

• Where Late The Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neon

ネオン
I wasn't sure what to do so I said fuck it and went with the one source that never disappoints me - Hugo award winners. I picked one from each decade - 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's - just for the hell of it. Oh, and I've only read one of these (Downbelow Station) but I happen to love Stephenson and Vinge. Just haven't had a chance to read these specific books. Also chose 2 male and 2 female but that was random. I considered doing all female just for kicks but the Stephenson and Vinge books interest me more than the alternative I came across.

My biggest problem was relinquishing the longer ones. I just happen to like long form sci-fi and some of my favorites are quite long. Oh well... Here goes nothing.

70's - Where Late The Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm

Now one of her most famous novels returns to print, the spellbinding story of an isolated post-holocaust community determined to preserve itself, thru a perilous experiment in cloning. Sweeping, dramatic, rich with humanity, & rigorous in its science, Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang is widely regarded as a high point of both humanistic & hard SF, winning SF's Hugo Award & Locus Award on its first publication. It's as compelling today as it was then.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/968827.Where_Late_the_Sweet_Birds_Sang

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

80's - Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh

A legend among sci-fi readers, C. J. Cherryh's Union-Alliance novels, while separate and complete in themselves, are part of a much larger tapestry - a future history spanning 5,000 years of human civilization.
Here is the 20th anniversary edition of Downbelow Station, the book that won Cherryh a Hugo Award for Best novel in 1982. A blockbuster space opera of the rebellion between Earth and its far-flung colonies, it is a classic science fiction masterwork.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57045.Downbelow_Station

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

90's - The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer is a postcyberpunk novel by Neal Stephenson. It is to some extent a science fiction coming-of-age story, focused on a young girl named Nell, and set in a future world in which nanotechnology affects all aspects of life. The novel deals with themes of education, social class, ethnicity, and the nature of artificial intelligence.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/827.The_Diamond_Age

2000's - Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge

Robert Gu is a recovering Alzheimer's patient. The world that he remembers was much as we know it today. Now, as he regains his faculties through a cure developed during the years of his near-fatal decline, he discovers that the world has changed and so has his place in it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102439.Rainbows_End

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Why the hell do we need multiple votes with only 4 choices?

Neon

ネオン
I don't fucking know. I only did that because I figured people would bitch if I didn't do it and now you're bitching that I did do it? Who gives a shit? You're not participating anyway.

Pigdango

Donator
I don't fucking know. I only did that because I figured people would bitch if I didn't do it and now you're bitching that I did do it? Who gives a shit? You're not participating anyway.
You never know when I'll sneak in and read one. I decided to spend January reading RPO instead of Ask the Dust. As for February, I find my enthusiasm wanes when the results aren't even final, it's two weeks before the start of the month, and one person has read the book with the most votes and pronounced it shite.

But I was just making a joke anyway. Jesus.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
You've read one book from the Book Club six months after it was done, you have no say in anything.

I hate these choices. I demand a redo.

Seriously though, I am curious about all four so I did brief looking into them (not so much to get spoilers, but enough to learn what I'm getting into). Short answer: the Stephenson thing.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
You never know when I'll sneak in and read one. I decided to spend January reading RPO instead of Ask the Dust. As for February, I find my enthusiasm wanes when the results aren't even final, it's two weeks before the start of the month, and one person has read the book with the most votes and pronounced it shite.

But I was just making a joke anyway. Jesus.
Several of us have. BIV liked it, Falldog liked it against his better judgment, Flash didn't care for it, Tetro found it easy, DrewDown didn't like it, and I just wanted to give up on life.

I don't know where Neon is with it, but I think he should be like halfway through.

Pigdango

Donator
Several of us have. BIV liked it, Falldog liked it against his better judgment, Flash didn't care for it, Tetro found it easy, DrewDown didn't like it, and I just wanted to give up on life.
The month isn't even over yet. I've still got time to read it, or maybe I'll race you with whatever one of these wins, because everyone knows Book Club is about who finishes first.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
The month isn't even over yet. I've still got time to read it, or maybe I'll race you with whatever one of these wins, because everyone knows Book Club is about who finishes first.
@BIV will win. He loves mentioning how fast he reads books.

Leaning towards Stephenson as well.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I was hoping RP1 would give you reading fever. I have failed.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Went with Rainbow's End, it was pretty much between that and The Diamond Age, but when I read more about DA it sounded less and less interesting.

DrewDown

All are welcome
I've been wanting to read something by Stephenson for some time now and haven't gotten around to it. Unfortunately, the fact that I voted for it only means that "old man wakes up" book will win. Who doesn't love a Rip VanWinkle story this time of year...

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I've been wanting to read something by Stephenson for some time now and haven't gotten around to it. Unfortunately, the fact that I voted for it only means that "old man wakes up" book will win. Who doesn't love a Rip VanWinkle story this time of year...
But Liddy voted for DA and he never loses. At least one streak will finally be broken.

Went with Rainbow's End, it was pretty much between that and The Diamond Age, but when I read more about DA it sounded less and less interesting.
A lot with Stephenson is in the writing itself. He is very talented.

Go read Cryptonomicon. I couldn't offer that one because it's 1,200 pages long but it's still one of the best books I know.

Pigdango

Donator
I was hoping RP1 would give you reading fever. I have failed.
And I was hoping getting Netflix would give you HitW fever. I too have failed.

But don't count me out just yet. While there's no way I'd ever get through 12 books in a year, I have confidence that I will read at least half of this year's book club books - that is, if @NeonTaster and @LiddyRules don't kick me out first. So there's a benefit to Liddy and others racing ahead to make sure their opinions are registered first. Reading at a slower pace and having less time to spend on it means I have to be choosy. If I start to see negative comments piling up, that's probably a chance for me to play catchup or look ahead to the next month. Like at the moment I'm more interested in finishing High Rise than reading ToE.

I suppose I should have asked or should still ask if it's mandatory to read all 12 books.

By the way I should mention that 3 of this months choices sound really interesting. So good on you, Neon.

DrewDown

All are welcome
I would wager that the best of these books is actually Kate Wilhelm's. I've read some of her short stories, like "Baby, You Were Great." For some reason, I'm more interested in Stephenson at the moment.

DrewDown

All are welcome
Like @Pigdango, I'm a pretty slow reader. That makes my job near impossible sometimes. I have to be pretty choosy about what I read, but I'm willing to look into the Necronomicon even if it is 1,200 pages. What harm can come from it?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
And I was hoping getting Netflix would give you HitW fever. I too have failed.

But don't count me out just yet. While there's no way I'd ever get through 12 books in a year, I have confidence that I will read at least half of this year's book club books - that is, if @NeonTaster and @LiddyRules don't kick me out first. So there's a benefit to Liddy and others racing ahead to make sure their opinions are registered first. Reading at a slower pace and having less time to spend on it means I have to be choosy. If I start to see negative comments piling up, that's probably a chance for me to play catchup or look ahead to the next month. Like at the moment I'm more interested in finishing High Rise than reading ToE.

I suppose I should have asked or should still ask if it's mandatory to read all 12 books.

By the way I should mention that 3 of this months choices sound really interesting. So good on you, Neon.
If you don't read all 12, you will face a tribunal at the end of year and we will decide your fate.

Which choice didn't you like?

Like @Pigdango, I'm a pretty slow reader. That makes my job near impossible sometimes. I have to be pretty choosy about what I read, but I'm willing to look into the Necronomicon even if it is 1,200 pages. What harm can come from it?
It's a tough cookie but well worth it. I've always been a fluent English speaker, but when I first read that book at 17 I barely understood it. Took me several years before I could really grasp a lot of the imagery and stuff.

DrewDown

All are welcome
It's a tough cookie but well worth it. I've always been a fluent English speaker, but when I first read that book at 17 I barely understood it. Took me several years before I could really grasp a lot of the imagery and stuff.
Way to sell it, Neon.