• CyberStorm

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Brainrush

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
And Bureaucrat would be "Public relations!" And the medal of honor chick would be all "you can stick your public relations where the sun don't shine!" And Grayson would be "she's tough and can run really fast. You're not going to keep her down."
Add "everywhere sucks but New Hampshire" and "humans are ants in the eyes of others" and you pretty much have book 2.

Falldog

Donator
That wasn't a bad concept so I'm not surprised he ran with it.
It's a great concept, just so blandly explored.

Lankies keep showing up, taking over colonies with ease. When they show up the colonists either need to evac quickly or they end up dead shortly after. The NA forces start equipping new weapons made to deal with Lankies but about all they can do is nuke them from orbit which has its own set of issues. At the very end of the book they finally manage to take out one of their seed ships only to find out that they just showed up at Mars and killed some 24 million people.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
It's a great concept, just so blandly explored.

Lankies keep showing up, taking over colonies with ease. When they show up the colonists either need to evac quickly or they end up dead shortly after. The NA forces start equipping new weapons made to deal with Lankies but about all they can do is nuke them from orbit which has its own set of issues. At the very end of the book they finally manage to take out one of their seed ships only to find out that they just showed up at Mars and killed some 24 million people.
I guess that is better than him exploring bad concepts poorly. He calls them "Lankies"? Ha. Before trying nukes, why not try other things first? Like set up a rope to trip them?

Falldog

Donator
I guess that is better than him exploring bad concepts poorly. He calls them "Lankies"? Ha. Before trying nukes, why not try other things first? Like set up a rope to trip them?
You ever tried to trip up a 80 foot dog with skin so thick you can't shoot normal bullets through it?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
You ever tried to trip up a 80 foot dog with skin so thick you can't shoot normal bullets through it?
Marco's solution would be...one rope didn't work so combine a weak rope with a strong rope...and science fiction.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
One of my big problems with the novel, and I get a sense that it's going to extend into the second one is that...

The humans were such dicks that I couldn't really root for them (and especially not without sounding like a left-of-communist). You have this super elite class who can move to other planets (how do they get their money, what industries are successful, how does one break into it, etc.) and the privileged NA military who enjoys massacring civilians. Plus some weird cold war-ish thing with Russia and China that's never really explained or explored. It's like the only reason we're supposed to like these people is because they're Americans and humans.

Once.

Falldog

Donator
One of my big problems with the novel, and I get a sense that it's going to extend into the second one is that...

The humans were such dicks that I couldn't really root for them (and especially not without sounding like a left-of-communist). You have this super elite class who can move to other planets (how do they get their money, what industries are successful, how does one break into it, etc.) and the privileged NA military who enjoys massacring civilians. Plus some weird cold war-ish thing with Russia and China that's never really explained or explored. It's like the only reason we're supposed to like these people is because they're Americans and humans.

Once.
It's not a cold war, it's very active in space but passive aggressive on Earth I guess. Somehow NA has Mars and the Moon, but they're otherwise equal with Russia/China. They are always attacking each other and trying to take each others colonies for no good reason. The Detroit 2.0 sequence in book 2 is Grayson participating in some sort of massive attack on a Russian/Chinese colony. Why? No one knows. Because spending all their time going after Lankies isn't good enough I guess.

LiddyRules

I guess that is better than him exploring bad concepts poorly.
I disagree with that. I'd appreciate some effort as opposed to zero effort. Failing is far more fascinating than laziness. At least with failing, you could be like "okay, he's green, but he has ideas. He's not quite ready yet, but he's finding his voice." With this, there's nothing.

Falldog

Donator
I disagree with that. I'd appreciate some effort as opposed to zero effort. Failing is far more fascinating than laziness. At least with failing, you could be like "okay, he's green, but he has ideas. He's not quite ready yet, but he's finding his voice." With this, there's nothing.
I really think it's like he realized "Hey, I can write a book. I like sci-fi," and he proceeds to sit down and write a book.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
You're right. I agree.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I really think it's like he realized "Hey, I can write a book. I like sci-fi," and he proceeds to sit down and write a book.
To be fair, he did have one research book next to him. It was his 6th grade journal that contained entries of him and his buddies playing soldier vs alien.

LiddyRules

To be fair, he did have one research book next to him. It was his 6th grade journal that contained entries of him and his buddies playing soldier vs alien.
How the Battle of Detroit originally ended

@Falldog , is the Battle of Detroit mentioned in Book 2?

Falldog

Donator
If you read his brief bio on Amazon it's almost a list of all the things he incorporated into the novels... "Marko writes primarily science fiction and fantasy. He has been getting his genre fix at the library ever since he was old enough for his first library card. In the past, he has been a soldier, a bookseller, a freight dock worker, a tech support drone, and a corporate IT administrator."

Falldog

Donator
How the Battle of Detroit originally ended

@Falldog , is the Battle of Detroit mentioned in Book 2?
Yeah.
It serves as a point of reference for the escalation of housing complex violence and is part of what leads Grayson and friends to rebel.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
If you read his brief bio on Amazon it's almost a list of all the things he incorporated into the novels... "Marko writes primarily science fiction and fantasy. He has been getting his genre fix at the library ever since he was old enough for his first library card. In the past, he has been a soldier, a bookseller, a freight dock worker, a tech support drone, and a corporate IT administrator."
His next book is going to be about a writer who gets really good ratings on mediocre books.

Falldog

Donator
His next book is going to be about a writer who gets really good ratings on mediocre books.
Why you gotta be making me hate the guy? He's probably really nice and enjoys the simplicity of writing.

Falldog

Donator
Now on to the one with the coolest cover,
Brilliance

So far it seems like X-Men, but replace mutant powers with smartness.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
This is my best day ever on the bag. I received 5 likes from @LiddyRules. When I retire, this is the one everyone will talk about.

I am so proud, I have to tag @Pigdango