• The Hunt for Atlantis

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Okay, I have made my final four for you fuckers to choose from for the book club for January. Two fantasy, two fiction. I have read both of the fiction ones before, but never the fantasy. Here are the BN and Amazon links for all four titles. Take a look, and vote.

Mistborn

BN Amazon

The Innocent Mage

BN Amazon

The Relic

BN Amazon

The Hunt for Atlantis

BN Amazon

All four are the first books in series. The Relic is the first book in my personal favorite series of all time. Voting will close in 18 days, and the winner at that point will be the first WackBook.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Hmmm. Never read any of those. I have Mistborn 1 and The Relic on my flash drive already (which means I can share them with you folks if we chose one of those).

And BTW, holy shit, TEN Pendergast books? Cripes.

I'll have to research these a bit more before I decide.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I've never read Mistborn, but I have the books. I'd join in if it won so I threw in a vote for it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
20 looks and only three comments? We need commentary here people, discussion, debate, debauchery, deloreans...

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Picked Relic, but Mistborn also sounds pretty cool, so if it is a tie between it and one of the remaining two, you can consider my tiebreaker vote cast for Mistborn.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Which of the four books stand alone the best?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
IIRC, the first Mistborn stands alone pretty well. I will probably vote for it and reread because Sanderson is the shit and I want other people to read Stormlight. I might change my mind and go Relic. The Innocent Mage isn't as good as Mistborn.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Like to know this too, since I probably can't commit to another series right now.

I'm leaning towards Relic, but Mistborn is my second choice. Haven't voted yet, going to read some of the reviews on Amazon first.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
IIRC, the first Mistborn stands alone pretty well. I will probably vote for it and reread because Sanderson is the shit and I want other people to read Stormlight. I might change my mind and go Relic. The Innocent Mage isn't as good as Mistborn.
Have you read Relic before?

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
The Relic stands pretty well on it's own. It was years after I read it that I found out it was a series and got hooked on it. Atlantis stands well alone, but you know it will be a great series from the first one. The two fantasy one I haven't read yet, but I want to, so was hoping for a reason to buy one.

I will say that my vote is for The Relic, even though I have read it about 4 times, because I have never talked to anyone about it who has read it before. I honestly don't know anyone who has read any of the series, and knowing what you people think about books that I like, I know you fuckos will love it too.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I decided to vote for The Relic without reading too much more about it because I want to be surprised.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Wait wait, it's THAT Relic? Yeesh, I hope the book isn't like the dumb movie.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Haha, I think I've seen The Relic also, years ago. Completely forgot about it.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
The movie is easily the worst movie I have ever seen. The most important character in the books is not in the movie.

I hate the movie, yet the book is easily my favorite book of all time. If The Relic wins, block the movie from your head.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The movie is easily the worst movie I have ever seen. The most important character in the books is not in the movie.

I hate the movie, yet the book is easily my favorite book of all time. If The Relic wins, block the movie from your head.
1. I don't really remember the movie.

2. I know all about awful movies based on fantastic books. If you say the book rules, I will absolutely trust you.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I thought Mira Sorvino starred in Relic. But that was Mimic.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
1. I don't really remember the movie.

2. I know all about awful movies based on fantastic books. If you say the book rules, I will absolutely trust you.
I met the authors one time, during the Q+A segment of the event, before anyone asked a question, the first thing they said was "We're sorry about the movie. We had no creative control. We will not be selling the rights to any of the other books to any movie company." This was 5 or 6 years ago now, and so far so good.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I thought Mira Sorvino starred in Relic. But that was Mimic.
Mimic actually had a decent concept, but it came out during the absolute low point of movies like that. Relic, Mimic, Species (despite the H.R. Giger design for the creature), and several others in that whole "oooh, what does the creature look like?" genre.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I met the authors one time, during the Q+A segment of the event, before anyone asked a question, the first thing they said was "We're sorry about the movie. We had no creative control. We will not be selling the rights to any of the other books to any movie company." This was 5 or 6 years ago now, and so far so good.
I wonder if authors have a pool going of whose book gets fucked up the most. One that REALLY stands out to me is Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. That book is fucking GREAT and the movie basically removed the thing that was the entire point of the story. They gutted it and turned it into a regular alien monster movie thing. If you saw it and never read the book you'd probably think "Stephen King wrote this? Doesn't seem like his style."

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I wonder if authors have a pool going of whose book gets fucked up the most. One that REALLY stands out to me is Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. That book is fucking GREAT and the movie basically removed the thing that was the entire point of the story. They gutted it and turned it into a regular alien monster movie thing. If you saw it and never read the book you'd probably think "Stephen King wrote this? Doesn't seem like his style."
I think I'm going to watch Dreamcatcher again just to get angry. They destroyed the fucking story.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Since it looks like The Relic is going to win, even though there is plenty of time between now and then, I will suffer and watch the movie during January and point out all the shit that is wrong between the two. As much as I hate that movie, I will always watch it if I see it on. I really am a self hating douche.