Wackbag Book Club June Selection Thread

What book shall we read in June?

• Total voters

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Here are my selections for the merry merry month of June:

1) RULE OF THE BONE by Russell Banks. When I taught English at a private school in NY that catered to kids with issues, one of those kids suggested this book to me, and after reading it I taught it for years. It's a bit of a 1990's take on CATCHER IN THE RYE to a point, but that's oversimplifying. They made a few movies of Bank's novels over the years, including THE SWEET HEREAFTER.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060927240/?tag=wackbagcom-20

2) LAMB: THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO BIFF, CHRISTS CHILDHOOD PAL by Christopher Moore. I love Moore. I've read everything he's written. This one is a stand alone-most of his novels intersect a bit but this one is a lot of fun. It's really funny.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0380813815/?tag=wackbagcom-20

3) In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin: by Erik Larson. He wrote the Chicago World's fair book we read a while back and I have had this on my desk for a year. I figured if we enjoyed the Fair one this one would be worth a look, and I thought it would be better to suggest a few non fiction books that I haven't read to keep it balanced.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/030740885X/?tag=wackbagcom-20

4) Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook : by Anthony Bourdain. I just read his first book, Kitchen Confidential, and loved it. This is the follow-up, but it revisits the points he made in the first, so I think it's generally an ok starting point for him. I'm a fan and I'm going to read it anyway and thought it was a different sort of thing than has been an option to date, so there it is.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CC6DJW6/?tag=wackbagcom-20

So, whatcha think?

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
voted purely on the fact that I'm watching Anthony Bourdain right now.

Its like fate, maaaaannnnnn

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Not even a hesitation. Bourdain it is.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
In the Garden of Beasts. I actually had the audiobook of it a few months ago I listened to part of it and put it down. I deleted it a while back by mistake. If anyone has it let me know. I also chose it because Erik Larson is the shit.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Glad to see some discussion and nothing running away. I've read the first two and will read the others regardless, so it's all good for kugs

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
In the Garden of Beasts. I actually had the audiobook of it a few months ago I listened to part of it and put it down. I deleted it a while back by mistake. If anyone has it let me know. I also chose it because Erik Larson is the shit.
Huh, just realized Erik Larson is a character in Dies the Fire.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
If the Bourdain book wins could someone source an audiobook version? I'd love to hear Bourdain read the book himself.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Voted Lamb, but I will read any of these other than the Bordain one. I don't know why, but I really can not stand that man.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Voted Lamb, but I will read any of these other than the Bordain one. I don't know why, but I really can not stand that man.
I don't know why, but that surprises me. Lamb is great tho

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
I don't know why, but that surprises me. Lamb is great tho
I do not know why, but there is something about the man that bothers the piss out of me. I have tried watching his shows, but I can not get into them at all. He makes me want to punch my TV in anger.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Voted for Rule of the Bone. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite novels, so the comparison caught my attention.

Looks like I'm going to pick a losing horse for once though.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Voted for Rule of the Bone. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite novels, so the comparison caught my attention.

Looks like I'm going to pick a losing horse for once though.
It's such a great book. I taught it for years at that school and it was often the first book some of those kids had read in their lives

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I went Bordain but I would go In the garden of beasts as well

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It's such a great book. I taught it for years at that school and it was often the first book some of those kids had read in their lives
RotB is now on my to-read list, so even if it's not picked I'm going to try to get to it next month in addition to whatever book we read (kinda looking like Bourdain).

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
If bourdain holds on and you guys want to read this books immediate precursor, it's a quick read, Kitchen Confidential. Really enjoyed it

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
May 12, 2009
Maine
I voted Bourdain, I read his first book and it was great and I am gonna read this one anyway

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
May 12, 2009
Maine
Many thanks, I have been poking through here when I run out of crap to read and none of the suggestions you guys have made have been bad so far so I figured I would try to read with you.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Many thanks, I have been poking through here when I run out of crap to read and none of the suggestions you guys have made have been bad so far so I figured I would try to read with you.
Cool. You really should give the May selection a try. Fun book.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I finished ready player one for the second time today. It was even better the second time and i'm sad I finished it so soon

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
If bourdain holds on and you guys want to read this books immediate precursor, it's a quick read, Kitchen Confidential. Really enjoyed it
Sure im cool with that

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I know I am being a close minded ass but I can't imagine this Anthony Bourdain book being good. Every time he speaks, I get angry. He is slimy and pretentious. The description doesn't help, "he takes aim at David Ching, Alice Waters, and Top Chef Winners." Oh no, not David Ching!!! Who the fuck is David Ching? The audiobook narrator is Anthony Bourdain so I will be reading this one. I cringed thinking about 9 hours of the his awful voice.

edit: Oh, I'm sorry it is David Chang. Who the fuck is David Chang?

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I really enjoyed Kitchen Confidential. Give that one a few chapters and see how you like it. My hope is that this one, its sequel will be good too, but I've not read it.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Is it possible to see who voted for what? It says my vote will show up publicly but I don't see anything.