• Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Gridlinked by Neal Asher

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Yeah, that was definitely pretty douchey, but I got a sense he was going for that. These people are supposed to be giant socially inept dorks. Just go on any message board and you'll see arguments like that. God knows I see them on anime message boards all the time hahahahaha.

EDIT: I basically repeated what Tom said but yeah...
I hope none of you will take this badly when I say I felt Wade was a weird amalgamation of you, Liddy and Flash.

Pigdango

Donator
Yeah. Although a truly good adaptation would have all the OASIS scenes look slightly CGI-ish anyway, so at least in that sense it wouldn't be impossible to pull off and have it look cool.
All the OASIS scenes should look entirely CGI, because they should be entirely CGI, because they were entirely CGI in the book.

Pigdango

Donator
That is why it would be impossible to film. No way could they find a fat black actress who could play anything other than fat and sassy.
I immediately thought of Precious. It would be so fucking perfect. If you didn't read the book, tell me you wouldn't be fucking STUNNED at that reveal.

DrewDown

All are welcome
I immediately thought of Precious. It would be so fucking perfect. If you didn't read the book, tell me you wouldn't be fucking STUNNED at that reveal.
A stoke of genius. Call her agent and book her. Hopefully she doesn't lose the weight before this is made.

I wonder, though, if you wouldn't hear her fat blackness in the voice. No mistaking that.

All the OASIS scenes should look entirely CGI, because they should be entirely CGI, because they were entirely CGI in the book.
I just mean that in the book OASIS is described as being very realistic but still clearly not real life, so good quality CGI would be perfect.

I see Piggy hasn't gotten to my hilarious meme avalanche.

Pigdango

Donator
I should rephrase my answer. I didn't mean that I would necessarily date this exact person (although I might be more inclined to than Liddy), but more that in this scenario I definitely would - that is, to meet a girl you click with on every level but she's got port wine face? Totally doable. I've seen pretty port wine face girls before. It actually doesn't bother me that much at all. It's almost like dating a tatted chuck.
This is probably a discussion better served for after I've seen Her, but that right there is a big fucking problem. You CAN'T click with someone "on every level" if you CAN'T click with her physically. Physical attraction is a key component to any successful relationship. Simulating a relationship is not and can never be the same as being in one. If you believe that Wade loved Arty or that Phoenix loved Siri, you're doing it wrong. Obsession does not equal love. The reason an epilogue or sequel would be a bad idea is because Wade and Artemis, like most 80's movie couples - are doomed to fail.

This is probably a discussion better served for after I've seen Her, but that right there is a big fucking problem. You CAN'T click with someone "on every level" if you CAN'T click with her physically. Physical attraction is a key component to any successful relationship. Simulating a relationship is not and can never be the same as being in one. If you believe that Wade loved Arty or that Phoenix loved Siri, you're doing it wrong. Obsession does not equal love. The reason an epilogue or sequel would be a bad idea is because Wade and Artemis, like most 80's movie couples - are doomed to fail.
Why would I want to watch Her? And I have become more physically attracted to women because of emotional/mental connections before.

Pigdango

Donator
Just thought I would note that staying true to my book experience, I skipped Liddy and Neon's discussion on Eternity Pangs.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
It's not May ye... anymor... what the fuck is going on?!

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
They would move in together and part ways in three days.

Pigdango

Donator
I was thinking about what my final gate game/movie would be last night. Holy Grail was a good choice but if you go with Blazing Saddles you would get to drop the N bomb multiple times in front of the world and Aech. For the video game, I was thinking Punch Out. What better way to end than fighting Tyson? Maybe Tecmo Bowl.
Blazing Saddles is good, but it's also a 70's movie. For my 80's movie, I would pick Clue, and you'd have to also make sure to only walk through the Piggy approved ending. For video game, the challenge would be to create a pitch by pitch simulation of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series onRBI Baseball. I know that's been done, but that would be the easy part. Clue would be tricky. Deduct 100 points for incorrectly slurping your soup. I know you hate that movie, but fuck you, it's fantastic.

Pigdango

Donator

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Blazing Saddles is good, but it's also a 70's movie. For my 80's movie, I would pick Clue, and you'd have to also make sure to only walk through the Piggy approved ending. For video game, the challenge would be to create a pitch by pitch simulation of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series onRBI Baseball. I know that's been done, but that would be the easy part. Clue would be tricky. Deduct 100 points for incorrectly slurping your soup. I know you hate that movie, but fuck you, it's fantastic.
Holy Grail was 70's too. I thought of RBI as well, another good choice.

Pigdango

Donator
I also can't say I agree with his using two friends to enter the final game. He probably knew people were working alone. If you get to the end and realize you made it but because you were so focused on the quest you had no friends, what would you do? Contact two of the gunters you trust most and tell them how to solve every puzzle? Would Halliday even have two friends?
Halliday had two friends - Og and Og's wife, whose name I've forgotten.

I'll also reveal that I was going to start the next HitW that had all three of us participating with this:

I just finished the book, so now I'm going through old posts. I've been waiting to peek under all those spoiler tags.

If she's hot and has a nice rack, then I'm all in.
Portwine face usually equals not hot.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Did Cline even mention a single sports video game? That's nearly all I played so I wish he would have.