Wackbag's Catch-All Basketball Thread

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Here's a fun exercise. Try to pick the top 8 teams in the west. It's tough even getting Lebron in the playoffs.
Time to abandon the east vs west playoff format and go to the top 16 teams. Weed out the cannon fodder teams in the first two rounds and enjoy the rest of the playoffs.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Ohhh, it's too cool Piggy.

How do you do, my lady.
What a strange response.

I suppose there’s a hypothetical situation where 2-8 comes into play - plane crash, catastrophic run of injuries, etc. But barring that, do you give any team in the West a great chance of beating them? If not, then what’s the point of ranking them? I honestly think the chances of something like Steph Curry getting struck by lightning are higher than them losing to someone in the West.

If being realistic makes me too cool, that’s...weird.

Let’s rank the 8 most likely tragedies that would have to happen to the Warriors for another team to have a chance.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
What a strange response.

I suppose there’s a hypothetical situation where 2-8 comes into play - plane crash, catastrophic run of injuries, etc. But barring that, do you give any team in the West a great chance of beating them? If not, then what’s the point of ranking them? I honestly think the chances of something like Steph Curry getting struck by lightning are higher than them losing to someone in the West.

If being realistic makes me too cool, that’s...weird.

Let’s rank the 8 most likely tragedies that would have to happen to the Warriors for another team to have a chance.
I think you missed the point. We all agree the Warriors are the best, although the Rockets had them beat last year.
It's interesting to me that a few good teams aren't going to be in the playoffs, including possibly the greatest player of all time. Not just him, Lillard is 1st team all NBA and he may not get in. Westbrook is arguably the second best player in the NBA and he has another top ten guy with him and they may not make it.

That's not interesting at all?

If you wanna talk Warriors I'd love to. They are my favorite team but that wasn't the point of the above exercise.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I think you missed the point. We all agree the Warriors are the best, although the Rockets had them beat last year.
It's interesting to me that a few good teams aren't going to be in the playoffs, including possibly the greatest player of all time. Not just him, Lillard is 1st team all NBA and he may not get in. Westbrook is arguably the second best player in the NBA and he has another top ten guy with him and they may not make it.

If you wanna talk Warriors I'd love to. They are my favorite team but that wasn't the point of the above exercise.
I know because of his history that we are supposed to have faith in Lebron in getting his team into the playoffs. But I think too many people are overlooking how good the teams in the West are as opposed to how bad the ones he used to face in the East were.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004

The "West 9 and 10 is better than the East 5" has been a thing for almost 20 years now. And I think that was an interesting conversation when it started, but nearly two decades in and the NBA is doing nothing about it. In fact, they have put rules in place that have made it worse. To me it's the same discussion as "why are all the good hitters in the American League?" And the answer is simply "the league is set up that way." It's weirder in the NBA because the rules are the same in both conferences. And it's a far less interesting or relevant conversation when the teams fighting for the 8 in the West are only fighting to see who plays 4 more games. I'm aware that 8 seeds rarely win anyway, but at least there used to be some decent series.

As for Lebron, he's the main reason for my apathy/coolness - If he no longer cares about Basketball, or at least about winning, why should I? I only gave up on anyone beating the Warriors when he did.

Westbrook couldn't win in Durant's MVP season. That was an interesting story. Now it's just sad.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
The "West 9 and 10 is better than the East 5" has been a thing for almost 20 years now. And I think that was an interesting conversation when it started, but nearly two decades in and the NBA is doing nothing about it. In fact, they have put rules in place that have made it worse. To me it's the same discussion as "why are all the good hitters in the American League?" And the answer is simply "the league is set up that way." It's weirder in the NBA because the rules are the same in both conferences. And it's a far less interesting or relevant conversation when the teams fighting for the 8 in the West are only fighting to see who plays 4 more games. I'm aware that 8 seeds rarely win anyway, but at least there used to be some decent series.

As for Lebron, he's the main reason for my apathy/coolness - If he no longer cares about Basketball, or at least about winning, why should I? I only gave up on anyone beating the Warriors when he did.

Westbrook couldn't win in Durant's MVP season. That was an interesting story. Now it's just sad.
I don't disagree with any of that. It's just more exaggerated this year and more interesting imo with Lebron involved.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I know because of his history that we are supposed to have faith in Lebron in getting his team into the playoffs. But I think too many people are overlooking how good the teams in the West are as opposed to how bad the ones he used to face in the East were.
I think it hurts his legacy if he doesn't get a 5 seed or better.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Supposedly Magic Johnson admonished Luke Walton because of the Lakers slow start.

So Walton will be fired:

A. By Veterans Day
B. By Thanksgiving
C. By Christmas
D. He won't be fired until next summer

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Supposedly Magic Johnson admonished Luke Walton because of the Lakers slow start.

So Walton will be fired:

A. By Veterans Day
B. By Thanksgiving
C. By Christmas
D. He won't be fired until next summer
I'll say B.

Tyronn Lue is available.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
The warriors are the best show on tv.

Draymond has 7 assists in the first 7 minutes. Every night there is a new amazing stat.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Imagine if Lebron went to college how good his team would have been. Now imagine if two Lebrons were on the same team. I'm not saying Barrett or Williamson are as good as Lebron when he would have been a freshman but it's possible. And now imagine the third best player is comparable to McGrady. That's where Duke is at right now.

I know no one cares about college bball.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Imagine if Lebron went to college how good his team would have been. Now imagine if two Lebrons were on the same team. I'm not saying Barrett or Williamson are as good as Lebron when he would have been a freshman but it's possible. And now imagine the third best player is comparable to McGrady. That's where Duke is at right now.

I know no one cares about college bball.
Its not that no one cares about college basketball, its just too early to care about it. I like to start following it after the new year.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
The East is looking better. The Bucks went in and beat the Warriors and now the Sixers are getting Butler.