Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Saw Walk Hard today. I thought it was quite good, not great, but still quite good. It's probably going to be one of those movies that will pick up watching it again. The best part about it is just how well they strike at the really bad biopic conventions all biopics have.

And Jenna Fischer is really sexy. I don't know why, something about 1950s clothing really turns me on.

queeby

Irrelevant Liberal
Jun 12, 2004
Columbus OH
I saw it at one of the advanced screenings and thought is was really funny, I thought I was going to hate it and it completley turned me around.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
It bombed horribly over the weekend. You may have been the only two who saw it.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
I wouldn't go see it on the fucking lame ass gag title alone.

I heard whoever on O&A rambling on about this movie, feh.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I'll check it out. I like the concept as far as what they are doing a parody of.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Morris Plains, New Jersey
I definetely want to see this.. I dont know how long it will be out in the theaters though, it bombed horribly over the weekend, only taking in about 4.5 million bucks.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I definetely want to see this.. I dont know how long it will be out in the theaters though, it bombed horribly over the weekend, only taking in about 4.5 million bucks.

Yeah I don't know who the hell thought to release it the week before Christmas up against Will Smith and family movies, especially considering most people don't know who the hell John C Reilly is beyond "isn't he the guy who was in... " and the fact that it's parodying a very specific type of movie. If it came out in May or June it probably would have fared much better.

I'll wait for the dvd.

queeby

Irrelevant Liberal
Jun 12, 2004
Columbus OH
It bombed horribly over the weekend. You may have been the only two who saw it.

I didn't pay for it, so I don't even count. It really is too bad, it is a funny movie with some pretty edgy content.

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
I'm starting to get sick of the Judd Apatow way of titling his "fictional biography" movies by:

1.) Giving a title that could work all by itself
2.) Colon
3.) The _____ (some variation of word that means 'story' or 'tale') of ______ (main character name--which is always kind of a dumb sounding name)

Anchorman: The legend of Ron Burgundy
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
It's almost like how Tyler Perry, Clive Barker, John Carpenter, or sometimes Tim Burton, feels some sort of need to put their name in front of the title of the movie. If they had any kind of confidence whatsoever in their abilities, their work should be able to stand on its own merit, and not be subject to their personal label beforehand.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
My cousin works at a pretty big theater and said they sold a grand total of 8 tickets in a 24 hour period for this movie,,,,,,so yea im sure it's great:rolleyes:

WonkaVision

To my Friends!!! To My Friends!!!
Sep 5, 2005
HOUSTON
I saw it, was really not impressed.

the Movie was only 96 minutes long, but only about 5 of the minutes was actually funny. The songs where fairly funny...but the movie pretty much sucked IMO.

Expected a lot more from it...

Booooooo

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
finally saw it - i loved it.
first judd apatow movie I've seen that had some actual edge.
this will be a cult classic - it mocks behind the music and biopics very well. there were slow moments, but I really enjoyed the subtle things here.

great retro style songs. and it goes without saying that John C. Reilly is as talented as one can be.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Can't imagine enjoying this, but that just might be a personal bias.
if you like the backstories to classic rock, youll love it.

johnny cash, elvis, jerry lee lewis, old black night clubs, brian wilson, roy orbison, jim morrison, beatles, 70s tv stars, and showbiz controlling jews are among those getting lampooned (or tributed) here. i usually dont care for drug references, but they are done hilariously here.

here's one of the better songs
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=DMZg7A8VJ4Y[/media]

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
I saw it last night. It was better than I expected.

U

Uncle Jesse

It was stupid but it was funny for the most part. If you go into wanting a solid plot then you will be disappointed, but if you go into it as if it were a long SNL skit you'll like it. I might buy it

Apr 29, 2007
Bethlehem, GA
Finally watched this last night since Opie praised it earlier this week. I should have known better after Superbad than to trust Op's taste in movies. I love ya GH, but jesus that was a piece of shit.

Dec 12, 2007
Finally watched this last night since Opie praised it earlier this week. I should have known better after Superbad than to trust Op's taste in movies. I love ya GH, but jesus that was a piece of shit.
Superbad super sucked... boooooooooooooo

But yeah anything with Seth Rogan is more then likely garbage, anything with the fat kid from superbad IS garbage. The last good comedy I saw was probably Martin and Orloff and that was years ago. Hollywood just doesn't make good comedys anymore.

notmikeh

don't get any cucks on your wee
Jun 8, 2006
I liked this movie. the drug refrences were funny

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Dewey Cox is a fairly solid rental, not much more. I saw the 2 hour version and it went on way too long, maybe the theatrical cut plays better.

Superbad was good, I just think Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin are better, funnier movies. Right now Apatow is the can-do-no-wrong/golden boy of comedy, but the backlash will begin shortly. Soon he will go from "genius" to "hack". The internet makes me sick.

Dec 12, 2007
Blasphemy! Superbad rocked, as does Jonah Hill.

However, I do agree it's getting harder to find a good comedy any more.
Jonah is a unfunny cunt, if I have to see him do his weasy old man laugh one more time I'll fucking stab someone.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6SJ5CAshYE[/media] example of old man wease

Apr 29, 2007
Bethlehem, GA
Actually, I like Jonah, I like Seth Rogen, Superbad was just predictable and boring which equals not funny.

Walk Hard would have been funny as a SNL skit, maybe.