War on Diabeetus: Cops Manhandle Hypoglycemic Woman After Minor Car Accident

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This story is brought to you by Coca-Cola.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/19/cops-drag-woman-having-diabetic-episode
Reason.com said:
Cops Drag Woman Having Diabetic Episode Out of Car After Minor Car Wreck, Leave Her Limp and Handcuffed on Asphalt on Summer Day in New Mexico

Brian Doherty | Jul. 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Protecting and serving! Revina Garcia rear-ended another vehicle while having a diabetic episode. She was unable to extricate herself from her car....so friendly helpful police smashed her window, dragged her out, cuffed her, and left her face down on asphalt on a summer day in New Mexico. That's what you get for getting in a car crash, perp!

Report and video from KOAT-7 TV in Albuquerque:
A deputy shattered Garcia’s car window and pulled her out of the car. Garcia was then thrown on the street face down and handcuffed.

"In this case there was no resistance. We are looking at that very seriously," Santa Fe County Sheriff Robert Garcia said.

With Garcia's face on the ground and her not moving at all, deputies walk away. Garcia said her blood sugar was so low that she could have gone into a coma....

"What concerns me is there is no need to lay someone on the ground for that amount of time. There were other deputies around that could have assisted in at least sitting her up or having her placed in a cruiser," said the sheriff....

Garcia was face down on the pavement for more than a minute, and the Sheriff says he's going to look into just how hot it was that day and how hot that pavement could have been....After 10 minutes, paramedics arrived and Garcia was treated for the diabetic episode.
It's just officer safety folks: when arriving at an accident scene and waiting for medical help, the survivors have gotta be cuffed and face down on asphalt. If you don't face death in your miserable job every day, you don't really have the right to ask questions.
That last paragraph reads like something Kirk would write.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

Oh and guilty...

www.koat.com

Revina Garcia says she was having a bad diabetes attack and was incoherent when deputies, who thought she was drunk, yanked her out of her car and shoved her to the pavement.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
You'd think these diabetics would wear a medical alert bracelet. Maybe tattooed on. :)

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Well that and perhaps I dunno keep checking your blood sugar...
I know someone who has the same problem but sometimes it happens so fast there is nothing you can do to prevent it. His sugar would just bottom out suddenly sometimes. You can tell be because hell start acting goofy but he doesnt have a clue. You have to say hey jeff your acting like a retard go check your sugar.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I know someone who has the same problem but sometimes it happens so fast there is nothing you can do to prevent it. His sugar would just bottom out suddenly sometimes. You can tell be because hell start acting goofy but he doesnt have a clue. You have to say hey jeff your acting like a retard go check your sugar.
My mother in law is the same way... note she is a nurse... eeesh.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
This bitch didn't have a "diabetic" episode. She had an "I don't know how to properly manage my diabetes medicine" episode. Diabetes causes high blood sugar, not low.

Anyone that's prone to low blood sugar attacks needs to discuss their insulin/drug dosage with their physician. When the instant cure for low blood sugar is to drink a fucking Pepsi, there's no excuse for these morons to be getting in accidents. The cop didn't beat this bitch enough.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
This bitch didn't have a "diabetic" episode. She had an "I don't know how to properly manage my diabetes medicine" episode. Diabetes causes high blood sugar, not low.

Anyone that's prone to low blood sugar attacks needs to discuss their insulin/drug dosage with their physician. When the instant cure for low blood sugar is to drink a fucking Pepsi, there's no excuse for these morons to be getting in accidents. The cop didn't beat this bitch enough.
Allow me to inform you that you have no idea what you're talking about. My Mom used to have wildly fluctuating blood sugar for no apparent reason. The doctors tried adjusting her insulin dosage up and down for fucking 30 years before giving up and telling my Dad & me to test her blood sugar half a dozen times a day and adjust for it that way. OTOH, she also didn't drive because she never knew when this shit would happen.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Wilford Brimley wouldn't take that shit...then again, Wilford Brimley checks his blood sugar, and he checks it often. So he wouldn't be in such a predicament.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Allow me to inform you that you have no idea what you're talking about. My Mom used to have wildly fluctuating blood sugar for no apparent reason. The doctors tried adjusting her insulin dosage up and down for fucking 30 years before giving up and telling my Dad & me to test her blood sugar half a dozen times a day and adjust for it that way. OTOH, she also didn't drive because she never knew when this shit would happen.
Settle down, Dr. Quinn. The exception does not prove the rule.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
and they won't talk about this on CNN or any other news program.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
One thing I'll say about dealing with diabetics and traffic stops, a person who is diabetic can exhibits signs of being intoxicated. Their breath will sometimes be sweet giving off appearance they've been drinking. That's why if a person diabetic they suggest wearing medical bracelets. If a person is mid swing of a diabetic episode and unable to communicate it is not unreasonable for a cop to think the person is severely drunk especially after a accident.

I'm not saying this guy is right in what he did or defending him.

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
A bunch of bullied C student cops couldn't properly assess a situation? Color me shocked!

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
One thing I'll say about dealing with diabetics and traffic stops, a person who is diabetic can exhibits signs of being intoxicated. Their breath will sometimes be sweet giving off appearance they've been drinking. That's why if a person diabetic they suggest wearing medical bracelets. If a person is mid swing of a diabetic episode and unable to communicate it is not unreasonable for a cop to think the person is severely drunk especially after a accident.

I'm not saying this guy is right in what he did or defending him.
Are you suggesting chronic drunk drivers should get diabetes medical alert bracelets?

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute

I've known two assholes who would let their sugar be low at least 3 times a year. One was a tenant/friend of mine who would need an ambulance to come to his home. I'm telling you every time his wife would say, "I was telling him for hours to eat something". Passive aggressive pothead asshole.
The other guy was a guy I worked with. He'd take his pills then "forget" to eat. One time he was driving us to get food at 10pm and it was like he was .25 drunk, running lights and swerving. I would have laughed if he got pulled over and beaten. He almost killed us.

I hope they are both blind with no finger or toes.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Are you suggesting chronic drunk drivers should get diabetes medical alert bracelets?
No, as I said before I'm not commenting on anything other than my experience with folks who have diabetic episodes while operating a vehicle. Some people have episodes so bad that they can no communicate at all. I'm not defending or excusing anyone with this case I don't know all the facts. All I know is what I read above and from the posted video.

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
No, as I said before I'm not commenting on anything other than my experience with folks who have diabetic episodes while operating a vehicle. Some people have episodes so bad that they can no communicate at all. I'm not defending or excusing anyone with this case I don't know all the facts. All I know is what I read above and from the posted video.

Lighten up serious sam. The proper response to Gleet's question is haha. lol and lulz are also acceptable responses.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Lighten up serious sam. The proper response to Gleet's question is haha. lol and lulz are also acceptable responses.
I'm sorry sir, I missed the wavey hands at the end. Wasn't sure if he was serious or not.