OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Warhawk (PS3)

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by Barely Legal, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Barely Legal

Barely Legal Standing on his head

[​IMG]

Gameplay videos: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748468/vid_2054752.html

Some quick notes:

- Release date: 8/28
    - Simultaneous planet-wide release: North America, Europe, Japan, China and Korea
    - Multiplayer only (up to 32 players)
    - PSN download: ($39.99) and Blu-ray w/ headset: ($59.99)

I know that a couple of 'Baggers had a chance to play an early build of the game during the Warhawk betatest last Spring.
    Was it any good? How long was the learning curve with the Sixaxis? And is the price justified? If it is, it could be the first PS3
    game to get a large group of WB'ers together for some heated online play.

2. Grem

Grem Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.

I can't wait for this game, also you can make Clans, so we should make a Wackbag clan with its own Color scheme. I'm gonna get the Blu-ray version of the game for the Headset and the other extras you get.

3. roche

roche i am lame
    Wackbag Staff

Can anyone tell me if it was 1080 or 720?

4. Barely Legal

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the beta was in 720p -- but I don't think there's been an official confirmation on what resolution the finished product will be in.

5. roche

roche i am lame
    Wackbag Staff

grrrr.... :(

6. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

It was in both 1080i and 720p. I played the game in 720p and it looked just fine.

They were working on seeing to get it to 1080p but I don't know if they will do it but then again it was in 1080i.

Fun game but it's easy as fuck to spot one another because you cant really blend in with the environment. And if you do hide like on top of a mountain to snipe, then they can see you as soon as you shoot because the bullets have a little white trace behind them.

I would go on top of the mountains via warhawk and snipe people and then shoot RPGs are near-by warhawks.

My favorite thing though were mines. It's SO easy to simply walk up to a mounted gun/G-A Missle and throw a mine onto the thing while the person is in it. They won't think anything of it until the mine arms and as soon as it does that then BOOM! they are dead. It takes two grenades to blow those posts up though, so it's easier to just use a mine and run away.

Also, throw mines onto their warhawks at their base as well as any other vehicle. If they get inside it will blow up or if they just run by it will blow up and the added explosion of the vehicle will definitely get you a kill or two.

helpful hints :action-sm

7. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

The beta had problems with stability until the last two weeks because SCEA updated the firmware on the PS3 and the game would freeze up everytime you got started, but they released an update and it fixed most of the problems.

Well the beta was fun but the hosting sucks just like any other game becaue if the host gets tired of being killed then the game will be over for ALL of the players, up to 31 others.

But they fixed it to where you still get your kills and points if the game cuts off, so it's not all a waste.

And the SIXAXIS is fucking fun dude. It will take you a few games to get used to it but once you get the hang of the movements then it REALLY speeds up the game play man because you can use your joysticks for other things like aiming guns/missles. It makes dogfighting very quick-action gameplay. So, expect to get your ass handed to you while dogfighting if you land in one of those rooms.

It's a fun game but remember there will be those fucking 8yr kids yapping on the fucking microphone.

8. Grem

Grem Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.

What is the latency like?

9. Beeman99

Beeman99 Registered User

I'll be buying it, tired of using my treo headset for my PS3

10. Barely Legal

Just checked out one of the PS3 forums -- Warhawk is available to buy and download right now!

Be downloadin' !!!

11. martianvirus

martianvirus READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!

Is that really PS3 graphics? "whaa"

It doesn't look that impressive.

12. Barely Legal

News flash!

martianvirus is critical of a PS3 game.

:action-sm

13. martianvirus

Sorry, just didn't look any better then an xbox game.

14. Barely Legal

15. martianvirus

Just a serious question for you PS3 guys; Are you satisfied with the quality of graphics? Since that is their selling point, I was just wondering. The screen shots I've seen don't look that good, but sometimes screen shots are deceiving.

16. FredThe4thMic

FredThe4thMic Censorship goes Cumsies

Heavenly Sword looks fantastic.
    But,
    go Wii.

17. Barely Legal

I wouldn't put Warhawk in that "awesome graphics" category of PS3 games. It's a 800MB download, and not a 20GB blu-ray release after all. Put this one under "casual multiplayer shooter" and don't expect much more, IMO. The selling point for Warhawk might actually be using the Sixaxis to control your plane via motion control, but who knows.

But I'm making assumptions for a game I still have yet to play.

My download is finished and the game is installing itself right now. Time to play a few rounds before going to bed! :action-sm

18. BlackNinja

BlackNinja How'd your parents die?

the sharpness on games are a little sharper on ps3, and there is a little more anti-aliasing on 360. right now there is little difference, but when developers start using the hardware better, theres no doubt the depth of textures will be better on ps3. gears of war is still the best looking console game to date.

and for my own question, so warhawk is 800mb? not sure if this game will warrant a 60usd purchase

19. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

WarHawk doesn't illustrate the potential of graphic rendering on the PS3. It's not meant to be a realistic looking game. The environments aren't too realistic.

There is rubble and grit, dirt and glassy water, but it's not Metal Gear Solid.

I was on the beta test for his game and I can honestly say it's just fucking fun to play. It's not about realistic warfare, it's just fun.

20. KneeKnee

KneeKnee Trophy Whore.

Pretty sure the Download isnt 60. Just the instore version which comes w/ a Bluetooth headset.

21. BlackNinja

im aware, though the headset looks really nice

22. LAX

LAX [you]

Wow was gonna go purchase TW2008 but this has peaked my intrest instead....Anyone got a review yet cause I think I'm gonna dl it

23. BlackNinja

there was only one review for it currently and it was kinda low, but user reviews are much higher. it seems like it will be a fun game, despite the reviews, kinda how tribes was. we'll see how gamespot reviews it, but it seems like it might get lowballed

24. KneeKnee

KneeKnee Trophy Whore.

PSM paper magazine gave it a 6.5, saying it was flawed because the Warhawk (the game's namesake) was too easy to shoot down, and the overall game was unbalanced w/ no bots and a few other criticisms...

My main reason for not getting it is that it is online only.

No single play means it has no use for me. Id rather play solo, and most online features for a game are just a bonus.

25. LAX

LAX [you]

Well I gotta admit...I downloaded it and kinda like it so far....It's has my attention alot longer then Madden 08 I'll tell you that much...