Warner Bros Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The rumor is now official.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/04/warner-goes-blu-ray-exclusive/

(January 4, 2008 – Burbank, CA) – In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.
"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future."

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Fuck them and the AIDS-ridden cock they rode in on. When there's only one candidate, there's only one choice. The individual should be able to decide what they want.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
I been waiting to see which one will come out on top. You think they would have learned with the Betamax VHS shit in the 80s.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
Fuck them and the AIDS-ridden cock they rode in on. When there's only one candidate, there's only one choice. The individual should be able to decide what they want.

Yea I wish I could chose between 35mm 110 and 126 film still :action-sm

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
The individual did choose. Warner's titles sold best on blu-ray.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Oh, and this was hinted at for weeks and rumored for a couple months by studio insiders. After Paramount went HD DVD exclusive there was quite an upset in the industry and the other studios didn't like where MS and Toshiba were leading them. So Warner dumped Nickerson who was Toshiba's ace-in-the-hole at WB and picked up a guy who didn't want to split support.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Fuck both of them. I like dvds being cheap

coolyellowbus

May 4, 2005
Living in a nation of Earls
I been waiting to see which one will come out on top. You think they would have learned with the Betamax VHS shit in the 80s.
how is this any different... One format is winning the format war just like VHS eventually did. It'll take time but I think blu ray will eventually win this war. I mean it's the logical choice... larger capacity for the same cost.

Blu ray sounds cooler too.

That all being said until the cost of 1080P televisions come down both are still gonna be a niche market. shoot, by then though something better will come around.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
Fuck both of them. I like dvds being cheap
hello exactly!

if things stay the same BD probably will end up the winner, but in my eyes, which ever format brings their mediocre titles below 20 bucks will win.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
As a Blu-Ray supporter, I am pleased. Onward to victory!

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
So, should I buy BluRay now, or do I keep waiting to see who wins?
I want high definition DVD, but don't want to be the ass who buys betamax, or worse, those big fucking album-looking laser discs that like 19 people in the country bought in the 80's.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
So, should I buy BluRay now, or do I keep waiting to see who wins?
I want high definition DVD, but don't want to be the ass who buys betamax, or worse, those big fucking album-looking laser discs that like 19 people in the country bought in the 80's.
Blu-Ray is going to be the winner. I don't think anyone can debate otherwise. The HD-DVDs are the same price and offer less space per disc. With Blu-Ray you can put an entire TV season on one or two discs. That's something you can't do with HD-DVD.

Plus with the proliferation of PS3 units being sold as multi-use devices it's helping to push the Blu-Ray format.

Back in the 80s BetaMax lost because it cost more than VHS and that's not the case with the battle today. So, if they cost the same then why not buy the better product?

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
It's probably not the right forum, but maybe I should start looking for player recommendations.
I've heard the PS3 is a very good player, but my kids already have a 360 and a Wii. I'm not getting a PS3 even if it's the best, because I'm not getting on the hook to buy more freaking games.
This looks like a good player, but the price hurts...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...keyword=Panasonic+DMP-BD10A&searchSection=All

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
you might as well buy a playstation and get your 399 worth

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's probably not the right forum, but maybe I should start looking for player recommendations.
I've heard the PS3 is a very good player, but my kids already have a 360 and a Wii. I'm not getting a PS3 even if it's the best, because I'm not getting on the hook to buy more freaking games.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...keyword=Panasonic+DMP-BD10A&searchSection=All
Of the current Blu-ray players that can play version 1.1 BD's the PS3 is getting the nod as the best blu-ray player on the market. The PS3's ability to continually update it's system firmware will always guarantee that it will be up to date with the always changing blu-ray standards.

http://gizmodo.com/340402/first-blu+ray-bd-profile-11-review-verdict-is-that-all
If I had to lay money down on one Blu-ray-only player at this minute, I'd have to choose the PS3. The jury is still out on the dual-format players we want to love best, but the early rumblings suggest they may need some work. And any standalone Blu-ray player without an Ethernet jack may be in danger of obsolescence in a few years, if not a matter of months.

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
Damn. It looks like the stupid PS3 is the answer. The ability to upgrade does seem huge.
Thanks

bigtobacco

Corey Feldman is Hurting...
May 2, 2006
Western Maryland
This is disappointing. I have the PS3 and 360 HD-DVD add-on and prefer the interface and features of HD-DVD. Blu Ray seems to be getting better, though.

I've also read that HD-DVD are far cheaper to produce than Blu-Rays. And both formats cost the same to the consumer? What the fuck is with that? Greedy bastards. Anyone know how substantial the difference is?

All that said, both formats have the same picture quality so it probably doesn't really matter which format is dominant.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Blu-Ray has greater capacity than HD-DVD, though.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
This is disappointing. I have the PS3 and 360 HD-DVD add-on and prefer the interface and features of HD-DVD. Blu Ray seems to be getting better, though.

I've also read that HD-DVD are far cheaper to produce than Blu-Rays. And both formats cost the same to the consumer? What the fuck is with that? Greedy bastards. Anyone know how substantial the difference is?

All that said, both formats have the same picture quality so it probably doesn't really matter which format is dominant.
Here's the deal most don't realize.

Toshiba owns the bulk of patents on DVD. So just like Sony does with their console they sell their players at a loss and make it up on HD DVD royalties. Now Sharp, JVC, etc do not get royalties on discs made. So they really don't care about giving people cheap players just to sell them. So they went blu-ray because they want to make a profit.

That's why blu-ray players are more expensive... the companies that make them don't take a loss. Meanwhile Toshiba needs those HD DVD discs to stay high in cost so they get a larger chunk of cash back. Realistically if they sold the players more expensively they could cut back on the royalties for the discs but they can't afford to lose their sole talking point.

Paper Boy

May 29, 2005

i think i bought that same player for someone for xmas, i paid 300 at bestbuy. i have a sharp bd player and the xbox hd drive, i prefer the xbox drive, the bd takes forever to load and can't go straight to the main menu during their stupid previews.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
I have both so either way won't bother me....I don't see a huge difference from one to the other...