Warranty question s

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
3 weeks till we drive to Disney and of course the check engine light goes on the family truckster. Go to AutoZone to get it read, they say it's an oil sensor. Take it to the dealer because I have the extended warranty.
#1 thing I'm pissed about, apparently there's a $100 deductible that no one explained. Is this typical? I thought warranty was warranty and covered 100%.

#2 thing I'm pissed about. In order to change the sensor they have to drain the oil. I just got an oil change 2 weeks ago and there is a sticker to verify it. They are now charging me $35 for an oil change. Shouldn't that be part of the repair since it's critical to get to the part?

Rant over, for now

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
Nope. If you a/c compressor goes out, they charge to refill it, too. Most warranties only cover the cost of the actual failed part and possibly labor.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Deductible is common, when I was going through the Toyota pitch extended warranty recently their deductible was $50.

Regarding the oil, you want them to catch it and put it back in?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Deductible is common, when I was going through the Toyota pitch extended warranty recently their deductible was $50.

Yup. I got an extended warranty on my Toyota and remember seeing that somewhere. Now, I think I got a better grade of warranty that MAY not have a deductible. I have to check the paperwork.

Toyota warranties are different here in the southeast than in the rest of the country.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Deductibles are a fact of warranty life. Oil change? Meh, suck it up and accept it as the trade-off for saving about $150-200 on a non-warranty repair.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Yup. I got an extended warranty on my Toyota and remember seeing that somewhere. Now, I think I got a better grade of warranty that MAY not have a deductible. I have to check the paperwork.
I was going to mention that, i think in the most expensive of 4 grades of extended premium warranties the most expensive plan might not of had a deductible. This was at a Hendrick dealer, not sure if that was theirs or some Toyota care. When I saw the number at the bottom of the page I mentally blocked out the sales pitch.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Ok just wanted to be sure. Last time I had a warranty was 15 years ago and there was no deductible, either it was covered or it wasn't and if it was covered it was 100%

No but if it's a necessary part of the procedure it should be included in the price of replacing the part. At the very least I should only be charged for the cost of oil not the cost of a full service oil change since the oil filter is brand new all the other fluids are filled and the labor is included in what they are billing the warranty company.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Ok just wanted to be sure. Last time I had a warranty was 15 years ago and there was no deductible, either it was covered or it wasn't and if it was covered it was 100%

No but if it's a necessary part of the procedure it should be included in the price of replacing the part. At the very least I should only be charged for the cost of oil not the cost of a full service oil change since the oil filter is brand new all the other fluids are filled and the labor is included in what they are billing the warranty company.
Come to think of it since this is a newer car is it synthetic oil? A full change of Mobil One at $35 would be a good deal.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
Come to think of it since this is a newer car is it synthetic oil? A full change of Mobil One at $35 would be a good deal.
Guarantee they aren't using Mobil One or the price would be twice that.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I was going to mention that, i think in the most expensive of 4 grades of extended premium warranties the most expensive plan might not of had a deductible. This was at a Hendrick dealer, not sure if that was theirs or some Toyota care. When I saw the number at the bottom of the page I mentally blocked out the sales pitch.
I kinda remember something like that. I got the "platinum" or whatever the fuck it is.

As far as the cost goes, I think I did ok... First. we agreed on price for the car. Then I had to fill out the app for financing. Actually, they wanted me to do it at the beginning before we negotiated and whatnot, but I refused. I get it, they get alot of deadbeats and BIPs. But, I didn't want anyone to pull my credit unnecessarily. So they would take me seriously, I pulled up the apps on my phone for both of the credit cars I have. Both show your credit score. Once I showed them my credit score was over 800 then I was treated like a king. So after the financing gets approved they put me in the office with the finance guy who tried to sell me the various extras. I kept saying no to the warranty until the price came down to a number I was comfortable with. I was also calling/texting a family member in the car business for guidance during the whole process.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
No he said he had to charge me for the cost of a standard oil change $34.99. Of course they also told me it'd be ready today but that didn't happen either a fact I had to call to find out as they were closing. I should have made him listen to my wife bitch when she had to stop cooking dinner pack up the kids and come get me in rush hour traffic. That would teach him

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Guarantee they aren't using Mobil One or the price would be twice that.
Probably not, but dealer price on their branded synthetic would easily be $35. Honestly with cheap ass non synthetic and labor a dealer oil change at $35 isn't bad.

The oil change on my Tacoma needs to drop a skid plate (4 bolts). A special socket to pull the oil filter cartridge. Then you change the cheap ass $5-7 paper oil filter in said cartridge. With Toyota's synthetic oil, $35 for that service would be a steal.

Once I showed them my credit score was over 800 then I was treated like a king. s.
The credit score definitely helped in my deal, I had no problem letting them pull mine as I knew it was +800, hell the score they pulled was 25 points higher than the FICO my CC was reporting.

Last edited:

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
Probably not, but dealer price on their branded synthetic would easily be $35. Honestly with cheap as non synthetic and labor a dealer oil change at $35 isn't bad.

The oil change on my Tacoma needs to drop a skid plate (4 bolts). A special socket to pull the oil filter cartridge. Then you change the cheap ass $5-7 paper oil filter in said cartridge. With Toyota's synthetic oil, $35 for that service would be a steal.
It's a great price for sure. With a Ford service coupon, the Edge is $45 for full synthetic oil change and their full inspection deal plus tire rotation.

Last edited:

5skin

May 14, 2010
the woods
Skip a meal at Disney and you're even.

You're going to Disneyland!

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
#1) Yes, the deductible is normal.
#2) Someone's lazy and doesn't want to bother saving the oil
or they just want to make some more money doing an oil change.

You don't need to remove the filter to change the sensor so at most
they should charge you for would be the oil. I've done work like that
plenty of times and just saved the oil if the customer had a recent change.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
Or they DID save and reuse the oil and charged you anyway. It is a car dealership, after all.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Or they DID save and reuse the oil and charged you anyway. It is a car dealership, after all.
I doubt that, dealers use bulk oil it's not worth the 10 minutes of trying to save it for the 9$ the oil cost

The only time I've ever saved oil from anything was to use it in something else like a lawn mower or bar oil for chain saws.

5skin

May 14, 2010
the woods
I doubt that, dealers use bulk oil it's not worth the 10 minutes of trying to save it for the 9$ the oil cost

The only time I've ever saved oil from anything was to use it in something else like a lawn mower or bar oil for chain saws.
Motorcycle chain oil, I think what I'm still using is from an oil change like six years ago.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Ended up ok. Dealt with a different guy today he knocked off the labor charge for the oil change, only like $10 but it was the principle. He actually hooked me up too. It's a 2013 i bought used last year. I noticed there were a couple of open recalls & asked if he could address them. He said he couldn't there because the dealership is affiliated with Mitsubishi (mine is a Chrysler) but he worked it out where he took it over to the Chrysler dealership and had them clear the recalls too so that saved me that hassle.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
On the tin roof

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I keep finding myself drawn to the newer Mopar stuff, not enough to buy one though. I want to believe they are better but when it comes down to laying down the cash I'm going to stay Asian.