Washing Fruit

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
What's your stance?
I'm a germ-freak so I rinse everything off, but I know that that's not really doing anything...
So what's the point?

I get that some of the fruit is around animals and the animals shit on or around it, or there's bacteria etc.
But don't the grocery stores rinse that stuff off before they put it out?

Some stuff is pre-rinsed, but I don't think Apples are. You've got tons of people just fondling every apple in the store, who knows if they've just itched their asshole in the car ride there.
Is a quick rinse under the sink really doing to get rid of asshole finger?

Grapes... They're in the little baggy with holes in it, what am I rinsing off exactly?

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
It has more to do more with what chemicals the spray on the fruit. At least that's why I wash it.

LiLJimmysHog

Professional negative prick
Dec 18, 2005
I always wash fruit. Several reasons, chemicals, fungus, germs....on and on.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
It has more to do more with what chemicals the spray on the fruit. At least that's why I wash it.
I always wash fruit. Several reasons, chemicals, fungus, germs....on and on.
Right, but does rinsing it under water for 5 seconds really accomplish that? Maybe with an apple you can use a paper towel and vigorously scrub it, but not grapes, blackberries, raspberries, etc.

Touché, Touché...

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My father's side of the family are in the farming business. Let's just say the type of people who pick fruit here in California don't always put in the effort to walk all the way to the porta-potty to take a shit and use the anti-bacterial soap (that's probably what caused the E. Coli breakouts with fruits and vegetables recently). Yes everything is sprayed with medium-high pressure hoses, but was the shit off anyway. A five-second rinse will get most germs off of fruit. I know someone who washes everything with soap, but that's excessive... you have to have some exposure to germs to build your immune system.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I don't rinse shit because of germs - it's because most fruit and veggies have something visible on them that just looks gross. Grapes have some weird film that washes right off, celery usually has dirt on it, etc. I don't think I've ever bought apples individually, so I'm not thinking about stink finger when I'm eating the ones from a bag. At least I didn't used to...fucker. Tomatoes get rinsed, but again, it's just because they don't look right straight from the store with whatever the fuck is coating them. I guess if I thought about it too much, I'd freak out, but I'd rationalize it by saying, hey, it's fucking fruit. The healthy shit in it should cancel out whatever evil might be festering on the outside.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Because of this fucking thread and the thought of asshole fingers touching my fancy fucking fruit, I now put my fruits into an autoclave mother fuckers. No asshole finger for this fancy man!

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I always rinse everything, but because of the pesticides. If I'm boiling veggies I'll sometimes toss the water and finish cooking it in clean water. The germs don't bother me. I know people that will throw out a whole stalk of celery because they found a bug wedged in the base.

I don't rinse shit because of germs - it's because most fruit and veggies have something visible on them that just looks gross. Grapes have some weird film that washes right off, celery usually has dirt on it, etc. I don't think I've ever bought apples individually, so I'm not thinking about stink finger when I'm eating the ones from a bag. At least I didn't used to...fucker. Tomatoes get rinsed, but again, it's just because they don't look right straight from the store with whatever the fuck is coating them. I guess if I thought about it too much, I'd freak out, but I'd rationalize it by saying, hey, it's fucking fruit. The healthy shit in it should cancel out whatever evil might be festering on the outside.
Apples, grapes, and celery are some of the worst as far as pesticide residue. I was in the doctor's office not too long ago and the health info video thingy they played in the waiting room said apples were the worst, I was shocked. I always thought the leafy type veggies would be the worst since it's hard to rinse inside the crevices with a machine.

Best and worst:
http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
BB, just noticed the forum name is spelled incorrectly and my anal retentive self can't stand it. Any chance this can be fixed and the original namer beaten severely?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
BB, just noticed the forum name is spelled incorrectly and my anal retentive self can't stand it. Any chance this can be fixed and the original namer beaten severely?
Nope. It's spelled that way on purpose.

Think back a bit. It's a Vos reference.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
i mix some vinegar peroxide with water and rinse fruits and vegetables with it

apples and grapes (even organic) have so much stuff on them - I can't stand an apple unless all that wax is off of it

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I just do a quick rinse. I don't obsess, mainly because I have a healthy immune system.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
i don't wash my fruit at all. i also don't get sick.
Yes, but you are also ingesting "asshole finger" now sir! There are plenty of other ways to make sure that you get your daily dose of germs (go lick the escalator handle at the mall if you must) other than ingesting mexican asshole finger. I can only imagine the burrito-y goodness that mexican asshole finger must bring to your fruit eating habits.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
Washing fruit?

WHAT HAPPENED IN TAMPA..... FEZ?

[video=youtube;K2S6ZQn9lvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2S6ZQn9lvk[/video]

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
I eat figs right off my trees.

Other than that I eat mostly citrus fruits you have to peel so need to warsh.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
Yes, but you are also ingesting "asshole finger" now sir! There are plenty of other ways to make sure that you get your daily dose of germs (go lick the escalator handle at the mall if you must) other than ingesting mexican asshole finger. I can only imagine the burrito-y goodness that mexican asshole finger must bring to your fruit eating habits.
you don't really think of things like that when you'll eagerly eat a girl's asshole the second it's presented to you.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
you don't really think of things like that when you'll eagerly eat a girl's asshole the second it's presented to you.
You make a valid point and have a strong argument sir, but allow me to say this, at least I know the "condition" of the asshole that I am about to bury my face in. I usually know what type of hygiene has been practiced by said whore and whether or not she is an effective wiper of said asshole. The mexican in the field could have (for all I know) a leaky taco grease trap between his cheeks. Who knows how many balls of guacamole dingle berries he has dangling behind his sack. I would hate to think of what you might get if you were to dip a nacho down into said mexicans boxer shorts and scrape the crotch.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
You make a valid point and have a strong argument sir, but allow me to say this, at least I know the "condition" of the asshole that I am about to bury my face in. I usually know what type of hygiene has been practiced by said whore and whether or not she is an effective wiper of said asshole. The mexican in the field could have (for all I know) a leaky taco grease trap between his cheeks. Who knows how many balls of guacamole dingle berries he has dangling behind his sack. I would hate to think of what you might get if you were to dip a nacho down into said mexicans boxer shorts and scrape the crotch.
but maybe they didn't pick MY fruit.