TV 'Watchmen' TV Series for HBO - Season One -

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Mine are so low that I don’t believe that’s even possible. I’m not even sure I would believe anyone if they told me it was good and I should check it out.
Why is that, out of curiosity? I mean, I'm always skeptical, and HBO misses sometimes, but they generally deliver a good product. And, like I said, it's not a prequel. And the Watchmen universe decades later could be interesting it handled right.

My big fear is that they Michael Bay it or Titans it.

Why is that, out of curiosity? I mean, I'm always skeptical, and HBO misses sometimes, but they generally deliver a good product. And, like I said, it's not a prequel. And the Watchmen universe decades later could be interesting it handled right.

Fuck Nite Owl II

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

I suppose it depends on why you think the comic series and/or movie worked. I just don’t think they will be able to tell a compelling story with interesting characters in the same universe that had such a compelling story and interesting characters. At best it will be repetitious, derivative and boring. At worst...

I think if you wanted to copy Alan Moore’s work, just create a bunch of new characters and do that. That’s all this really is, with some tenuous links to the movie or comic just to legitimize the thievery. Kind of like the Fantastic Beasts movies, but at least JK Rowling is involved. If Moore was writing this - ok, sure.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I suppose it depends on why you think the comic series and/or movie worked. I just don’t think they will be able to tell a compelling story with interesting characters in the same universe that had such a compelling story and interesting characters. At best it will be repetitious, derivative and boring. At worst...

I think if you wanted to copy Alan Moore’s work, just create a bunch of new characters and do that. That’s all this really is, with some tenuous links to the movie or comic just to legitimize the thievery. Kind of like the Fantastic Beasts movies, but at least JK Rowling is involved. If Moore was writing this - ok, sure.
I really don't see the "copying" thing any more than any other sequel. Then again, I have no attachment to Moore and always heard that he's kind of a douche. I thought the DC crossover was far more egregious than what they are attempting here.

To me, there are some things they have to do for it to be good.
1. No super powers. Dr. Manhattan left and isn't coming back and he's the only one, period.
2. They have to do what both the comic and the movie managed to do, and that's make it a story with "super heroes" in it, not a comic book show.
3. What they do with the event, I can't remember what it's called right now, will be the linchpin. If they fuck it up, the show will be terrible. If they show a society that has seen profound societal change because of it, then it has a chance.
4. There has to be a mystery, it has to run through the entire season and it can't be obvious.
5. There better be a damn good reason why there is another Rorschach. I do like that the mask is totally different.
6. Don't make it a punch and kick fest.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Irons is seemingly Ozy. I can't think of a show I should be predisposed to hate but am ridiculously excited about.
Irons seems perfect for an old version of Ozy as played by Matthew Goode. I do wish Jackie Earle Haley was returning, of course.

Jean Smart, though...ugh. I'm nauseated she's even in Legion. She's completely miscast for anything to do with superheoes.

Pigdango

Donator
I really don't see the "copying" thing any more than any other sequel. Then again, I have no attachment to Moore and always heard that he's kind of a douche. I thought the DC crossover was far more egregious than what they are attempting here.

To me, there are some things they have to do for it to be good.
1. No super powers. Dr. Manhattan left and isn't coming back and he's the only one, period.
2. They have to do what both the comic and the movie managed to do, and that's make it a story with "super heroes" in it, not a comic book show.
3. What they do with the event, I can't remember what it's called right now, will be the linchpin. If they fuck it up, the show will be terrible. If they show a society that has seen profound societal change because of it, then it has a chance.
4. There has to be a mystery, it has to run through the entire season and it can't be obvious.
5. There better be a damn good reason why there is another Rorschach. I do like that the mask is totally different.
6. Don't make it a punch and kick fest.
So as not to dismiss the show completely out of hand, I did some digging on it, including reading Damon Lindelof's letter in which he took 5 pages of text to say "I'm famous and getting paid lots of money to do this, and I really don't care what you think." When I say this show isn't necessary, I don't (just) mean it in the sense that the story is marvelously self contained and doesn't lend itself at all to prequels or sequels.

Watchmen is a deconstruction of super-heroes and the threat of impending doom that ran through the entire Cold War in a time when there wasn't a lot of deep thought being put into either, at least in popular culture. Yes, there were lots of good superhero stories and tons of movies about the threat of Nuclear War, but in 1986, it was truly a unique comic book. In the 30 years since it's release, Superheroes have been deconstructed and reconstructed dozens or even hundreds of times, in film (Civil War, The Dark Knight Trilogy), in print (Daredevil Born Again and The Dark Knight Returns are just two examples). I'm not sure what Lindelof has to say about Superheroes, but as I said, if he had something that he wanted to say about them, he would have simply developed an original concept, or come to WB and said "I've got this Watchmen idea" but that's not how this went. In his letter, he admits he was asked three times before he agreed to do it. He didn't make the pitch - he was pitched.

Comparing this to his involvement in The Leftovers, there are many differences. Adaptation vs Original Story. Book author involved vs Book author telling him to fuck off. He passionately pursued Leftovers vs having to be begged to do Watchmen. And because it was an adaptation, as Liddy noted, Leftovers had a limited run, and more importantly, it had an ending. I've not seen the show or read the book and don't know if the ending is different, but there was an ending in place for him to draw inspiration from if nothing else. Here...nothing.

And of course there's the other element to the series - Orange Man Bad. With no Cold War backdrop to provide meaningful context to the events of the show, it really has no other choice but to become yet another parody of Trump. The feeling of impending doom hanging over us in the 80's has been replaced with...what, exactly?

So as not to dismiss the show completely out of hand, I did some digging on it, including reading Damon Lindelof's letter in which he took 5 pages of text to say "I'm famous and getting paid lots of money to do this, and I really don't care what you think." When I say this show isn't necessary, I don't (just) mean it in the sense that the story is marvelously self contained and doesn't lend itself at all to prequels or sequels.

Watchmen is a deconstruction of super-heroes and the threat of impending doom that ran through the entire Cold War in a time when there wasn't a lot of deep thought being put into either, at least in popular culture. Yes, there were lots of good superhero stories and tons of movies about the threat of Nuclear War, but in 1986, it was truly a unique comic book. In the 30 years since it's release, Superheroes have been deconstructed and reconstructed dozens or even hundreds of times, in film (Civil War, The Dark Knight Trilogy), in print (Daredevil Born Again and The Dark Knight Returns are just two examples). I'm not sure what Lindelof has to say about Superheroes, but as I said, if he had something that he wanted to say about them, he would have simply developed an original concept, or come to WB and said "I've got this Watchmen idea" but that's not how this went. In his letter, he admits he was asked three times before he agreed to do it. He didn't make the pitch - he was pitched.

Comparing this to his involvement in The Leftovers, there are many differences. Adaptation vs Original Story. Book author involved vs Book author telling him to fuck off. He passionately pursued Leftovers vs having to be begged to do Watchmen. And because it was an adaptation, as Liddy noted, Leftovers had a limited run, and more importantly, it had an ending. I've not seen the show or read the book and don't know if the ending is different, but there was an ending in place for him to draw inspiration from if nothing else. Here...nothing.

And of course there's the other element to the series - Orange Man Bad. With no Cold War backdrop to provide meaningful context to the events of the show, it really has no other choice but to become yet another parody of Trump. The feeling of impending doom hanging over us in the 80's has been replaced with...what, exactly?
The Leftovers is really good.

And Brooklyn Nine-Nine returns tonight.

I hadn't heard that.

I saw a commercial for that the other day. NBC was acting like they created the show and it was brand new. It was weird.
I wonder how many DVRs won't record it because it's only set to one network.

Pigdango

Donator
I wonder how many DVRs won't record it because it's only set to one network.
That's a bigger humanitarian crisis than anything happening on the border.

I left a piece out of my response to BIV. In examining the differences between Lindelof's involvement with this and Leftovers, I also read about his involvement with Prometheus, and that was the second to last factor in confirming I shan't be watching this poo.

The last was that this:

Becomes this:

I'm already depressed enough on a daily basis. Shit like this I don't need.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
...that was the second to last factor in confirming I shan't be watching this poo.

The last was that this:

Becomes this:

I'm already depressed enough on a daily basis. Shit like this I don't need.
I'm even more nauseous.

Pigdango

Donator
Expect race swapping of characters.
God dammit I spent an hour researching and composing a well thought out list of reasons for why I’m not interested in this show, and it got nothing from BIV or Liddy. But this will spark 2 pages of snark at least. They will claim you are the problem, but posts like this are what they deserve.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
That they are making a Watchmen TV show.
They'd win back some interest from me if Lady T's entire role was just to be graped and ultimately murdered by the Comedian, but then I'd remember Miss Jupiter and get all down again.