Water cooling

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
My boss at work is in a generous mood again, and is considering upgrading my PC for me. He has a wonderful habit of spending large amounts of money on his subordinates to get them stuff they like or need. In my case, I get PC upgrades. It looking like Ill be getting a new eVGA Socket AM2 motherboard and an Athlon 64 X2 6000, as well as 4GB of new DDR2 RAM. He is also considering swapping out my eVGA 8800GTX ACS3 for the BFG water-cooled 8800 Ultra. For reference, here are the current specs on my PC:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Motherboard (Skt. 939)
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
4 GB (4x1GB) Corsair XMS RAM (DDR400)
eVGA GeForce 8800GTX ACS3
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w PSU
Thermaltake Armor silver all-aluminum case

If he gets me the new 8800Ultra with the preinstalled water block, then I will be water-cooling the CPU and video card. If not, then Ill probably just stick to water cooling the CPU. However, I have NO experience with water cool systems. I know my case is designed for water cooling, and even has a drop-in kit from thermaltake available, but I remember seeing a bad review of that kit some time back. Ive heard good things about Danger Den, and have been looking around their online store. I know the basic parts needed, but Im not sure what I should get. How big of a radiator do I need, how hard would it be to isolate the CPU and GPU on different cooling loops (since the 8800s run so damn hot), etc. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
:clap:

Birf.... Congrats

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
will it have a grasshopper giving the finger as the background?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
what do you do with that, i know that WOW sucks up a lot of memory but what practical purpose does that serve? and no im not being a smart ass, most of the computer things that i do can be done with my 10 year old 233mhz 98meg of ram toshiba lap top

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Ooof. Okay bro, it's gonna be alright.
It's not a problem. I can help. I'm a pro. :siren :siren

First things first. How hands on do you want to get with this?
There are pre-set up kits if you want no-muss, no fuss, but their performance can sometimes come up short compared to pieced-together kits.

Second, What kind of case is the build going into?
If it's the thermaltake armor, you're gonna be fitting the radiator and pump either on the top underside of the interior, or in the lower hard drive bay area.
(there're also 5 1/4 bay reservoirs, to help save space), and in the event you want a pre-built kit, the external unit will be sitting on top of the case.

3rdd. Will energy consumption be an issue? There're pumps that are greener than others. This doesn't mean shit to me, but if it's a work pc it can't hurt to ask.

4th. How hot do you want to overclock the cpu? Do you want to oc it at all?
Will it be oc'd at all?
(this will help determine your needs, and the strength of the cooling you're looking for. and ultimately, what set up you'd be wanting/needing)

5th. Part selection. If you piece stuff together, be expecting to order from at least 3 different places. There's no single online joint to get every pimp piece from. There's spots you can find a good deal of shit at, but mostly you wind up buying your cpu blocks from specialty vendors (and that sucks, but thats how it is.)

6th. Feel free to contact me via aim or icq about this shit. Specifically about what parts and shit. Some manufacturers are better than others, and I probably know why you'd want to stay away from, or seek them out respectively. There's really too much info to list off right here.
Your other best friends are xtremesystems, anandtech and hardocp forums. Madshrimps.de probably has some decent tutorials, too and bit-tech.net will whet your appetite with pics galore of some seriously well made wc' set ups.

7th. If upgrading gpu's... would there be a way to purchase your old one, barring no manufacturer defects. I'd love to volt mod that sonofabitch and throw it on ice.

WaddleDoodle

Creepy? We're the CIA. It's what we do.
Mar 15, 2005
Arlington, VA
I too would be interesting in perhaps purchasing the old GPU. I'm stuck with an AGP Radeaon 9600XT, and am trying to hold off until the Nvidia 9800s. Can't really play Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes with it :)

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
also
least a terabyte of space. SATA 10,000 RPMs+
multi-monitors.
7.1 sound card
firewire & usb

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
I gave up my WoW addiction a while back. When I built this rig it was future-proofing for UT3, Crysis and GoW.

As for the upgrade, if I get a new video card, my boss will be taking the current one, otherwise Id be happy to sell it. Its just a few months old and hasnt been modded or OCed.

As for the new rig, Im not planning to overclock. Hell, my current 4800 screams with most games, and I dont see any real need to overclock if Im getting a 6000. For the actual cooling system, since my Armor has pre-drilled holes for pipes to run in and out (at least 4 that I know of) I was thinking of piecing together a system, with an eternally mounted radiator where the current rear 120MM fan is, and using a bay reservoir and internal pump. The lower area of the 5 1/4 bays are where my hard drives and LED/switch set are located, so thats really a no-go. Im also thinking of going with a UV dye in the water and a UV cold cathode kit. Also, how hard would it be to keep the CPU and GPU isolated from each other?

Energy consumption isnt really an issue. Ive got a 750w PSU in this system right now, and its just my personal gaming rig, so no concerns there.

Ive built all the PCs Ive owned for the past several years, and I dont mind getting my hands dirty, I just need some direction as to what I need in terms of parts, and where to find them. My boss will help with assembly, as hes done this before. His current system is also water cooled.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
And just checking back in the thread, and hot damn... any idea how awesome that neo4 plat board was for the 939 socket when it came out!? Youuu know too!
That thing still smokes, but I phased out after that one over to dfi again for my last 939'ers.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Plank, to keep them on seperate loops will result in lower temps, the need for more equipment and more clutter (eliminating the superclean one-loop look with uv tubes) but since you wont be overclocking... I wouldn't really worry about that at all.

It sounds like you just want silent cooling with water.
Water on a non oc'd rig would act just like a heatsink and fan without the noise though. Temp differences between the two would really be nominal by only about 5-10c (which to me, .00008ths of a c are great bonuses ;p)

A dual loop would require more pumps, and possibly another rad.. (though I could be wrong off the top of my head there)

The uv dye is available from frozencpu.com (mark the owner is a good dude I endorse them as one of the best retailers online) and I'm sure crazypc.com has a bunch of diff stuff too.

What's the tenative budget on the project, I'll try to put together a few homebrew solutions for diff ranges of price if ya want

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
No, were not hiring. ;)

Ok, heres the final new parts list. The boss suggested a couple minor changes...

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

BFG Tech BFGE88768UWCE GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail

CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G - Retail

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM (New OS drive)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (this will be a second one of these drives. 1TB total for games and shit)

Now, Ive been looking at Danger Den's website, and at Frozen CPU. Cost isnt too much of an issue, really, but I want a good bang for the buck, and something that will be able to keep the new 8800 and 6000+ cool. Im keeping my Thermaltake Armor case, and I want to keep the entire water cool unit either inside the case, or attached to it (ie: screwed into a fan position) to keep this system somewhat portable. Im also thinking it would be best to keep everything on a single loop, heat constraints permitting.

Basically, at this point, I just need a good suggestion about what pump and radiator to get, and what size tubing to use. If possible, Id like it to be stuff listed on Danger Den's website. I already know what water block I need, and the GPU comes with its block preinstalled.