Water Heater Help

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
my water heater is crapping out on me. I am looking into getting a tankless heater because I have a huge whirlpool tub and the tank I have runs out when it gets a little over half full. can some of our whackbag plumber type friends give me an idea about what to expect for installation prices? I am pretty sure it won't be able to go where the current tank is because it is not on an outside wall. it will probably have to move about 20 feet or so to get to the outside wall, wich would be in the crawl space side of the house. the crawl space is about 4 feet tall so I am guessing it would be ok there. the crawl space is insulated on the foundation walls. not sure what other info would be needed. thanks for any help or insight.

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
the one I was looking at is about 1300 for the heater and vent kit. just not sure about install and since I am not a plumber and have no desire to learn for this one thing I would just have someone that knows what the fuck they are doing and has all the right tools do it. I just don't want to get screwed. the one phone guesstimate that I got was around 4 gr.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
You're looking for an instantaneous hot water heater which connects to your boiler? I use the Turbo Max 72 Gallon model. Together with my boiler which can modulate up to 175,000 btu/hr input I have virtually limitless hot water. Also, the size of the tank gives my hydronic system a nice flywheel effect and limits cycling. I think the tank alone was around 1,000 or 1,100 bucks.

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
I am looking gas. thought I had included that bit earlier but apparently I am just a retarded monkey and forgot that little detail. I currently have a 40 gallon gas and when I fill up the whirlpool for some reason I get a little drip inside the tank that puts out the flame. it has happened a couple of times now but not every time so I have no idea what the hell is going on but it only happens when filling up the whirlpool.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I am looking gas. thought I had included that bit earlier but apparently I am just a retarded monkey and forgot that little detail. I currently have a 40 gallon gas and when I fill up the whirlpool for some reason I get a little drip inside the tank that puts out the flame. it has happened a couple of times now but not every time so I have no idea what the hell is going on but it only happens when filling up the whirlpool.
That's condensation from the burning gas. When you fill the whirlpool, you're putting a lot of cold water into the heater tank, and it's now cool enough to condense the very humid combustion gas.

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
makes sense, all the more reason to go whole house tankless I guess

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
tankless are good if you are only a couple people in a house,, cause it only runs when you use it...

reason i asked gas or electric is because if its electric... usualy you have to upgrade your electrical service for it to work... lots of extra cost...

as far as a gas deal.

around 1500.00 for the heater, vent kit, and the valve set up...

intallation isnt that hard,,, if your installing it near where your old heater was located.... coppers really high right now.

Im bidding one for a new house right now and was figuring ..2300.00 bucks...total.

last one i put in only took like three hours. to install... so thats like 180 n hour .

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
Dont get a State Water Heater. Those fuckos ditched sponsorship of Ward Burton and Morgan McClure Motorsports and therefore cannot be trusted.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Based on the problem described, installing an 80 gallon unit should solve the issue. You'll have more hot water capacity and you probably won't have the condensation-related drip because you won't be cooling the tank as severely with the influx of cold water, as there will still be more hot water in it.

Just a thought, if it ends up being cost-prohibitive to do the tankless thing.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
It might be worth checking with your local utility co to see if they off any kind of rebates or incentives. It's been about 8 years ago, but the local electric co installed a 120 gallon heater to replace the 60 gallon model that died on us. The unit and installation were free, the only catch was that it was timed to only heat during off-peak hours, mostly overnights. It did have an override switch though, so if I knew that I was going to use a bunch of hot water, I could replace it sooner. The new 120 heater took up a lot more space, too, but it worked out alright.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Our water heater is set up that way, on it's own off-peak meter with it's own panel that houses a lone dual-throw breaker.