Wcw...

Hidden_Rage

Yeah... I got nothing
Nov 20, 2005
Queens
So, I'll ask the dead horse question, what really killed WCW?

I just want to say that because Nash did a shoot interview not too long ago (when vince died) it's worth listen. It's 5 parts long. It's like you can listen to Nash all day long talk about WCW and wrestling.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbBgxUEWu4s[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIALC-_UMzU[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN639C1QXHQ[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFLOfOyb1Yo[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-TW3qEJoUA[/media]

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I would also like to add, paying Gene Simmons license fees to use his demeon characther, as one of the reasons that killed WCW.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
It died because it's men in tights, nobody cares about that shit now. This is the 21st century for god's sake.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
quoted for motherfucking truth...you put the most prestigious title you have on a fucking B-list actor to promote the movie that you did with him? Dear sweet baby jesus your company deserved to die
I would also like to add, paying Gene Simmons license fees to use his demeon characther, as one of the reasons that killed WCW.
forget paying Gene Simmons...just look at how much money they were throwing at mediocre talents!

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Sep 8, 2005
Arlington, VA
Bringing in too vast a roster and not being able to use them on a regular basis didn't help. How many fucking luchadores that, granted, put on great trios matches, weren't working week in and out....

They could could have removed Villanos III and V, thus cutting the Villano cost by 66%!

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
talk about too big of a roster...they used too have a 6 man tag title, 6 man US Tag Title, normal tag & US tag titles.

meanwhile the WWE can't get one decent tag team angle going that doesn't involve two singles wrestlers who just happened to get tossed together

Oct 13, 2004
Westchester, NY
So, I'll ask the dead horse question, what really killed WCW?
The merger between AOL-Time Warner. Nothing else.

Ted Turner turned it over to someone else (forgot his name), and he decided to cancel it because he didn't like wrestling. Not because of ratings (which btw were still doing well) or storylines or wrestlers or Russo. If the merger between the two didn't happen, Nitro would probably still be on the air today.

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Sep 8, 2005
Arlington, VA
Just checked out all the shoot interviews.... holy crap, you weren't kidding. Nash really seems like he gets the business. I really wish he got the chance to put over the X Division like they were starting to, I think... he seems to just get what people want to see in wrestling...

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
talk about too big of a roster...they used too have a 6 man tag title, 6 man US Tag Title, normal tag & US tag titles.

meanwhile the WWE can't get one decent tag team angle going that doesn't involve two singles wrestlers who just happened to get tossed together
Yeah but the all those titles were back in the NWA days. When it became WCW in the late 80s/early 90s', they started getting ride of those titles. Anybody remember the Western States Heritage title.

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
One of those videos didn't work for me. I'm gonna try again another day, though.

I think what killed WCW was when Tony Shivonnyie (I don't know how to spell his name) said that Mick Foley was gonna win the title on Raw. It seems like, since then, Raw had the better raitings.

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
Just checked out all the shoot interviews.... holy crap, you weren't kidding. Nash really seems like he gets the business. I really wish he got the chance to put over the X Division like they were starting to, I think... he seems to just get what people want to see in wrestling...
Eh. He certainly gets the business side and did what he did very well, but he was/is very selfish. He had the chance to put over the X Division, but when he was supposed to lose to Sabin, he had another phantom injury and Alex Shelley had to take his place. First and foremost Nash always looked out for himself, which is kind of a bad sentiment, because if you truly want to look out for yourself, you should look out for everyone. You can be the top star of a company, but if there's nobody else comparable to you, then the whole company suffers, and then you do because if others had been able to be successful, you would be 10 times as successful as you were.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
The merger between AOL-Time Warner. Nothing else.

Ted Turner turned it over to someone else (forgot his name), and he decided to cancel it because he didn't like wrestling.
Nice call...Nash said exactly that. AOL's stock went from $76 down to $15, they were selling everything and hated that their flagship station's Monday night programming was wrestling

I think what killed WCW was when Tony Shivonnyie (I don't know how to spell his name) said that Mick Foley was gonna win the title on Raw. It seems like, since then, Raw had the better raitings.
I think it was Bischoff who actually said it

Eh. He certainly gets the business side and did what he did very well, but he was/is very selfish. He had the chance to put over the X Division, but when he was supposed to lose to Sabin, he had another phantom injury ....First and foremost Nash always looked out for himself, which is kind of a bad sentiment, because if you truly want to look out for yourself, you should look out for everyone. You can be the top star of a company, but if there's nobody else comparable to you, then the whole company suffers, and then you do because if others had been able to be successful, you would be 10 times as successful as you were.
he said that too which was kinda fucked up. "I'd rather go under the knife for no reason then do the job"

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
Nice call...Nash said exactly that. AOL's stock went from $76 down to $15, they were selling everything and hated that their flagship station's Monday night programming was wrestling

he said that too which was kinda fucked up. "I'd rather go under the knife for no reason then do the job"

I thought Bischoff told Schivanniye to say it.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Schiavone said it. Bischoff told him to say it, but it was the world's greatest announcer who said the words on the air.

I'm absolutely certain that his comment about going under the knife for no reason just to avoid jobbing was supposed to be sarcastic. He also said that he had nuclear dye injected into his heart just to avoid jobbing to the Giant. He was trying to say that it was absurd for people to say that he faked stuff to avoid jobbing because there would be much easier ways to accomplish that than having surgery or getting checked out for an irregular heartbeat.

commish13

May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
You're right, he was just being sarcastic when he said it, but he also never had surgery, just complained about his knee. Next thing you'll tell me was that Shawn wasn't just being a baby when he "lost his smile".

Steam

May 18, 2003
Yeah but the all those titles were back in the NWA days. When it became WCW in the late 80s/early 90s', they started getting ride of those titles. Anybody remember the Western States Heritage title.
Zbysko needed something.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I'm not familiar with all the details of the X Division incident, but I was under the impression that he disagreed with the timing of the loss rather than with the loss itself. I thought the idea of the angle was always that he'd wind up being beaten by someone from the X Division. I could be wrong, though. I don't follow TNA so I only saw bits of that angle and my memory of what I read about it could be off.

Anyway, I was only referring to the times he actually had surgery or legitimate health problems. I would think he'd be hard-pressed to find a doctor who would inject dye into his heart just to keep him from jobbing to the Giant on Nitro.

You're right, he was just being sarcastic when he said it, but he also never had surgery, just complained about his knee. Next thing you'll tell me was that Shawn wasn't just being a baby when he "lost his smile".

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Not because of ratings (which btw were still doing well) or storylines or wrestlers or Russo. If the merger between the two didn't happen, Nitro would probably still be on the air today.
You think so? I went to a Nitro in Detroit (free tickets) in early 2000, and the place was damn near empty.....MAYBE 2000 people in an arena that holds 20k. I didn't even like WCW, and I felt bad for them.

askewcore

Why am I Mr. Sparkle?
Dec 5, 2004
Eh. He certainly gets the business side and did what he did very well, but he was/is very selfish. He had the chance to put over the X Division, but when he was supposed to lose to Sabin, he had another phantom injury and Alex Shelley had to take his place. First and foremost Nash always looked out for himself, which is kind of a bad sentiment, because if you truly want to look out for yourself, you should look out for everyone. You can be the top star of a company, but if there's nobody else comparable to you, then the whole company suffers, and then you do because if others had been able to be successful, you would be 10 times as successful as you were.
You know the part in the interview where Nash talks about what he hates about the internet? Thats you.

commish13

May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
Yeah, you see the problem with that is that what I said was called being a rational person. I don't doubt the legitimate things that happened with his fragile bones made of dust body, but I know his history, and even the things he says in the interview itself shows that he was only out for himself. How do I know that? Because he said "I was only out for myself". And that's fine, that's one way to look at it, but I wouldn't want to be a part of the locker room that he helped screw over because he decided to make more money for himself instead of helping everyone out AND making more money for himself.

Not saying he wouldn't be a great guy to hang out with, and he's funny on the mic, but he's an ass who thinks he knows everything and does it in a condescending way. Basically, he knows what made money for HIM, therefore he thinks he knows what will make money period, and he doesn't.

I'd feel the same way if I were a guy who knew him and had never heard of the internet. It's a silly argument "oooh the internet nerds are just idiots"... it just shows ignorance on their part.