We Deserve an Apology from XM Satellite Radio

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
When Opie and Anthony first came to XM, they were put on an UnCensored Premium Channel which people had to pay extra for because of their previous cancellation. Eventually XM realized that Opie and Anthony were not that evil as some people would like and so they came off premium and became an XL channel: still uncensored but no longer being hidden away for only their fans to discover. Because of this, ONA were able to talk about anything within legal limits and they were able to thrive becoming one of the top channels on XM. Then ONA were syndicated to CBS as their top radio hosts in the morning and ONA's show continued to grow. We expected CBS to be the ones to stab ONA in the back due to their previous history with that company but it was XM who did it and for what? XM did it to show the FCC what they would be doing as a merged company when they were finally bought-out by Sirius. But that merger looks more and more unlikely every day due to concerns of how it would act when it became a monopoly and will have as it's leader the person who was responsible for Opie and Anthony's two year banishment from radio. I think we all got a little taste of what it would be like and we do not like it or want it.

We have been loyal customers to XM for many years now subscribing to their service when we could have chosen other methods to obtain music, news and comedy. They screwed-up big time and we are willing to forgive them if they sincerely apologize and promise to return to the standards before the merger was announced to all of us in a manner that does not come from some public relations middleman. We know that many of XM's management vehemently disagreed with the decision so we will not accept an apology from one of those people as well. We want nothing less than an apology from whoever was responsible.

If they are unable to apologize and uncensor them then we will continue.

highway23

I miss NY wings
What I don't get, is that O&A were considered to be the biggest show that XM had/has. That says something. That alone should warrant some sort of explanation/apology.

What I also don't get, is that they continue to turn a blind eye to the entire cancellations of subs, and throw it under the bus. Of course, this has hurt the movement because it has pretty much died down in the media...

It's too bad, because if this happns; the merger, then we will be probably not hearing O&A on satellite too much longer. Bending over for the FCC will really lose people - because there is a great number of people that want to hear something that isn't regulated by a bunch of people who "don't get it." The FCC sticking their noses in everything is going to greatly reduce the number of subscribers...because we've got our mp3 players and ipods.

Fuck 'em...I hope they some day soon realize how much they fucked up.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Oh we deserve one, but we won't get one I am afraid.

agentjmw

Clayton Townly Businessman
SOS, I could care less if they apologize. Im done with XM, they can go shit in their hat. I canceled my subs in solidarity with the boys. Im keeping them off to make a small statement for myself. Ipods are too cool. Got my ONA commercial free, R&F commercial free. Fuck em, XM has seen my last dime.

mikek

Fatty made love to a cupcake
The only way a corporation can be hurt is monetarily. Hence, repeatedly call & demand re-activation without the bullshit reactivation fee. Even better, demand it on a conditional basis until you're convinced they're truly uncensored.

Yelling "I'm mad at you, XM" won't do shit. Money matters to them, period.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
SOS, I could care less if they apologize. Im done with XM, they can go shit in their hat. I canceled my subs in solidarity with the boys. Im keeping them off to make a small statement for myself. Ipods are too cool. Got my ONA commercial free, R&F commercial free. Fuck em, XM has seen my last dime.
So true. Very well said, sir.:clap:

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
I think we won't get one for the same reason they never really advertised the show much. They didn't want to use the boys as the face of XM, just in case something like the Homeless Charlie thing happened. They'll keep their distance from the show until the suspension is over or the boys are fired. XM will probably bring them back quietly, making it seem like no big deal, just business as usual. Maybe as pests, we can make a huge buzz about the return, making it the radio event of the summer. Maybe Psycho Opie will implement his plan for their ending bit, blowing up the show in spectacular fashion just to spite XM.

E55er

thewy will come back as neutered bbbboys unhappily.

oh come on are we fans becoming such pussies that we want apologies now ... What will an apology bring you? Will you feel like you've won some kind of victory if we all get an apology. While apologies from a real person who feels regret may have some value but an apology from a company and their managers ain't worth shit

BeltOfScotch

I don't know what to write
but it was XM who did it and for what? XM did it to show the FCC what they would be doing as a merged company when they were finally bought-out by Sirius.
I think the message sent by the suspension was more to O&A "You may be a very popular channel on our station, but getting this merger done will be hard enough without newspapers talking about whether our content is too over the top. So shut up for a month and let this die down."

oh come on are we fans becoming such pussies that we want apologies now ... What will an apology bring you? Will you feel like you've won some kind of victory if we all get an apology. While apologies from a real person who feels regret may have some value but an apology from a company and their managers ain't worth shit
AGREEEEEED 100%

BeersOnTheBoat

Ex-New Yorker (Thank God!)
Hhhhmmmm...

Well, don't hold your breath for any kind of apology. Ain't coming. If you don't like it, than continue not giving XM money. You're already inflicting all the injury on XM you can.

O&A are coming back to XM, and my guess they will be with them for quite sometime; in whatever form XM wants them to be in. Why? Because O&A do this for money and fame. If they were into it for anything other than Money and Fame they'd do this on the internet for a subscription fee where everyone could stand on their free speech moral high ground and bask in all the **** jokes against anyone they want whenever they want.

Censorship my ass. They ultimately bear the responsibility for the suspension because they said FU to a direct order by their empolyer with whom they have a contractual oblogation to OBEY. Don't like it? Break the contract or don't renew. Simple. But, just like 100% of everyone else in Western Civilization, if you want to work here you have to follow the rules; and XM has very few rules.

Wasn't the intern thing early on censorship because they were told never to speak about it again? No one bitched then, and O&A OBEYED. Remember Slave Girl? Now THAT was funny. Heard that again? Don't think XM excersized censorship on O&A over that? No one bitched then, and O&A OBEYED. Now O&A get suspended and everyone gets upset over a segment that wasn't even funny? Wrong hill to die on.

If you ain't back with XM now, you will. Why? The CBS show is HORRIBLE, and their clock has almost run out on CBS anyway. CBS will dump them as soon as they do anything even remotely edgy or offensive. Its a paradox. Thier show is dependant on being edgy and offending people. When they try to live within the rules broadcast radio wants its a horrible version of family friendly morning zoo crap. Sorry O&A, a sanitized corporate and government friendly version of your show just doesn't work. XM will be the only place they'll be on...which was always the best show of any entertainment medium ever.

Oh, by the way as I look at the post certain words were (gasp) censored. Shall we protest our own message board because they are censoring our posts? Isn't the internet supposed completely uncensored? The actions of this very board proves that there the smallest degree of rules and civil discourse to everything.

J

jjdjus

If our opinions mattered to the dicks over at XM. They'd of AT THE VERY LEAST played the cbs show by now.

They don't care. They're dogshit in my book. I cancelled my subs and have NO intention of re-activating. I listen online now. I'm fine with that.

FUCK XM and their execs.

7cent

I forgive XM... actually I realized how much I like their product.. I resubed last week, sorry I enjoy the service with or without O and A.... Reality, the company told O and A to not do something, O and A did it anyway.. It sucks but they are a private company and they have evey right to discipline their employees... I do think it was a pussy move, but if they really felt it would help with the merger, they had every right to do it... They do not owe us an appology.. However, you have every right to cancel.. I canceled, and submitted a number of complaints.. I'm good with that..

Polack

Who is John Galt?
An apology is out of the question. First off Opie and Anthony are not the biggest thing on XM. Those stupid 20 on 20 channels and hitlist and kiss top the list. O&A might be the biggest talk but thats hard to say with Hannity having his show. With the 40 thousand that cancelled that is nothing compaired to what they have. In their eyes they got away with a slap on the wrist. If the media would have ran with this then I think they might apologize but the way it looks is they are gonna go ahead as planned and put the boys back they won't be able to say a fucking thing about the suspension. If anything, by the fans cancelling it just showed XM that if the merger happens and the boys go then XM will only lose at the most a hundred thousand subs. In their eyes this is ok. I bet they won't even budge on the reactivation fee when everyone tries to resubscribe.

BeersOnTheBoat

Maybe Psycho Opie will implement his plan for their ending bit, blowing up the show in spectacular fashion just to spite XM.
Great Idea. What then? Back to the local morning zoo because the show's off the air and terresterial won't touch them after being fired from XM?

Brilliant....:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

BeersOnTheBoat

If our opinions mattered to the dicks over at XM. They'd of AT THE VERY LEAST played the cbs show by now.

They don't care. They're dogshit in my book. I cancelled my subs and have NO intention of re-activating. I listen online now. I'm fine with that.

FUCK XM and their execs.[/QUOTE

WHat happens when (not if) they're off CBS?

Jims Rottweiler

Anyone ever smell my ass?
When Opie and Anthony first came to XM, they were put on an UnCensored Premium Channel which people had to pay extra for because of their previous cancellation. Eventually XM realized that Opie and Anthony were not that evil as some people would like and so they came off premium and became an XL channel: still uncensored but no longer being hidden away for only their fans to discover. Because of this, ONA were able to talk about anything within legal limits and they were able to thrive becoming one of the top channels on XM. Then ONA were syndicated to CBS as their top radio hosts in the morning and ONA's show continued to grow. We expected CBS to be the ones to stab ONA in the back due to their previous history with that company but it was XM who did it and for what? XM did it to show the FCC what they would be doing as a merged company when they were finally bought-out by Sirius. But that merger looks more and more unlikely every day due to concerns of how it would act when it became a monopoly. I think we all got a little taste of what it would be like and we do not like it or want it.

We have been loyal customers to XM for many years now subscribing to their service when we could have chosen other methods to obtain music, news and comedy. They screwed-up big time and we are willing to forgive them if they sincerely apologize and promise to return to the standards before the merger was announced to all of us in a manner that does not come from some public relations middleman. We know that many of XM's management vehemently disagreed with the decision so we will not accept an apology from one of those people as well. We want nothing less than an apology from whoever was responsible.

If they are unable to apologize and uncensor them then we will continue.
Great post SOS. I've been wrestling with what to do when the boys come back. I have to agree with the other posters, XM ain't gonna apologize, and if they did, it would be worthless anyway. So, I've decided not to hold out for that. The censorship issue is much more important to me. I need to know that the show will be uncensored. If XM doesn't give me some assurance, in some way, I will find it very hard to resubscribe. But the pull of O and A is pretty strong, so I suppose that if they censor just a little, I will still probably resubscribe.

All of that said, the pests won a clear victory here. Anyone who thinks that the pests aren't responsible for the suspension not becoming a firing is naive. We saved O and A, for now. We cost XM thousands of its most loyal subs. The power of those cancellations, the power of PAC, and the adverse impact of the loss of some sponsors saved their jobs. While I suspect most who cancelled will return, many will not.

This decision to suspend the boys will go down as one of the dumbest in corporate history. A subscription based company that is still hemorraging cash went out of its way to alienate thousands of its most loyal subscribers, many of whom it lost permanently, on the pretext of saving their precious merger, which probably isn't going to happen anyway. But their egos, arrogance and stubbornness will keep them from admitting that this was a huge mistake that they think they can cure by reinstating the boys. On that point, they are probably right. Many of us will resubscribe on June 15.

I am not going to let the arrogance of some corporate executive douchebags interfere with my listening to O and A. So even if they don't apologize, I am leaning toward reupping. If I sense that the boys are being censored to the point that I am no longer enjoying the show, then I will cancel permanently and find some other entertainment. But I think I have come to the conclusion that I am too big of a fan to give up on the boys just because their bosses are incompetent assholes.

That's my two cents.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
QFT.

Quit your crying. XM isn't going to apologize. XM doesn't owe people that cancelled anything.

Why is it so hard to believe that XM suspended the boys for talking about the non-incident, not the incident itself. They've been told to shut thier mouths before, (ie. the show that can't be mentioned, which they have since talked about...long after it happened, the stupid pest with the airhorn) they complied, and nothing happened. This time they didn't do what they were told, and they got in trouble. Isn't that what is supposed to happen?

[everythingsaconspiracyvoice]"It didn't happen like that maaaaannnnnn. They were fired and we brought them back, maaaaannnnnnn. You aren't a fan because you didn't cancel and then start crying that XM won't turn your radio on for free, even though they charge for it, maaaannnnnnn."[/everythingsaconspiracyvoice]

Yeah, I heard you.

yeah we deserve an apology, but I don't think we will get one, I'll bet as some form of "we're sorry" they offer some free activation thing by the 15th, but since I'm waiting until 7/1 to re up, I'll also just bet the free activation will end just before that date for some (ahem) "mysterious reason"

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
Great Idea. What then? Back to the local morning zoo because the show's off the air and terresterial won't touch them after being fired from XM?

Brilliant....:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
The idea of that final bit is that they are ready to walk away from radio, probably for good. I would like to think they would prefer no show rather than a censored satellite show. They've talked before about FU money and not compromising principles. I understand they have mortgages to pay and bank accounts to think about. It won't happen, but would make for a great time.

Brokeback Jimmy

Laundering your Swastikas since 1912
All of that said, the pests won a clear victory here. Anyone who thinks that the pests aren't responsible for the suspension not becoming a firing is naive. We saved O and A, for now. We cost XM thousands of its most loyal subs. The power of those cancellations, the power of PAC, and the adverse impact of the loss of some sponsors saved their jobs. While I suspect most who cancelled will return, many will not.
Well Put.

I firmly beleive that if XM was going to fire O&A it would've happened by now. We're more than half way through the suspension, and things have died down a LOT. Some may think this is a bad thing, but I would argure that it's not. The talking heads and Al Sharpton's of the world have folded up their tents and gone home. No one in the main stream cares about us, the show, and "Homeless Charlie" anymore.

Quite frankly, I like having that bit of obscurity. Sure, the "think of the children" types will listen for a while, to see if they launch off right away. The boys will play it safe at first, dropping some c bombs and f bombs here and there, waiting for the heat to be totally off. But things will get back to normal..

Come June 11, if XM still hasn't fired O&A, they will be back. No doubt in my mind. At that point, I'll reactivate my radios, but I will be demanding no activation fee, and a reduced rate.

My cash goes where O&A go. When O&A come back to XM, XM gets my cash. If XM fucks with O&A again, well they can GO SCREW!!!!

BeersOnTheBoat

The idea of that final bit is that they are ready to walk away from radio, probably for good. I would like to think they would prefer no show rather than a censored satellite show. They've talked before about FU money and not compromising principles. I understand they have mortgages to pay and bank accounts to think about. It won't happen, but would make for a great time.
I follow your logic. However, if this were to be the case it would expose one major inconsistency and hypocracy of O&A themselves. If they were to say FU we're leaving because we can't do whatever we want whenever we want that would leave the legions of hardcore fans with nothing. So much for the fans being the most important thing. Their ego's and bank accounts would be the most important thing.

XM has very little rules that have to be adhered to. The list of bits that are WWWAAAYYY over anyone's line are too long to list. So, when one or two things come up that endanger the business that gives them that much freedom (and us that much entertaimnent), don't you think that they would go out of their way to protect themselves AND THE FANS by not endangering their show? If they're gone they retire in their 40's millionaires and live great lives. BUt, fans end up with nothing, and in the end we are the ones who pay the price.

Lets get back to comedy and away from all this political soap boxing horseshit. If I want to think I have my job, if I want to get political I have Hannity and Limbaugh. I go to O&A to laugh, and if they can't understand that than they're getting away from the thing that drew everyone to them (Like Howard?)

Petrol

I agree that I'd like to see less soap-boxing, but you can't have good comedy without creative freedom. That's what this whole mess is about; don't lose sight of that.

When O&A come back, if I get the message that XM will support them and allow them the creative freedom to do the show I love (which does include occasional political talk) then I'll resubscribe.

and thanks for a great sig, Jims Rott,