Web Hosting Questions

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
I'm helping a friend get a web business off the ground.

He had the site built for him before I got involved in the project, and now he's trying to find a host and get up and running.

The problem is the site is built on ASP and MSSQL, and you have to usually buy pretty high priced packages to get support for these.

Secondly, he's not the most technically inclined guy, so a host with strong tech support and built-in security and security audits would be best.

I've never done anything like this. I'm just acting as an tech interpreter for him.

Any suggestions on where to look for advice, recommendations, hosts, information or anything that might help us on this quest?

Thanks.:)

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
godaddy.com is great. Never had any problems with them and i know tons of people who use them and have not had a complaint with them yet.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
godaddy.com is great. Never had any problems with them and i know tons of people who use them and have not had a complaint with them yet.
I agree.

I also have a friend in webdesign. He had his own server once, but switched over to godaddy because they are good.

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
Nov 26, 2005
NYC
What kind of traffic is he expecting, and how heavy will the load on the DB be? If 1 and 2 are fairly low, he can go with a shared hosting plan.

I've used Brinkster ($28 a month for shared hosting w/ SQL Server).

My new favorite is Reyox because they were more flexible than some other hosting companies ($10 a month with SQL Server).

Mind you those prices are for shared hosting. Having a dedicated server(s) would run him more. I suggest he build up slowly and spend the money on hardware when he needs it. The money saved can be used on marketing.

Also, why did he go with ASP... its 2007, he really should have went .NET instead (if he wants to stay a MS shop).

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
He went with ASP because he outsourced the web design, and that's what the guy used. Like I said my friend isn't really that tech savvy.

I'd expect his database size to grow quickly. It's a member-based site, with profiles and eventually boards and such.

I don't know what to really expect from the site, because I haven't seen any source code yet.

Thanks for your recommendations.