Well, No Shit: 'Driving and Facebooking is Not Safe! Haha'

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
'Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha': Chilling last text sent by teenage driver seconds before she died in 80mph horror crash

• Taylor Sauer, 18, killed after rear-ending tanker truck at 80mph while texting
  • Parents hope to ban driving while texting in Idaho
  • Current law only bans distracted driving

Taylor Sauer, a teenager who was texting every 90 seconds during her four-hour commute from Utah State University to her parents’ home on January 14, made a fatal mistake while behind the wheel.

Her prolific last text was ‘Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha.’ Seconds later, she slammed into a tanker truck at 80mph.
Now, Ms Sauer’s grieving parents are hoping to use their daughter’s tragic story as a way to change driving laws, and make texting while driving in Idaho illegal.

Deadly drive: Taylor Sauer, 18, was texting with a friend while driving and slammed into a truck at 80mph

Wreckage: Sauer was killed instantly in the January 14 crash. Her last message was: 'Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha'

Final message: 'I can't discuss this matter now. Driving and facebooking is not safe. Haha!'

Ms Sauer, 18, was texting on the long drive to her parents’ house to ‘stay awake,’ her father Clay told the Today show, adding, ‘but that’s not a reason to do it.’

She was driving late at night down a stretch of flat highway, and was messaging her friend on Facebook about the Denver Broncos football team.

Her last message was: ‘I can’t discuss this now. Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha.’

Moments later, Ms Sauer slammed into a truck that was crawling up a hill. She was killed instantly.

Mr Sauer told the Today show’s Ann Curry that most teens think they’re invincible.

‘To them, (texting) is not distracting, they’re so proficient at texting, that they just don’t feel it’s distracted driving.’

He and his wife Shauna are now lobbying to pass a bill that would ban texting in Idaho, which is one of 13 states which hasn’t made it illegal.

‘This is what she would want us to do,’ Mrs Sauer said. However, the state does have a law against inattentive driving.

The texting and driving ban has already passed through Idaho’s state senate, and could travel to the house as early as tomorrow.

The Sauers described their daughter as intelligent, loving, and loyal. She had wanted to become an elementary school teacher.
‘She wanted to take on the world,’ Mrs Sauer said.
Link

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
This is my nightmare. No matter how much I tell my kids not to, how do I know they are not? I guess you could say that about anything, but this just sits in the back of my brain for some reason.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Misanthrope side of me says: Good. Dumb slit.

This is my nightmare. No matter how much I tell my kids not to, how do I know they are not? I guess you could say that about anything, but this just sits in the back of my brain for some reason.
Parent side of me says: Completely agree. Only thing you can do is raise them to know better. If they choose to or not is out of your hands. That's on them. You did good by letting them know early on that it's not a good plan.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
That's why I got that Iphone XM dock thing for my chick... so she won't be tempted to text and drive.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Makes sense, because that would have stopped her. Isn't there already a ban on driving 80 mph?
75 speed limit in Idaho. Im just glad she didnt kill someone else.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Great so we can have "Taylor's Law". Sucks for the parents, but do you really think making texting and driving illegal would have stopped your precious angel?

I'm guilty of this as well, but it's usually at a traffic light or stop and go traffic. Taking your eyes off the road at 80 mph is suicide.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Smarter would be better driving training earlier in life, and mandatory 2-4 years of time behind the wheel before they get to drive.

Like college, you need 2-4 years before you are qualified for your occupation. A kid should start at learning to drive at 14 and not be able to get a license until 18 IMO.

Shit is dangerous enough as it is with so many distractions. I feel sorry for this family, because the girl knew what she was doing, but did it anyway. I bet that chick was a 200+ text a day kid since she was 15. So it just becomes almost an addiction to text.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Great so we can have "Taylor's Law". Sucks for the parents, but do you really think making texting and driving illegal would have stopped your precious angel?

I'm guilty of this as well, but it's usually at a traffic light or stop and go traffic. Taking your eyes off the road at 80 mph is suicide.
I'll text while stopped also, but while driving the most I'll usually do is read them... this is when dictation comes in handy on my Android.

I've noticed that with the friends I ride with who still text, now instead of holding it up above the steering wheel so they can watch the road at the same time, they hold their phones down by their laps in order to avoid being seen... which of course is even more dangerous.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Smarter would be better driving training earlier in life, and mandatory 2-4 years of time behind the wheel before they get to drive.

Like college, you need 2-4 years before you are qualified for your occupation. A kid should start at learning to drive at 14 and not be able to get a license until 18 IMO.
Ontario has graduated licensing...

Class G1

New drivers of passenger vehicles learn to drive with six important conditions with a G1 licence. A new driver must hold a G1 licence for a minimum of 12 months before attempting the G1 road test. This time can be reduced to eight months if you successfully complete a Ministry-approved Beginner Driver Education Course . Drivers earn more privileges after passing their G1 road test.

As a G1 driver, you are required to:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;
be accompanied by a fully licensed driver, who has at least four years driving experience, and a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (accompanying drivers 21 and under must have zero per cent), in case he/she needs to take over the wheel;
ensure the accompanying driver is the only other person in the front seat;
ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts;
refrain from driving on Ontario's "400-series" highways or on high speed expressways such as the Queen Elizabeth Way, Don Valley Parkway, Gardiner Expressway, E.C. Row Expressway and the Conestoga Parkway;
refrain from driving between midnight and 5:00 a.m.

Note: If your accompanying driver is a driving instructor licensed in Ontario, you may drive on any road.

Class G2

New drivers must hold a G2 licence for a minimum of 12 months before they can attempt the G2 road test. At this level, you have more privileges because of your driving experience. You may drive without an accompanying driver on all Ontario roads anytime. However, you are still required to:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;
ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts.
For the first six months, G2 driver aged 19 and under cannot carry more than one passenger aged 19 and under between midnight and 5 a.m.
After the first six months, G2 driver aged 19 and under cannot carry more than three passengers aged 19 and under between midnight and 5 a.m. * These passenger restrictions do not apply if the G2 driver is accompanied by a full "G" licensed driver (with at least four years driving experience) in the front seat, or if the passengers are immediate family members.

Our Graduated Licensing System has been a resounding success in reducing death and injury among novice drivers. Ontario research shows that new teenage drivers are almost three times more likely to be involved in a fatal or serious collision when they are carrying teenage passengers. In fact, research shows the more teenage passengers, the higher the risk.

Thirty-one jurisdictions in Canada and the U.S. have some form of teenage passenger restrictions in effect.

And a recent change...

Zero Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) for Novice and Young Drivers 21 and Under.

Effective August 1, 2010, both novice drivers of any age and all drivers 21 and under, regardless of licence class, must have a blood alcohol level of zero when operating a motor vehicle.

If you are a novice driver and are caught with any amount of alcohol in your blood, you will receive an immediate 24-hour roadside driver licence suspension. If convicted, will be subject to a fine from $60-$500 and will receive a suspension period as per the Novice Driver Escalating Sanction scheme, up to and including cancellation of the novice licence. You will also have to return to the start of GLS.

If you are a fully licensed driver who is 21 and under and you are caught with alcohol in your blood, you will receive a 24-hour roadside driver licence suspension. If convicted, you will be subject to a fine of $60-$500 and a 30-day licence suspension.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Taylor was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She graduated seminary and loved being in Young Women

Well, she and I had that in common. Ba-da-bump.

The more I looked for other pictures of her, the less hot she got. So I stopped.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I've noticed that with the friends I ride with who still text, now instead of holding it up above the steering wheel so they can watch the road at the same time, they hold their phones down by their laps in order to avoid being seen... which of course is even more dangerous.
I've tried using Vlingo but it seems like it's always asking you to tap the screen for something so I'm still taking my eyes off the road to use it.

I always type one handed and holding my phone down beside me is how I've always done it. Those people that lean over the steering wheel typing on their phones scare me more than the one-handers.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I've tried using Vlingo but it seems like it's always asking you to tap the screen for something so I'm still taking my eyes off the road to use it.

I always type one handed and holding my phone down beside me is how I've always done it. Those people that lean over the steering wheel typing on their phones scare me more than the one-handers.
When I use to text I would hold it along-side the steering wheel... seemed to be the easiest for me.

Vlingo has an "In-car" mode that makes it more automated. You say "Hey Vlingo" to wake it up, then "Text Jason I'll be there in ten minutes" (for example). The last step requires you to actually hit send on your phone, but it works pretty well for me.

Also it seems like every keyboard and SMS app have dictation built in now, so just hitting the microphone on any of those is pretty easy if I don't have Vlingo open.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
R.I.P. Tom Sawyer

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
Indeed not safe. Dumb idiots,Nail em up I say! Nail some sense into them!

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
Ms Sauer, 18, was texting on the long drive to her parents’ house to ‘stay awake,’ her father Clay told the Today show, adding, ‘but that’s not a reason to do it.

Bullshit! She was doing it because she's a moron. I'd bet she regularly texts while driving.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
She's got dumb thin upper-lip syndrome, let's people know how retarded the person is. Oh the irony, hey i could catch aids if i fuck this $20 hooker. Might get lucky, might die. We all take risks.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
What little hotness she had drained out when I hit the fact she was a dirty Mormon.

Aside from that, this is far from an isolated incident. No matter what law you pass, teenagers are all under the delusion that they will live forever. I make a habit of cruising through a part of the county I live in on my way home from my shift specifically looking for texting high school girls on their way to school. I almost always catch one, and I have no mercy. $200 first offense.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
What little hotness she had drained out when I hit the fact she was a dirty Mormon.

Aside from that, this is far from an isolated incident. No matter what law you pass, teenagers are all under the delusion that they will live forever. I make a habit of cruising through a part of the county I live in on my way home from my shift specifically looking for texting high school girls on their way to school. I almost always catch one, and I have no mercy. $200 first offense.
Do they loose points as well?

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.

Thank god for MH.

Bet they piss and moan the whole time.