Wendys Dropping Wig Ad Campaign

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
You know those advertisements for Wendys that involve people wearing red Wendys wigs? Oh we all had a laugh, didn't we. Well say goodbye to that ad campaign.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-080128wendys-ads-story,0,1882352.story
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Wendy's International Inc. will scrap its eight-month old advertising campaign -- much of it built on young men wearing a red wig with braided pigtails -- amid continued weak sales, the nation's third-largest hamburger chain announced Monday.

The campaign, which debuted during the season finale of "American Idol" in May, has generated attention, but hasn't translated into improved sales, the company said.

"It was a love it or hate it kind of spot," said Bob Holtcamp, Wendy's vice president of brand marketing.

Related links
McDonald's slower December U.S. sales hit stock despite 4Q profit
Stocks Rise on Rate Cut Hopes
The campaign was built on the slogan "That's right." It was meant to rely on humor to emphasize the chain's made-to-order food and unfrozen beef it sought to build sales among younger consumers. In several ads, customers wear a red wig that looks like the pigtails on Wendy, the chain's mascot based on founder Dave Thomas' daughter of the same name.

The slogan for a new campaign, released Monday at Wendy's national convention in Orlando, Fla., is "It's waaaay better than fast food. It's Wendy's."

The red wig remains part of the campaign, designed by kirshenbaum bond + partners, but the focus is on the company's familiar Wendy logo.

The logo opens and closes each ad. An animated Wendy holds a fishing rod in one ad to introduce the new fish sandwich. In other ads, she takes a bite out of a hamburger or holds a piggy bank to promote Wendy's super value menu.

The new campaign better represents Wendy's traditions while still focusing on the key target audience of 18-to-34-year-olds, Kerrii Anderson, Wendy's president and chief executive, said in an interview.

"It feels like Wendy's again," she said.

Holtcamp said Wendy's emphasis on its quality food was getting distracted by the red wig campaign.

The change comes after the chain reported this month that sales at stores opened at least a year -- considered a key indicator of a retailer's strength -- fell 0.8 percent at U.S. company restaurants in the fourth quarter compared with a 3.1 percent increase in the fourth quarter of 2006. At franchise restaurants, same-store sales were up 0.2 percent for the quarter, compared with a 2.7 percent increase the year before.

For the year, same-store sales rose 0.9 percent for company stores and 1.9 percent for franchise stores compared with a 0.8 percent increase in U.S. company stores and a 0.6 percent increase at U.S. franchise stores in 2006.

After reaching a high of $44.22 last summer, Wendy's stock price has been cut nearly in half, closing down $1.34, or 5.3 percent, to $23.92 Monday. Its 52-week low is $22.48.

The company formed a committee last spring to study options to boost its stock price that could include a possible sale. Billionaire investor Nelson Peltz, who controls 9.8 percent of Wendy's stock along with his allies, submitted an offer to buy Wendy's in November, but the proposed price is lower than the $37 to $41 a share that he previously said it was worth.

The committee said Monday in a statement that its review is nearly complete.

Wendy's spends about $300 million a year in advertising. The red wig campaign was developed by Saatchi & Saatchi, the agency responsible for Wendy's "Where's the Beef?" campaign.

The campaigns are among several Wendy's has tried since the 2002 death of Thomas, who appeared in more than 800 ads.

Wendy's, based in the Columbus suburb of Dublin, operates about 6,700 restaurants in the United States and aboard. It trails McDonald's Corp. and Burger King Holdings Inc. in the burger business.
Seriously, who were the ad wizards who came up with that uninspired scheme.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Make good burgers. Sell for a good price. Have the people selling it be hygenic and courteous. Sales success.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
They need to get rid of the Fucking Baconator too. Christ they ruined a decent Double Cheeseburger by adding 10 slices of fucking Bacon oh Christ now im talking like the Jimmy Dean guy.

Mar 15, 2004
They need to get rid of the Fucking Baconator too. Christ they ruined a decent Double Cheeseburger by adding 10 slices of fucking Bacon oh Christ now im talking like the Jimmy Dean guy.
NO, they ruined a bacon burger with cheese sauce, NOT piece of cheese.

So even if you Eat In, they wrap it up in a piece of foil and it's a MOTHERFUCKING MESS in the time it takes you to walk to a table. And don't bother getting it To Go.

Fuck the Baconator. It angers me that Wendy's made me hate something with the perfect meat on it.

Smokezilla

U. S. Backstroke Roulette Champion
Jul 30, 2005
Let me get this straight: You bitchin' about TOO MUCH BACON ON YOUR BURGER?!?!? **Gasp!!!**:icon_eek:

You can NEVER have too much bacon on your burger, Silly Goose!!!:action-sm

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
I remember one time, I was just in the mood for some crap food.
Stopped at WEndy's and grabbed a burger, then went to McDonalds for fresh hot fries.

hmmmmm. Good crap food.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
I like Wendy's fries better than McDonald's. Sure, McD's are really good if you get them fresh from the fryer but how fucking often does that happen?

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
I like Wendy's fries better than McDonald's. Sure, McD's are really good if you get them fresh from the fryer but how fucking often does that happen?
What I did that time was asked them to make them fresh. They didnt seem to mind.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
And thaaat's how you executive produce an ad campaign.

I still like Wendy's, especially the nuggets. They are my perfect drinking food. I also agree about the poor customer service. I remember ordering 20 orders of nuggets at 1am, and the fucker had the nerve to give me the evil eye.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
God needed a horrible Wendy's marketing campaign.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
It was a stupid ad campaign. But having said that...

I haven't been at a fast-food restaurant for some time now but I don't remember Wendy's being all that good anyway.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
The only major campaign in recent years that I hated more than the Wendy's pigtail one was the awful Six Flags ads with the old guy dancing. Fucking hated those.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
Spicy Chicken!

edit- addaed !

Socialenemy69

Jun 19, 2007
I usually have one of the salads and or sometimes a chicken burger with baked potato. Yes I eat pretty healthy, no homo.