Went suit shopping the other day.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
My job never requires me to be in a suit, but when I go out I sometimes like to dress up a bit. Look good, you know?

I don't care what you think about rappers, but these Sean John suits are pretty fucking sweet.

No homo.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
UGHHH
Fuckin puttin' money
in that NIG-NOGS pocket

Get Ahold of Yourself dude

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I hate wearing these suits I tell ya....the drive me nuts!

Did it come with a feather for your hat?

I had a Sean John suit once, but it looked and felt just like my Polo suit.

(He samples from other people....get it? Yuck.)

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
As ridiculously pretentious as this sounds, I actually like suits. In particular, I like suit jackets. I haven't bought a new suit in ages. I never really went particularly fancy with them (the last "new" suit I bought was from Men's Warerhouse), I don't like spending money. I don't even know where I got most of my stuff from actually. And occasionally (not often but occasionally) I might by second hand clothing, take it to a dry cleaners, and have it "fixed."

But I haven't bought any clothing in probably close to a year.

So, in conclusion, I'm a big fan of suits. I think they are very underrated apparel, especially in this "business casual" environment we live in. Unfortunately because of that situation you can't wear a tie without looking like an ass.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I always feel like a jackass wearing a suit. I just don't do it.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda fella. I hate wearing suits and the like, but if I do have to wear one - I want to look good. I got a decent suit that I break out when needed. For now, it suits my needs - el o el.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I always feel like a jackass wearing a suit. I just don't do it.
x2

for me the suit and the dirty hands just dont go together. i just bought a sport coat, now its a really nice one (mens warehouse 300$) its probably the most expencive single peice of clothing that ive ever bought :icon_roll even then i just hate wearing it, ive only worn it three times i think i look like a tool wearing it

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
jeans , t shirts, and work boots are my thing , and i agree with the jack ass thing so i got 5 nice shirts, 5 nice ties, 3 different pairs of black pants and a black leather sport coat. mix and match it all works out

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Ewww Sean John?

Here you go. I would only buy these brands. (And before I drove trucks I sold suits at Macys and Bloomingdales, so I know a thing or two)

http://www.josephabboud.com/
http://www.canali.it/
http://www.ralphlauren.com/home/index.jsp?direct (Black or purple label ONLY)
http://www.burberry.com/
http://www.zegna.com/

Support Abboud, they provide Jimmy and the boys nice stuff to wear when they're on Letterman and Leno.

Every man should have a good suit. And don't buy black if you're only going to have one. Charcoal or navy is better for more situations.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Ewww Sean John?

Here you go. I would only buy these brands. (And before I drove trucks I sold suits at Macys and Bloomingdales, so I know a thing or two)

http://www.josephabboud.com/
http://www.canali.it/
http://www.ralphlauren.com/home/index.jsp?direct (Black or purple label ONLY)
http://www.burberry.com/
http://www.zegna.com/

Support Abboud, they provide Jimmy and the boys nice stuff to wear when they're on Letterman and Leno.

Every man should have a good suit. And don't buy black if you're only going to have one. Charcoal or navy is better for more situations.
yup that's what I get... charcoal suit, navy sport coat. and a variety of other sportcoats that I never wear.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The boys looked like a pair of kids going to Church on Easter with a sportscoat and pants.

They looked stupid.
I thought they looked hot.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
To everyone who says they're uncomfortable in a suit, its probably either a poorly made suit or doesn't fit right. A good wool suit is more comfortable than jeans and a button up shirt to me. Jeans are thick material and don't breathe at all. That's why I wouldn't suggest going to one of those places that sell suits for $99 if you can afford better. Get a nice 2 single button suit, and it will pay for itself 10 times over by the time you can't wear it anymore.

And take it to a decent tailor to get the alterations done, if it doesn't fit right you're going to look sloppy and you're going to be uncomfortable.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
And take it to a decent tailor to get the alterations done, if it doesn't fit right you're going to look sloppy and you're going to be uncomfortable.
I really do need to go to a tailor. I just don't have the money. I also think the slightly ill-fitting (not in the tight way but in the kind of too big way), slightly dissheveled suit works for me. I think three piece suits are awesome but unfortunately expensive. And if I could pull off a fedora without looking like an ass, I would at the very least try. Those are the only type of hats that look cool. And no man ever looked better than when he's wearing a tuxedo.

Yes, I do wish it was the 1920s.

The worst is going on job interviews or going to a job and someone says something like "it's business casual why are you wearing a suit" and there's no answer to give that doesn't sound like "Because I'm a fucking douchebag!" If you say you like wearing suits, you're weird or you look like you just casually disregarded orders from a superior. And that you're not a team player. But the blazer pockets are my utility belt. Where else can you keep your phone, note pad, cigarettes (if you happen to smoke), and Inno? Your pants pockets? Fuck you.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I really do need to go to a tailor. I just don't have the money. I also think the slightly ill-fitting (not in the tight way but in the kind of too big way), slightly dissheveled suit works for me. I think three piece suits are awesome but unfortunately expensive. And if I could pull off a fedora without looking like an ass, I would at the very least try. Those are the only type of hats that look cool. And no man ever looked better than when he's wearing a tuxedo.

Yes, I do wish it was the 1920s.

The worst is going on job interviews or going to a job and someone says something like "it's business casual why are you wearing a suit" and there's no answer to give that doesn't sound like "Because I'm a fucking douchebag!" If you say you like wearing suits, you're weird or you look like you just casually disregarded orders from a superior. And that you're not a team player. But the blazer pockets are my utility belt. Where else can you keep your phone, note pad, cigarettes (if you happen to smoke), and Inno? Your pants pockets? Fuck you.
Well the whole jacket pocket thing is a personal choice, but I would never even remove the tacking from the pockets on my jackets. A suit jacket should drape properly and having things in the pockets ends up giving a bulky sloppy look IMO.

No one looks good in a loose suit, just like no one looks good in a tight suit.

I actually had a knitter come in when I worked at Macys and he was about my size (5'9" 150lbs at the time), I wore a 38R. He INSISTED that I sell him a 44L, which would be suited for a 6'4" 270 lb. guy. I wouldn't wish that sort of embarrassment on anyone, but he was paying. :(

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
they suck because they were looking the same trying for the "too cool to dress up" look.

it made them look dumb to wear the same shit.
I can't remembe exactly what they had on, but if I recall it was jeans and a sportcoat look. They didn't match exactly just had the same kind of look, which is also the look most guests on those shows have.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Well the whole jacket pocket thing is a personal choice, but I would never even remove the tacking from the pockets on my jackets. A suit jacket should drape properly and having things in the pockets ends up giving a bulky sloppy look IMO.
Inside pockets, not the outside pockets. And the outside pockets are good for filling them with diamonds before you get spotted by the old Jewish woman on a New York Street.

And I never tried to pass myself off as some fashionista. I know I dress poorly most of the time but whatever, I can't pick out good clothing from bad clothing and it doesn't particularly matter to me either way. I like suits even if I do give them a bad name. I can't realy defend myself on this point.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
UGHHH
Fuckin puttin' money
in that NIG-NOGS pocket

Get Ahold of Yourself dude
Actually, you're putting money in my brother-in-law's pocket, and thereby giving my sister a nice house to live in. Same for Abboud, BCBG and about half a dozen other brands.

My grandfather was in men's clothing for his whole career. I learned how to get a suit properly fitted from him and my father. Like shoes, spending more money up front on the suit and proper tailoring will actually save you money in the long run. You'll be more comfortable and it should wear better and last longer.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
suits just look like fancy uniforms. i have 2 chicks that help me out with mix and match combos. variety gotta have it. eventually people are gonna notice that you dust of " ol' fancy pants" to wear again.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If you live in/around the Dallas area there's a bad ass store called K&G Men's Wear (Don't know if it's elsewhere too) You can pick up some very nice Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, etc brand suits for 100-300, and we're talking stuff that would go for $1,000 elsewhere.

I'm a fan of the suit. I have a closet full of shirts and ties that require cuff links and nice suits to go with them. I used to be in finance, it goes with the territory. Don's right, if you have a well made suit on it's far more comfortable than jeans, the only discomfort is you're a lot more pissed if you spill something or get yourself dirty.

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
I have to wear one everyday at work and Its to big I need a new one..I like the whole suit look but not when it's a lil to big..I feel like a tool.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
If you live in/around the Dallas area there's a bad ass store called K&G Men's Wear (Don't know if it's elsewhere too) You can pick up some very nice Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, etc brand suits for 100-300, and we're talking stuff that would go for $1,000 elsewhere.
x2 on that. Avoid their $99.00 suit. It sucks.

They do carry some good Calvin Klein, Jones New York, and Polo suits for around $200.

Oh, and if one can afford the Joseph Abboud, they are made in America, so let's support our own economy. Same goes for Skip Gambert, dress shirts made in America.

http://www.skipgambert.com/sga/