Westboro Baptist plans protest in Niceville, FL

scales

Jan 15, 2011
Destin, FL
Five members of Westboro Baptist Church will picket before the Teutenberg family’s memorial service Friday in Niceville, a church member said Thursday.

The anti-gay church based in Topeka, Kan., and best known for protesting at military funerals, will picket outside Niceville United Methodist Church a few hours before the 1 p.m. service, said Westboro member Jonathan Phelps.

The group will hold signs, sing songs and speak with anyone who is interested, Phelps said.

“All of our pickets are always peaceful,” he said. “We aren’t interested in violence.”

Fred and Terresa Teutenberg and their children — 10-year-old Will, 9-year-old Brendon, 6-year-old Ellie, 4-year-old Peyton and 2-year-old Emma — were killed Saturday night when their family plane crashed in Alabama while they were returning home from a family reunion in St. Louis.

When asked how the Teutenbergs’ memorial came to their attention Phelps said, “You pick any collection of seven and they fall out of the sky, it’s probably going to draw our attention.”

Phelps and a news release issued by the church said the crash was a direct result of God’s anger for the “sins of a wicked nation.”

Niceville United Methodist issued a short statement on its website about the protest. Church leaders said they were “deeply saddened by the choice of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church” and that they “do not believe that God caused this tragedy.”

Niceville police met with representatives of the Okaloosa County sheriff’s Office on Thursday morning to discuss “contingency plans” for the picket, said Niceville Police Capt. David Popwell.

“We are prepared for anything that happens,” he said. “(But) we don’t expect anything earth-shattering to happen.”

Popwell said the picketers can exercise their First Amendment right so long as they stay on the sidewalk, don’t block traffic and don’t interfere with the memorial service.

Niceville United Methodist has asked that the picketers not be allowed on its property and that will be enforced, he said.

Lawmen won’t be the only ones on hand to ensure the memorial service goes on as planned.

As word about the protest spread, residents such as Jerry Strawser made plans to act as a buffer Friday between the picketers and the mourners.

“It’s wrong for those Westboro people to be there,” Strawser said. “I definitely wanted to help shelter those folks.”

Strawser said he has no personal connection to the Teutenbergs, but knew what he needed to do the moment he heard about the protest.

“It’s not about knowing those folks,” he said. “It’s about doing what’s right.”

Read more: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/service-41804-teutenberg-memorial.html#ixzz1S8lOVdbw

...So they are protesting at this memorial because the family is from a gay-friendly state... does Westbroro Baptist know how republican northwest FL is... I guess that is why they are only sending 5 protesters

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Can someone send a hit-squad out on these people already. Enough is enough.

MonkeyTits

Jun 20, 2005
...So they are protesting at this memorial because the family is from a gay-friendly state... does Westbroro Baptist know how republican northwest FL is... I guess that is why they are only sending 5 protesters
I was surprised they ranged so far from home. Must be taking the kids to Disneyworld.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Welcome to Wackbag. You must be new here.
:haha7:

How ironic would it be if something awful were to happen to the Phelps family while protesting in "Niceville?"
I'm severely tempted to show up and counter protest these douchebags (if they even make it to the church), or at least help out with the cordon some locals are setting up.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Really? Remind me how our liberal state of California voted on the whole gay marriage issue...
Because ignorant fundies ran attack ads claiming that if you vote for gay marriage, you will be forcing your children to go to school and witness acts of male sodomy as part of their classroom curriculum.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Because ignorant fundies ran attack ads claiming that if you vote for gay marriage, you will be forcing your children to go to school and witness acts of male sodomy as part of their classroom curriculum.
Ignorant? More like brilliant. They were sued over that and lost, but the damage was done.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
A local radio station is claiming they got the WBC to not picket the funeral in exchange for an on-air interview.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
A local radio station is claiming they got the WBC to not picket the funeral in exchange for an on-air interview.
Which continues to play into these fuckers goals. The media just needs to ignore these asshats and they'll go away.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Which continues to play into these fuckers goals. The media just needs to ignore these asshats and they'll go away.
or a hemlock smoothie...

Steve from Yellowstone needs to call in support of WBC :icon_wink
:haha7: I will have a lot of respect if the guy hangs up on the fuckers, as it will be too late for them to go protest the funeral. If I actually listen, though, and he gives these savages air time...
Yeah, Might be a Steve from Panama City calling it...

Nov 29, 2006
FL
or a hemlock smoothie...

:haha7: I will have a lot of respect if the guy hangs up on the fuckers, as it will be too late for them to go protest the funeral. If I actually listen, though, and he gives these savages air time...
Yeah, Might be a Steve from Panama City calling it...
Shit, this is the first I'm hearing of this. This was today? How does an entire local family perish and I don't know about it til a week later.... from Wackbag, no less.

Jul 15, 2011
Probably, they'll be welcomed with open arms. Birds of a feather and all that
I live in Niceville and people here are open minded. Not near as prejudiced and judgemental as you seem to be. Also, why would a town that lives within 30 minutes of two military bases support people with signs saying "Thank God for dead soldiers"? Common sense much?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I live in Niceville and people here are open minded. Not near as prejudiced and judgemental as you seem to be. Also, why would a town that lives within 30 minutes of two military bases support people with signs saying "Thank God for dead soldiers"? Common sense much?
This is why the 909 post count thing sucks. It takes all the enjoyment out of knowing someone's a Google friend.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
This is why the 909 post count thing sucks. It takes all the enjoyment out of knowing someone's a Google friend.
You could always take the time to read their shitty post. That is a dead giveaway.