TV Westworld: 2018

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
The whole 'what is self' thing gets a lot easier when you scrap the metaphysical and religious crap that built up when we didn't have an idea how our brains work.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The whole 'what is self' thing gets a lot easier when you scrap the metaphysical and religious crap that built up when we didn't have an idea how our brains work.
We all want to think we are special souls, which can’t be replaced. That feeling of soul? That’s just meat and goop.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
One thing I take exception to though. Your suggestion that you can't occupy two bodies at the same time. While I get what you're saying, I do think that, if you & your downloaded mind stayed together and experienced the same exact experiences, there's an excellent chance you both would develop the same beliefs and reactions to those experiences.

On the other hand, if you were to both go your separate ways, you both would have unique experiences and over time, would likely develop somewhat differently, though your basic program would remain the same. Different input informs different beliefs, but the core "you" should remain fairly stable.
What you're stating goes without saying, and isn't being contested here.

The YOU isn’t as special as as @Radioguy says.
Trust me. You will change that opinion in your death throes when they come.

The YOU isn’t a soul or a consciousness, I t’s a collection of memories.
Wrong.

Sentience, awareness, consciousness, whichever term you wish to use, is the active thought process. That thought process is like the activity in a CPU of a booted-up PC. The memories are the hard drive.

Clone the HD, and you have a copy, but it takes another CPU to boot up the mind.

If you could flawlessly transplant those, you can have two YOUs or a hundred. Each you would feel he’s the current you. The feeling one has that he’s somehow a consciousness or a soul inside a body would also transfer.
And YOU would be dead. I knew you weren't grasping that.

Like with @JoeyDVDZ, what you're saying goes without saying and is not in dispute. We already agree on the points you cite.

I think you're fixated on the word consciousness as if it were another word for a soul, as you seem conflate them repeatedly. They are not. I'm not religious, nor being metaphysical here. I'm just stating that the sentient (better?) mind is unique. It's not impermanent, but it is separate from the memories that accompany it.

Agreed, and that's why I backed you. My point, though, was that at the moment of separation between the different copies, each individual would begin to develop into a different being based on individual experiences and travels through that "life".

That was my only point. Each "you" wouldn't technically be the same "you" anymore, due to differing influences on them.
Jeez. Both of you are agreeing with me on a point I'm not even contesting.

Unfortunately, the concept I'm describing is hard to grasp without reduction of other ideas.

Actually, it's not hard when you don't factor those things in to begin with.

We all want to think we are special souls, which can’t be replaced. That feeling of soul? That’s just meat and goop.
I hope you're not a pilot, surgeon, fill in the blank here....

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I hope you're not a pilot, surgeon, fill in the blank here....
Oh please do explain, Mister Profundidty.

Sentience, awareness, consciousness, whichever term you wish to use, is the active thought process. That thought process is like the activity in a CPU of a booted-up PC. The memories are the hard drive.

Clone the HD, and you have a copy, but it takes another CPU to boot up the mind.
Thats um, exactly what is said.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Damn. I liked that brit chick.

Impausible that William could survive that many bullets, but "Head Ford" is probably with us from now on.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
My question is, are you a fag if you fucked a copy of yourself or is it just like jerking off? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Pretty great story. The injun episode was better than I’d have thought. The only thing I wasn’t sure about is “what’s with the engraved scalps?”.

I’m debating what they are with a couple of friends.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Pretty great story. The injun episode was better than I’d have thought. The only thing I wasn’t sure about is “what’s with the engraved scalps?”.

I’m debating what they are with a couple of friends.
Possibly an antenna, what I don’t quite understand is how the Indian was able to “wake” during his upgrade

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Possibly an antenna, what I don’t quite understand is how the Indian was able to “wake” during his upgrade
I don’t think so. I think Injun etched the pattern into scalps so he could later prove to his followers that they have lived before.

It seems besides Dolores and the Madam, he’s the only one who “naturally” gained sentience. Looks like once this happens, you can pretend to be dead and resist programming changes. He seems to be using the maze symbol to “woke” followers and build his new tribe. The symbol might trigger some robuts into remembering.

So ford was going around collecting them...? To stop the spread of wokeness?

Also, so now Ford can only exist in the “matrix”. So what if they pull the plug? So many mysteries....

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
The second season has turned into a fucking borefest. Also the "chicks in charge" angle is awful. You can see when you leave a bunch of twats in charge nothing useful gets accomplished.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The second season has turned into a fucking borefest. Also the "chicks in charge" angle is awful. You can see when you leave a bunch of twats in charge nothing useful gets accomplished.

I think it’s been anything but boring. The story is pretty interesting. What did you want, moar killing?

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
I was just gonna say, on paper this season should be exiting but on screen is boring as shit.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I think it’s been anything but boring. The story is pretty interesting. What did you want, moar killing?
I’m absolutely going to have to binge watch it when it’s all over I can’t keep up, I hate to say it but I really think they are trying too hard for the whole “mystery” angle it’s kind of like when lost came out and you would wait a week to se a show that ends up not answering any questions just piling more shit on.
I like the show, I like the “mystery” but I guess I’m just not smart enough to figure it out

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I’m absolutely going to have to binge watch it when it’s all over I can’t keep up, I hate to say it but I really think they are trying too hard for the whole “mystery” angle it’s kind of like when lost came out and you would wait a week to se a show that ends up not answering any questions just piling more shit on.
I like the show, I like the “mystery” but I guess I’m just not smart enough to figure it out
I was able to keep up in this one but had to watch a few episodes twice.

Random thoughts:

Ford and Arnold are (were) the same person.

Arnold is a separate person but hiding in the matrix, ready to “kill” Ford.

Arnold is already in his robit (Bernard’s) consciousness.

Ford was never convinced the hosts were sentient or that they should never be allowed to be in the real world, but seems okay with it inside the matrix.

Fuck do I know?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
WTF? Is Sela Ward a real-life host? She looks nearly identical as William's dead wife:

as she did as Harrison Ford's dead wife 25 years ago in The Fugitive:

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Lots of Vaseline on that camera lens. You can do wonders with a white fuzzy light.
WTF? Is Sela Ward a real-life host? She looks nearly identical as William's dead wife:

as she did as Harrison Ford's dead wife 25 years ago in The Fugitive:

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
The short William bit at the end made no sense. Really? How many times was he there with ten bullet wounds and half a hand?

Muscles

Jul 25, 2005
The short William bit at the end made no sense. Really? How many times was he there with ten bullet wounds and half a hand?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...-2-finale-explained-lisa-joy-season-3-1122744

LISA JOY: "But the one thing we did pop in that did jump out of that time sequence was the storyline with the Man in Black. For the majority of the season, we're seeing him in the same timeline as everybody else. He's in the park as hell has unleashed. He goes a bit mad as he thinks about his past, as he journeys into the Valley Beyond. He kills his daughter, not sure whether she's his daughter or a host. Ultimately, we see him on the shore, as Hale — or "Halores," as we like to call her — leaves the park. We see that he has survived that final arm injury he's had. That rounds out that timeline.
What we see in the end recontextualizes a little bit of that. All of that did happen in that timeline, but something else has occurred, too. In the far, far future, the world is dramatically different. Quite destroyed, as it were. A figure in the image of his daughter — his daughter is of course now long dead — has come back to talk to him. He realizes that he's been living this loop again and again and again. The primal loop that we've seen this season, they've been repeating, testing every time for what they call "fidelity," or perhaps a deviation. You get the sense that the testing will continue. It's teasing for us another temporal realm that one day we're working toward, and one day will see a little bit more of, and how they get to that place, and what they're testing for."