What are your favorite PSX/PS2 classics on the PSN?

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
There are a lot of games on the network that I've never heard of. If anyone has played and enjoyed any of these games let us know. I play it safe and by the games I know. Here is a list of what I own.

PSX

Legends Of Dragoon
Parasite Eve
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Nemesis
Dino Crisis
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Nuclear Strike
Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue! (hey its a good platformer)
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Warhawk
Destruction Derby
Twisted Metal 2

PS2

Odin Sphere
Persona 3 FES
Max Payne
Red Faction

Let us know if there are other games worth buying.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I just spent thirty minutes typing up little blurbs for each of those games that I'd played. All the while I was like "who the fuck would be asking about Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy 7, and Twisted Metal 2 like they've never heard of them?"

And then I re-read the post.

---

If you like RPGs, Suikoden is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Good political bumfuckery, and 108 different recruitable/playable/and missable characters. You get a central headquarters/castle that expands and grows as you recruit your army. It goes from a rock in the middle of a lake to a bustling center of domination stocked with all kinds of shops/minigames/sidequests to delve into. Sort of like how your town came alive in Skies of Arcadia. Suikoden 2 would be even better, but they fucking refuse to bring it out on the PSN for some reason.

If you like platformers/adventure/collectathons, you owe it to yourself to look into Tomba. MediEvil would be another fun choice - as would Maximo, which is a PSN PS2 classic and a spiritual successor to Super Ghouls n Ghosts/Goblins. I don't remember it being quite as difficult, but I had a lot of fun with it when it came out. All three solid games, but Tomba is a head above all.

Looking through the complete list of games I'm sickened by the shitty NA selection compared to the Japanese section. Biased pieces of shit. I'd love to play Tecmo's Deception again.

---

Some other good games

- Breath of Fire IV (The last, classic Breath of Fire game. The prettiest of them all. Maybe not better than 3, but close.)
- Brave Fencer Musashi (My copy was stolen before I could beat it back in the day, but it was a pretty fun deviation from Squaresoft's RPG formula of the time.)
- Brigandine (Sort of like a giant game of medieval Risk vs several AI enemies. You conquer kingdoms, recruit prisoners, promote troops - was pretty cool.)
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (I don't think anything needs to be said for this one.)
- Xenogears (Or this one, at this point in time.)

There's plenty more, and I didn't really touch the PS2 classics, but I'm tuckered out.

Sep 28, 2010
Damn. I gotta fire mine up to buy Red Faction and MGS

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.

I adore Atlus as a game company. Nothing but solid titles. Always wanted to play this one through. Seems a lot like FF:Tactics.

Solid game, solid story.

Way off the beaten path, but if you can play it, it's a riot. And deep like Ikaruga if you can get into it.