What can I do with this thing?

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Had the inspection on the new house this evening. (which went great by the way) Took a few pictures. One being the ancient dish that hasn't been used since the original owner in the 80s.

It seems to still be connected or cabled up. The original receiver and some other cables are up in the attic.

Anyone have experience with these old dishes? Can I pick up various feeds or even regular programming with this dish? The Dad is wondering if we could pick up free channels with it.

Just checking in here before browsing a ton of AV and satellite forums.

If it don't work we're just going to dismantle the thing and scrap it.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
You can Talk to this guys friends _______________>
:greyalien:

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
I did some looking into this a while back. I am actually a bit jealous, but I am also a radio/tv geek.

I am going from faded memories, but if you get a new decent receiver, you will be able to order channels ala cart from providers off of the c-band and ku band satellites.

That means if you have a HDTV and you only wanna watch HD-HBO, you can get just that channel and pay only like 12 a month. Most of the regular cable channels are about a dollar a month.

If you want to just fuck around with it and you don't want to pay, you should also be able to find some free feeds. My dad had a C-Band when I was a kid and I would stay up all night all of the time just looking for radio and tv feeds. I bet more of the feeds are encrypted now, but it always felt like I stumbled onto a goldmine when I found someone like Viacom sending a weeks worth of syndicated episodes for a week to the stations all at once.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
yea im sure that it will still receve shit but being able to decode it is the trick, im sure you could listen to jebuz broadcasts, ive found that jebus is on every band and free for the takeing, i have an old tube short wave and sit in the basement of the 200 or so signals that i can get 198 jebus stations and two bbc broadcasts

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Cool. Sounds like this could fun. I'd like to use it to see what kind of free shit I get spending as little money as possible.

We're still going to have Directv or cable or something, but I'd love to mess around with this.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
yea im sure that it will still receve shit but being able to decode it is the trick, im sure you could listen to jebuz broadcasts, ive found that jebus is on every band and free for the takeing, i have an old tube short wave and sit in the basement of the 200 or so signals that i can get 198 jebus stations and two bbc broadcasts
It is true that shortwave is overrun by the Jesus freaks, but you can find some interesting stuff out there if you are patient and bored.

Love my Grundig.