What did your parents listen to?

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
My Dad left when I was 5 (I guess he didn't love me, buut I'm sure it was my fault)

So my moms would play:

1) All by Myself by Eric Carman
2) That damn Tapestry album they talked about
and
3) Kenny Rogers & the First Edition- Just stopped in to see what condition my condition is in. (which later seemed cool when The Big Lebowski came out)

Rumrunner

bring back the walkover
Feb 20, 2006
Springfield, NJ
my mom: Abba, Julio Iglesias
my dad: tijuana brass

that's what I remember that stuck out (they are from Bolivia)

SickSean

Jun 22, 2007
Buffalo, NY
my father would play American Pie on a cassette and would flip it out and rewind it so he could listen to it again while driving must of heard that song 362 times

GoatAss

"Girls Like a Man With a Sharp Hairdo"
Oct 3, 2005
Pennsylvania
My Dad loved Black Sabbath. He also as a change of pace loved listening to Elvis.

My Mom loved the Beatles.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Dad :
K95 (country station in Zanesville, Ohio)
He would entire hours of it, just for the songs, then listen to it on long trips...
I still remember those damned tapes, with the red and white blank sticker label on the front, all of which had "K95" written on them.

And Elvis

Mom : Anne Curry, Whiteney Houston, Charoits of Fire soundtrack, Huey Lewis, etc...

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
my dad likes Divo, Jane's Addiction, CCR, sly and the familiy stone...he's pretty weird

my mom likes jackson browne, the eagles, bob seger, joe cocker, jim croce

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Dad: He's 60 and grew up in Brooklyn so it's pretty much doowop/Sinatra

Mom: lots of 70s and 80s rock

I've more been influenced by my dad than mom.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
My dad raised me on the best;

The Doors
CCR
Beatles
The Who
The list literally goes on and on.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Mom: Joan Baez , Jackson Browne, all those folksy types. She also loved that Lionel Ritchie album with "Dancing On The Ceiling".

Dad: Doo Wop, all that 50s and early 60s stuff.

Neither of them are really into music at all though, not like I was. The coolest moment I remember about my dad when it comes to music is when I would listen to The Misfits and The Ramones and he actually liked them. My mother hated my music, she was scared of me when I started listening to Slayer, she was convinced I was worshipping Satan.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
Traditional Irish Music, Old School Country

peopleselbow

YiChen BuddhaChrist
Jan 25, 2006
Chicago
A lot of classical, Queen, Hendrix, The Band, Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Motown.

I remember when I bought my first Sabbath LP, my Dad thought he lost me as a son. He was convinced I would fall victim to Satan and heroin. I never did drugs and I still occasionally go to church. He was wrong.

nolajersey

Miss Wackbag Cleavage 2006 & 2007
Jun 2, 2006
Dirty Jerzee
My Dad: The Door, The Who, Santana, Hendrix, Eagles, Three Dog Night, etc

My Mom: Beatles, Some rock and a lot of country.

Slow Bollards

Bollards...sounds a bit rude, doesn't it?
Apr 28, 2005
SILLY-delphia!
Both: Beatles, G. Dead, Who, Traffic, Floyd.

When my dad would work nights my mom would get drunk and play records for me. She explained what the Kinks' "Lola" was about years before Jimmy Norton taught me how funny transexuals can be. I also remember that the "John Barleycorn" song from Traffic was like a horror movie to me when I was five. I can't wait to teach my kids about music.

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
I grew up listening to the original C-B-S in NY, so my parents had great taste in music as do I now and I've been a Beatle fan since I was 4 thanks to my parents. My father likes more classic rock related stuff whereas my mom likes more doo-wop, the girl groups from the 50s and 60s, etc

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
My mom listened to mostly oldies, late 60's pop, disco, etc.

My dad liked pretty much all 50's and 60's music, plus crazy country stuff like Roger Miller and whatnot... he also likes to listen to recordings of trains. Yes trains. Different locomotive/track combinations each have distinct sounds.

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
Dad: The Eagles and Broadway musicals

Mom: Sinatra.

In recent years, Mom's discovered into U2, Pink Floyd, and INXS. Dad wouldn't know about current music these days unless Limbaugh and O'Reilley were complaining about it.

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
My mom and dad both listened to country. My dad was a huge turtles fan (when I was going through his things, I found every album they released)

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Dad - lot of Stones and Beatles and various other classic rock

Mom - Pat Benatar, AC/DC, Eagles, Seger, and most recently Kid Rock

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
My Dad left when I was 5 (I guess he didn't love me, buut I'm sure it was my fault)

So my moms would play:

1) All by Myself by Eric Carman
2) That damn Tapestry album they talked about
and
3) Kenny Rogers & the First Edition- Just stopped in to see what condition my condition is in. (which later seemed cool when The Big Lebowski came out)
My dad left too when I was 7. Although I do remember how fun it was when I was little he would put these old Creedence Clearwater records on and I would dance around in the living room. I used to constantly ask him to put on "Down on the Corner".
My mom was always into the Rolling Stones and Janis Joplin.

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
My parents never really played their own records. What I remember of their collection was shit like The Harper's Bizarre - whose hit was a totally sterile version of Simon and Garfunkle's "Feelin' Groovy." (Of course, their trumpet player, young Teddy Templeman, produced all the classic Van Halen albums...)
If they put on the radio, it was elevator music. As far as I know, they thought that Pat Boone and Perry Como were pretty swell when they were in school.
If I hadn't grown up watching The Monkees, I probably wouldn't have wanted to get an eletric guitar and start a band when I got older. They never encouraged me musically at all. I picked up music on my own and through my older sister.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
My Dad listened to Country and Polka - yes, Polka music
My mom listened primarily to Barry Manillow and other lite fm type garbage. In later years she turned her cougar attentions to Michael Bolton.

My Dad thought Kiss was devil music when my brother got some Kiss trading cards and wanted a Kiss doll when he was 7. When MTV came out he uttered the funniest line of his too-short life, referring to Brian Setzer: "How can you guys watch this shit? This faggot has NO chest hair!"