What games are good to try out a graphics card?

Bobobie

The last game I bought before my GTX 560 died was Fallout 4, is that still demanding enough?

Pickle

The last game I bought before my GTX 560 died was Fallout 4, is that still demanding enough?
I pumped up Shadow of War and did a test. Pretty much all that game is good for.

I barely play anymore so I haven't kept up with GPU specs but it seems like i've read GTA5 can bog down even some of the 10XX cards on the higher settings.

Bobobie

Did you get a new card?
A used GTX 1050 TI off of Ebay. I'm building a Frankenstein gaming machine. I received a riser cable for it today and planned to play some games and see how it does. Just High settings 1080P and I'll be happy.

A used GTX 1050 TI off of Ebay. I'm building a Frankenstein gaming machine. I received a riser cable for it today and planned to play some games and see how it does. Just High settings 1080P and I'll be happy.
Try witcher 3. That game can be pretty taxing with high settings and game of the year edition can be bought for 15 bucks in most GOG or steam sales.

Its also the best game I've ever played, which is a nice bonus.

Bobobie

Try witcher 3. That game can be pretty taxing with high settings and game of the year edition can be bought for 15 bucks in most GOG or steam sales.

I checked on Steam, and thought maybe the next time it was on sale. Checked Amazon and GOG ... GOG has it on sale for 70% off. $14.99. Snatched it right up. I was playing Fallout and Steam or Nvidia were using the resolution settings for the old 460. 1260x720. It didn't even do graphics check, had to crank up the settings manually. Works great so far.

I checked on Steam, and thought maybe the next time it was on sale. Checked Amazon and GOG ... GOG has it on sale for 70% off. $14.99. Snatched it right up. I was playing Fallout and Steam or Nvidia were using the resolution settings for the old 460. 1260x720. It didn't even do graphics check, had to crank up the settings manually. Works great so far.
Witcher 3 has always worked great for me but I've heard people have issues. 1080P with a 1050Ti should be very do able.

Also, you got it from GOG so 100% of the profit goes to CDProjekt instead of 70%. Good job!

Might also be a good time to play Witcher 2 or 1 if you never tried them. I love both games but witcher 1 can be an acquired taste for some people.

Bobobie

I think I owned or pirated the original Witcher. I think the problem people had with it was they didn't understand the lore. Eastern European stuff didn't make into Grimm Fairy Tales.

I think I owned or pirated the original Witcher. I think the problem people had with it was they didn't understand the lore. Eastern European stuff didn't make into Grimm Fairy Tales.
Most people say they didn't like the click based combat where you had to build a sort of rhythm with your sword play. I never minded it.

Here's some more recc's.

RPG:
Divinity Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2
Darkest Dungeon
Dues Ex
Moonlighter
Pillars of Eternity
Kenshi

Survival:
The Long Dark
This War of Mine

X-Com games:
X-Com 1
X-Com 2 War of the Chosen

Strat:
Frostpunk

Farming Sim:
Stardew Valley

Bobobie

Witcher III is 32gb!!! I've been downloading for Two hours and only have 16gb. I should have used the NIC instead of WIFI.

Witcher III is 32gb!!! I've been downloading for Two hours and only have 16gb. I should have used the NIC instead of WIFI.
Doom is 60GB and Metro Exodus was 52G or 56GB. The future is large downloads!

Bobobie

I'm playing the Witcher on 1080P on Ultra Settings and it looks amazing. I noticed a few skips here and there, but nothing too unsettling. I could probably play at this setting but I'm going to bump it down to high settings. I can't believe I'd forgotten basic Keyboard stuff, like crouch, E for action, and shit.

Bobobie

@Bobobie Hows the newish/old graphics card working out for ya these days?
It was hard getting back into gaming. I was mostly mucking around with the hardware, finally finished the cable management and closed it up. Then I hooked up Steam-Link with a Raspberry PI. I played a few hours of the Witcher, did some odd quests in Fallout 4. Did the Supernatural Sam and Dean Companion Quest in Fallout NV. Played some Minecraft Windows 10 Version, Java Version ran real slow on Steam Link for some reason. Played some Shadowrun, but that would probably run on a Pentium 3 with a Voodoo 4 card. I'm waiting for a Steam Spring Sale.

DiggerNick

Donator
I'm still rocking my GTX 970 and having a good ol' time with new games on high settings. I also have a pretty powerful processor and plenty of RAM, so that may help.

I have no need for 4k gaming at this point. Having 1080p at 60fps is my sweet spot.

Bobobie

I'm still rocking my GTX 970 and having a good ol' time with new games on high settings. I also have a pretty powerful processor and plenty of RAM, so that may help.

I have no need for 4k gaming at this point. Having 1080p at 60fps is my sweet spot.
A 970 is a bit more powerful than a 1050 TI. I was pricing used ones on Ebay and the power requirements was more than my 400w PSU could handle.

DiggerNick

Donator
A 970 is a bit more powerful than a 1050 TI. I was pricing used ones on Ebay and the power requirements was more than my 400w PSU could handle.
I think I have a 750w power supply. I was told I could run anything off it.

DiggerNick

Donator

When I bought my GTX 970 that was the game I got free with it.

And I have to say, that card is a fucking workhorse. I'm still getting great results from it three years later. Mind you, that's with an updated processor (i7 6700 @ 3.4ghz) and 16gig of RAM.

If you want high results at 1080p I suggest you try and get one of these cards second-hand.

DiggerNick

Donator
Doom is 60GB and Metro Exodus was 52G or 56GB. The future is large downloads!
That's why discs are dying. Even the much-vaunted blu-ray capacity can't keep up with the expanding size of games.

I remember during the HD-DVD/blu-ray wars the Blu-Ray side was spouting horseshit like "You can fit all three LORD OF THE RINGS movies on ONE DISC!!"

Ultimately, the only reason the studios decided to side with blu-ray is that it was region locked, where HD-DVD (despite being much cheaper to produce initially) was not.

I wish Kingdom Come didnt have so many issues. Would love to give that a go. Debating on Witcher 3.
Was never an RPG person, though it seems a little more like a mix of action and RPG, no? The visuals look amazing. Got Metro Exodus from the RTX card which is cool but so many cutscenes. You get moving along, then a friggin 5 minute speech