OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

What have you done yourself to save money, and regret it later??

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by Johnnyboy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Registered User

Bought a new house recently, and the backyard was destroyed by huge bike ramps (former owner is a Pro BMX Rider). In deciding to fix it by having 24 Yards of top soil delivered. I wanted to save $400 and spread it myself. I'm a third of the way done, using only a shovel, rake, and a wheelbarrow. Total of about 8 hours of back breaking work so far. I have justified it by saying that I want to get in better shape, and I don't work out. So this will be my workout.

Fortunately, the trucks that delivered the soil were able to dump it at the place it needs to be spread. So that a good thing right?

What types of things have you done yourself, and regretted not hiring someone to do?

John

2. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Roofing.

Holy crap is that a shit job. I musta carried a metric shittonne of asphalt shingles up a ladder on my shoulder. Tortured my knees, wrecked my back, destroyed my wrist because I was too cheap to rent a nail gun, and I pounded the nails by hand... and I risked plummeting two stories to my death.

All to save a coupla hundred bucks. Never again. Roofing is a job for swarthy Mexicalis and dumb-as-a-stump white guys.

Hudson and Johnnyboy like this.
  3. Mommadeez4u

Mommadeez4u Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling

vinyl siding. it looks like shit, we should have gone with traditional lapped wood siding

4. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Registered User

With buying higher quality products. I have traditionally always opted for the cheapest (or close to). I am slowly changing my mindset on that though. I quickly learned that you get what you pay for (most of the time).

I am going through that decision now with buying a riding mower... And I feel I may make the wrong choice.
    Should I spend $1500 on a lawn tractor, or $3000 that on a zero-turn. My gut says zero-turn, but I hate to spend double the amount of money. (I have a little over an acre to cut).

John

5. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Can a zero turn also handle a mini snow plow or snow thrower?

Mommadeez4u likes this.
  6. Mommadeez4u

Mommadeez4u Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling

this

7. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Tearing up vinyl tile that was put down with some glue that could have withstood hurricane force winds. The guy from Home Depot who spec'd and gave the quote for the job mentioned something about the loose tiles needing to be removed and that message was relayed to me as all of them have to be removed. I bought something like this:
    [​IMG]
    but when it didnt find space between the tile and subfloor it just smoothed off the edges and that was that. Spent a couple days with a hammer and a chisel in a dark stairway chipping away that shit bit by bit. When the installers came they said only the loose ones needed to go and they glued down carpet and probably laughed at me for doing such a tedious, pointless job.

8. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Countless things. Most notably rebuilding the motor on my 73 mgb and not paying to have any if the machine work done and moving my old oil tank instead of just buying a new one

9. Georgie

Georgie Registered User

Had to pull up some flooring at a restaurant that had that same super hard glue. Even with a mini jackhammer it was probably the worst job I have ever done.

10. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

I ripped out kitchen cabinets and instead of taking it the tile floors insisted that we keep it and just install new cabinets. After all was said and done In killing myself over the fact that the tiles had to come out because they started cracking. I had to rip the time out around the cabinets and saw around the parts under them. Fucking nightmare.

11. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Hustler Raptor zero turn mower. 52" cut, 23 HP Kawasaki engine, solid construction, $3,000. I will never own a lawn tractor again after cutting the lawn with a zero turn. You'll mow in half the time with a zero turn mower.

And....painting. I fucking hate painting but I can't break down and hire a professional painter. Too damn expensive.

Roofing is another thing that sucks - especially tearing off old shingles. Roofing is far more work than reward. Hire professionals.

12. THE FEZ MAN

Tree work. Fuck that if its twice my height I pay someone. When I was a young scamp I had delusions of being self employed I took a side job doing tree work I almost got killed everyday for the few months I did it. The last straw was pulling a tree away from a house while one of the other yahoos cut it he thought it was funny watching me and the other guy run like retards. We quit on the spot. The great part about that was they were using my truck. I still don't know how they got home that day

13. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

My brain hurts.

Pigdango and flyerfan116 like this.
  14. THE FEZ MAN

Lol mine too. I just chalked it up to auto correct

15. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

I hate rewrites.

16. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

A $15 whore is more expensive than $200 at the titty bar and beating yourself raw.

17. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

Hotdogs. The flavor is right but I can't get the meat emulsified sufficiently with the grinders I possess. They have a grainy texture. Oh sure, any other sausage turns out great, but hotdogs have that meat ground to a paste and I fail at trying to do that.

18. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

You aren't adding enough food dye and chicken beak squeezins.

19. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

I've watched my father African-engineer things for over 30 years. It taught me what not to do. Once I had my own house, I started doing some stuff on my own within reason - the rest I call someone. I hired painters at my new place here in FL because it would take me forever to paint over 3100 square feet and it would end up looking like shit because the walls had to be completely retextured, etc. I painted two rooms that were just simple repaints and put down new vinyl flooring. We're getting new hardwood in the living room and dining room. I've never done it before, don't care to learn, and want it done right. So, I'm paying to have it done.

Unlike most people in my neighborhood, I mow my lawn myself. It takes me a half-hour to do the front lawn, and a half-hour to do the sides and rear lawn the next day. Most times I split it up over two days so I can bang it out at 7AM before it gets hot and then go to work. If we're having cool weather I'll do it all in one shot. Then I break out the trimmer and leafblower to finish it all up.

I also take care of my pool myself. My neighbors pay a landscaper and a pool service. I spend maybe 3-4 hours a week max taking care of both things myself for much less money. My pool and lawn are both nicer.

20. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

I'm fairly competent at home improvement. Growing up, my house was a construction zone for the first 20 years of my life. Some rooms were redone three times in the 15 years my dad owned his last Kansas house. I honestly have never known anything different. My tale isn't from just being cheap, it also was caused by inattentiveness, and just trying to do too much by myself. I never have any fucking help doing anything. I've done virtually everything to this house by myself. I live in a suburb of Kansas City. Nobody I know can be bothered to drive 15 miles.

When I bought my house, I put in a new shower surround to replace the old one that was all cracked to shit. Several years later, it was time to do it again. This time, I tried to do it myself, using the cheapest surround I could find and didn't use the correct adhesive. I also didn't put up the correct underlayment to make the walls lie completely flat. It went in crooked and I didn't notice. Since I just shot liquid nails out of a caulk gun, rather than using a notched trowel, you could see the adhesive lines through the plastic. You can also see every imperfection underneath it too. It looks like hammered shit. In one corner it was easily 3/4 of an inch off, so I filled it with clear caulk.

It looked so fucking bad, I didn't even bother to put the trim back up, and it's piled behind the bathroom door. Been that way for at least 3 years now.

21. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Hardwood flooring is actually not hard to do.

I've taught myself to do tile, hardwood floors, carpeting
    and most plumbing needs.

The internet is full of good info. I do almost everything myself.

22. THE FEZ MAN

one of the unique things about being a mechanic is that we have to do all the things that are in houses except the stuff we work on moves

23. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

You shingle cars with shitters and linoleum floors?

steve500 likes this.
  24. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

Attempting to rebuild my motorcycle myself. I eventually gave up & shipped my carbs out for professional rebuild. The rest I did myself, and everything does work, much to my relief. However, it's a miserable experience trying to rebuild those fucking carbs.

I do have to admit though, it is satisfying knowing that the things I did fix on my bike, I did myself. Took about 10 times longer than it would have taken a professional mechanic to do, but everything that works right, works because I took the time. I earned the right to call that bike mine. So I guess it's not really so stupid.

25. THE FEZ MAN

Ever heard of an Rv ?