What if it happened on CBS

STARTSOMETHING

I wanna b, like ronnie b!
Jul 30, 2005
Harrisburg PA
I got to thinking and was wondering. What would have happened if homeless Charlie, was on CBS and said close to what he said on xm. Also how would have CBS handled it?

I'm also wonder how we (the pests) would have handled CBS. If they were fired. "whaa"

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
I got to thinking and was wondering. What would have happened if homeless Charlie, was on CBS and said close to what he said on xm. Also how would have CBS handled it?

I'm also wonder how we (the pests) would have handled CBS. If they were fired. "whaa"
My guess is that it would have been dumped out before it hit the airwaves. And - just like in 2002, there would have been nothing we could have done to bring them back to FM.

TitanicSlide

is it too soon?
Jun 20, 2004
Long Island, NY
I believe we could have made much more of a stink than in 2002, but we would still be largely ignored, unlike Allllllllllll Sharpton.

STARTSOMETHING

I wanna b, like ronnie b!
Jul 30, 2005
Harrisburg PA
My guess is that it would have been dumped out before it hit the airwaves. And - just like in 2002, there would have been nothing we could have done to bring them back to FM.
Thats kinda of sorta my point. On fm we would have been fucked. But, as opie said if it wasn't for us they would have been fired. So even though xm sucks ass I think we have a control on the company. Unlike fm.

Finger In Sam

Smells Like Butterscotch
Feb 21, 2007
My guess is that it would have been dumped out before it hit the airwaves.
on the FM side alot would get dumped, but all that gets dumped still goes out over XM..would they get fucked from both ends if it aired on XM, but dumped on FM??

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
May 23, 2005
the big difference is that XM is a pay service and FM is the public airwaves you don't have to pay for to listen to. if it happened on FM, there would be little we could do about it because the asswipes would have came out of the woodwork and bitch about decency on the public airwaves and protecting impressionable young minds who might be listening. but with XM, it's different. it's a pay service. if you're paying to listen, then you must know what you're listening to and are therefore willfully accepting whatever content you're getting.

and since we were able to show our dissatisfaction with O&A's suspension by unsubscribing, we were able to show XM that they weren't going to pay money to keep listening if they just throw away valued content and find some new jocks to take their place just because people who don't pay for XM and therefore don't listen to XM don't like what's on XM. with FM, so many jocks are indistinct and easy to replace, so it's easy to dump one show, find another talent to take that show's place, and few people would notice or even care. they could even get a different show, change formats, and appeal to a different demographic. the large pool of listeners on FM allows for that. with XM, that pool of listeners isn't as huge and varied, so listenership is more valued on XM - and satellite in general - than it is on terrestrial radio.

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy
May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
This question is kind of weird. O&A were not suspended for the comments made by Charlie. People tend to forget that.
Quoted for Truth!

With the delay the way it is on CBS, there is no way that would have gotten thru, especially if AAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL is on the button!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Zag, I disagree. They wouldn't have dumped out if he didn't swear or wasn't too graphic. I honestly don't think O&A thought there was anything wrong with the content of what he was saying, salty language aside.

Assuming what made the airwaves was within FCC rules, I think the situation would have played out the exact same way. CBS would have kept them on, XM would have still suspended them for 30 days. CBS doesn't care if a politician gets offended, while XM does for obvious reasons.

Jun 16, 2005
Woodbury, N.J.
What if, what if posts stopped showing up on wackbag, would 40% of the user base know what to do with themselves on here?

AnalLeakage

Ruining Ant's sheets
Oct 22, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
Zag, I disagree. They wouldn't have dumped out if he didn't swear or wasn't too graphic. I honestly don't think O&A thought there was anything wrong with the content of what he was saying, salty language aside.

Assuming what made the airwaves was within FCC rules, I think the situation would have played out the exact same way. CBS would have kept them on, XM would have still suspended them for 30 days. CBS doesn't care if a politician gets offended, while XM does for obvious reasons.

Firings the last 2 months for non-profanity political reasons:

CBS - 2 JV and Elvis, Imus and his entire staff
XM - 0

PartyRock24

Lingering Longer since summer of '06
May 23, 2007
Washington DC
I think that they would of probably of gotten fired from CBS just Like Imus and JV and Elivs did. They would of only been broadcasted on XM

Feb 4, 2005
Deer Park
with FM, so many jocks are indistinct and easy to replace, so it's easy to dump one show, find another talent to take that show's place, and few people would notice or even care. they could even get a different show, change formats, and appeal to a different demographic. the large pool of listeners on FM allows for that.

sure worked for WNEW, or whatever the fuck it is now.

TimHorton

Double Double
Feb 15, 2006
On the Trent
A big rock will fall from the sky and Bruce Willis will go crazy and save us....or not....

topher520

learnings for queers
Jul 5, 2006
Boston
Jimmy would say "Charlie...You are out of line Mister" and the bit would have ended.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
This question is kind of weird. O&A were not suspended for the comments made by Charlie. People tend to forget that.
We really don't know what the deal was.
It's hard to believe it was the charlie comments, they were XM mainstream.

As far as insubordination, 30 days is shooting the company in the foot. Anyone knows that. Suspend for a day or two if you want to prove your point there.

It looks like there was some major inside shit going on.
But we all figured that from the start. Merger stuff and big money people who have nothing to do with content on a regular basis accidentally got paid attention to.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I was hoping the two people in this thread who seem to be saying "O&A were not suspended for the comments made by Charlie.", were just being sarcastic. But after reading their posts again it really doesn't look that way.

Jesus what happened? You do realize you're just repeating XM corporate propaganda that's about as thin as the "censorship is a government issue" line. Unless your point is it was all about the merger. But in that case, why should we care? Why should we give a shit about what a bunch of suits do to (in the parlance of our times) cut this country up a little finer amongst themselves. All that should matter is what brought on the suspension, which in my humble opinion had jack shit to do with insubordination. Or the merger. To pretend it's anything other than a Homeless Charlie issue is letting them run the ball in their court.

Everything comes down to money. I don't care what else is there, money is the bottom line. Which is why I don't want people to lose focus here. In the end it's not about free speech, or censorship or radio grudges. Money is the reason. And if XM financially has figured out behind the scenes that they really need this merger or they go under, and someone is fucking with it, what do you think will happen to them?

H

Hog of Plenty

Wouldn't have happened on FM. AAAAALL! would have dumped out and we would have never heard anything.

May 15, 2007

CBS is not involved in a merger so it would have been a different situation.

If it did not get dumped and if some special interest group raised a bunch of shit, they would have been fired and we XM-ers would get back what we used to pay for

TankRizzo

Dec 6, 2004
We all would have expected that kind of reaction out of CBS, not from XM, which is why it was such a surprise. There's no excuse for XM acting the way they did.