What is a good Tablet

domelogic

I am looking to purchase a tablet and want some feedback as to what you baggers think is best. I am looking at an Apple Ipad Air or a Samsung Galaxy Tab(could be Pro or S but do not know the difference at this point). Obviously the operating systems are different. I am looking to surf the web and watch shows for the most part.

Any other options are welcomed and if you own any of these what you think of them. My tablet I have now is a really old Ipad(probably 6 years old at least)

Bobobie

Amazon Fire Tablets are cheap for the hardware you get. You just have to manually install the Playstore, which is pretty simple. You probably have a lot invested in I-Tunes.

Stig

Fucking your mother.
I love the galaxy tablets, and file management is much easier than on Apple stuff.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
Amazon Fire Tablets are cheap for the hardware you get. You just have to manually install the Playstore, which is pretty simple. You probably have a lot invested in I-Tunes.
I have a Fire HD from 2013. I've been looking for years in rooting or something and have come up zilch.

Bobobie

I have a Fire HD from 2013. I've been looking for years in rooting or something and have come up zilch.
Did you install the Playstore? Once you do that it's a real Android Tablet. No root needed.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
I have an iPad Pro and a new-ish Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4. I wind up using the iPad way more just out of familiarity. The screen on the Samsung is fucking phenomenal, though. I can't wait for that OLED technology to be reasonably priced in big TVs.

ruckstande

Donator
Did you install the Playstore? Once you do that it's a real Android Tablet. No root needed.
I don't believe it was just a matter of sideloading it. I thought there was some trickery required in getting it on there that most people said didn't work.

Bobobie

I don't believe it was just a matter of sideloading it. I thought there was some trickery required in getting it on there that most people said didn't work.
Yeah, this is a 5th Generation. You just have to run four programs. I'm pretty sure they have rooted and installed custom roms on every generation Kindle Fire. Did you try forum.xda-developers.com? Thats "The" place for Android.

domelogic

I love the galaxy tablets, and file management is much easier than on Apple stuff.

That is one of my concerns with any apple product. Just put a fucking usb port on there. Also I do like the compatibility for Itune, pics, etc with apple though. If I do the air 2 it would be the 64gb.

The screen on the Samsung is fucking phenomenal, though.
How does that compare to the ipad? The reviews say there is not much difference but there is a difference.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
How does that compare to the ipad? The reviews say there is not much difference but there is a difference.
Reviews are lying. The difference is sick. Black is pure black. The pixels don't have a backlight. If you pull up a full screen black image on the iPad, there's no mistaking that the tablet is actually on. Do the same on the Samsung and you will think it's off. Movies look great. You need to see it in person. No screenshot or video will do it justice. And the colors really pop. Games are gorgeous. OLED is probably some technology Apple already has ready, but they want to save it as an excuse to upgrade whatever the fuck model you have now.

Also, in my case, even though the Samsung screen is so much smaller, the resolution is higher than the iPad 3/4/Air - almost 100 pixels per inch more dense. I can't use my Kindle Fire HD immediately afterwards because it makes that screen look embarrassingly bad. The screen that shows all the books and magazines in my library via thumbnails is so crystal-clear if my vision was better I swear I could read all the text on the covers.

ruckstande

Donator

Stig

Fucking your mother.
That is one of my concerns with any apple product. Just put a fucking usb port on there. Also I do like the compatibility for Itune, pics, etc with apple though. If I do the air 2 it would be the 64gb.
Being able to use SD cards is nice too.

domelogic

Reviews are lying. The difference is sick. Black is pure black. The pixels don't have a backlight. If you pull up a full screen black image on the iPad, there's no mistaking that the tablet is actually on. Do the same on the Samsung and you will think it's off. Movies look great. You need to see it in person. No screenshot or video will do it justice. And the colors really pop. Games are gorgeous. OLED is probably some technology Apple already has ready, but they want to save it as an excuse to upgrade whatever the fuck model you have now.

Also, in my case, even though the Samsung screen is so much smaller, the resolution is higher than the iPad 3/4/Air - almost 100 pixels per inch more dense. I can't use my Kindle Fire HD immediately afterwards because it makes that screen look embarrassingly bad. The screen that shows all the books and magazines in my library via thumbnails is so crystal-clear if my vision was better I swear I could read all the text on the covers.

Thanks for this. I have been looking on the Samsung website to see what the difference is between the A and S. I think you have an S model. The site sucks when comparing the tablets because they do not give you the info side by side. Let me know what type of model you have because if it is the A, then it is really cheap and I might get that and wait to see how much better the Ipad Air 3 is when it comes out in a few months.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Thanks for this. I have been looking on the Samsung website to see what the difference is between the A and S. I think you have an S model. The site sucks when comparing the tablets because they do not give you the info side by side. Let me know what type of model you have because if it is the A, then it is really cheap and I might get that and wait to see how much better the Ipad Air 3 is when it comes out in a few months.
It's the S.

http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/galaxy-tab-s/SM-T700NTSAMID

Powerful enough to play straight Blu-ray rips (not 1080p/720p downloads) via Plex without transcoding.

domelogic

I have an iPad Pro and a new-ish Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4. I wind up using the iPad way more just out of familiarity. The screen on the Samsung is fucking phenomenal, though. I can't wait for that OLED technology to be reasonably priced in big TVs.
I just bought an iPad Pro and a 10.1 galaxy tab at auction. The iPad Pro is phenomenal. Can't wait to make some art on this thing. The galaxy tab screen is BY FAR better though. That one will stay in the bathroom for reading and... other use.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
I just bought an iPad Pro and a 10.1 galaxy tab at auction. The iPad Pro is phenomenal. Can't wait to make some art on this thing. The galaxy tab screen is BY FAR better though. That one will stay in the bathroom for reading and... other use.
I love the iPad Pro. It gets the most active use of anything I currently own. I rarely even bother to sit in front of my PCs anymore. Just remote in from Splashtop.

I'm disappointed Apple's not including some kind of OLED screen on the iPad Pro 2. If Samsung would make an AMOLED tablet with the same size screen, I might finally bother to get more comfortable with Android. I still can't get over how much better their screens are than Apple's. I keep checking the rumored iPad Pro 2 specs and it's stuff I don't care about like the Apple Pencil, smaller bezels, better camera, and a True Tone display. I really hope they don't decide to make it thinner. That was the kiss of death for the iPad Air. The iPad 3 and 4 sounded great. Then the narrow ass iPad Air sounded atrocious. And the screen would vibrate your fingertips as you typed on it if you were listening to anything. The Pro is the best sounding tablet I've ever heard. Don't roon it, Apple.

Samsung has had better screens for years. My wife used to have an epic 4g with the best screen I'd ever seen on a phone in 2011.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
I know two, some Jew dropped the third one.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
I love the iPad Pro. It gets the most active use of anything I currently own. I rarely even bother to sit in front of my PCs anymore. Just remote in from Splashtop.

I'm disappointed Apple's not including some kind of OLED screen on the iPad Pro 2. If Samsung would make an AMOLED tablet with the same size screen, I might finally bother to get more comfortable with Android. I still can't get over how much better their screens are than Apple's. I keep checking the rumored iPad Pro 2 specs and it's stuff I don't care about like the Apple Pencil, smaller bezels, better camera, and a True Tone display. I really hope they don't decide to make it thinner. That was the kiss of death for the iPad Air. The iPad 3 and 4 sounded great. Then the narrow ass iPad Air sounded atrocious. And the screen would vibrate your fingertips as you typed on it if you were listening to anything. The Pro is the best sounding tablet I've ever heard. Don't roon it, Apple.
I have the pro. It's simply awesome.