What kind of connector is this?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I am doing an interior lighting upgrade (adding lights to my cupholders) so I can stop fumbling around in the dark. I've spilled bottled water on myself a few times already.

The higher trim level comes standard with lighted cupholders, so I ordered all of the parts to retrofit. Everything is there, it's basically just snaps in place. I already have it in the car, took all of two minutes.

I just have to do the wiring. I tried finding the factory wiring harness but couldn't come up with anything. The only thing they sell is the wiring for 12V power ports (cig lighter plugs). On the website where I found this mod, they just cut/spliced the console wiring for the gearshift indicator light and soldered wires to the pins inside of the lighting module I don't want to do hack up the factory wiring or dick around with soldering. The wiring for the gearshift indicator light has the same connector. I'd like to make an extension/splice pigtail cable that just plugs in. I figure that once I know what the darn thing is called I should be able to find what I need (both male and female versions of the plug). I found this picture online:

The lighting module is on the left, the connector is on the right. I have the lighting modules but not the white connector that snaps in. That's what I need to identify.

Any ideas?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
In the Southeast Toyota's are brought into some port on the east coast and when upgrades get added to vehicles they use "posi tap" connectors to splice into factory wiring. I found some where they added a lock to my tailgate and tapped into the drivers side kick panel for the lock trigger.

Finding the exact harness you need can be more of a pain than it is worth.

https://www.posi-products.com/

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
In the Southeast Toyota's are brought into some port on the east coast and when upgrades get added to vehicles they use "posi tap" connectors to splice into factory wiring. I found some where they added a lock to my tailgate and tapped into the drivers side kick panel for the lock trigger.

Finding the exact harness you need can be more of a pain than it is worth.

https://www.posi-products.com/
Thanks. I still need the white plug to plug into the lighting module though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Yeah, that's what my car has for the gearshift indicator light.
Look very carefully at the gray plug (our old eyes need magnifying glasses) look for a name on the plug, it is most likely a “denso” 2 pin non weather pack

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
You can probably go to the dealer and buy that plug, you’re going to pay dearly for it but it will come as a kit that you have to assemble, there is another company that makes them for the manufacturer I can’t remember the name I thought it was nikko but I’m not sure that is correct, because my Google fu is somewhat lacking, I know Phillips also makes automotive connections.
there will be a part number on both pieces (magnifying glass time) I’ve bought plugs like that before

It’s Delphi that’s the other connector company

Last edited:

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
You can probably go to the dealer and buy that plug, you’re going to pay dearly for it but it will come as a kit that you have to assemble, there is another company that makes them for the manufacturer I can’t remember the name I thought it was nikko but I’m not sure that is correct, because my Google fu is somewhat lacking, I know Phillips also makes automotive connections.
there will be a part number on both pieces (magnifying glass time) I’ve bought plugs like that before

It’s Delphi that’s the other connector company
I just took a few more pictures.
connector1.jpg connector2.jpg

Google didn't get me anywhere with that PBT C3 identification.

Attachments

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
What type of car?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I’m not 100% sure that’s the right part number, I would still probably go to the dealer
Nearest Toyota dealer (where I get it serviced) is 50 minutes away. I'm on-call for work and with the holiday and shit I won't have time to make a trip there. It's a $5 part. I ordered it from a Toyota dealer with an online parts department. I can return it if it's not right. I'll be able to tell without opening the package.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Nearest Toyota dealer (where I get it serviced) is 50 minutes away. I'm on-call for work and with the holiday and shit I won't have time to make a trip there. It's a $5 part. I ordered it from a Toyota dealer with an online parts department. I can return it if it's not right. I'll be able to tell without opening the package.
Most plugs are kind of system specific, the part number i picked was used for several of the same types of things, in this case lighting

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Part of my job used to be dealing with wire harnesses for GM electrical systems. If Toyota is anything like GM, these connectors can change even within model years. I had trouble sourcing all these stupid connectors and that was from within the same company, so I imagine it would a huge nightmare finding them as a customer. I had boxes and boxes of connectors and pins for connectors and dozens of special crimpers for these stupid connectors. I didn't have the option to just splice, it was against testing procedures. My advice is; It's just two conductors, just splice into the line and heatshrink.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Part of my job used to be dealing with wire harnesses for GM electrical systems. If Toyota is anything like GM, these connectors can change even within model years. I had trouble sourcing all these stupid connectors and that was from within the same company, so I imagine it would a huge nightmare finding them as a customer. I had boxes and boxes of connectors and pins for connectors and dozens of special crimpers for these stupid connectors. I didn't have the option to just splice, it was against testing procedures. My advice is; It's just two conductors, just splice into the line and heatshrink.
I have a compnnector set that I bought off the inter webs, for a job, I could have bought 3 different sets of them and still wouldn’t have had the ones I needed all the time, the manufacturers are a pain in the ass with that shit