What kind of grill do you use?

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound

got my pizza oven from my mom. made a few so, so, pizzas tonight, my dough isn't quite right yet, then again I've only made it a few times. i like a super thin crust which is actually quite difficult to get right. I've got a week to master it, since my wife decided to invite people over for labor day and told them we are making pizzas
Fancy.

Johnnyboy

a little off topic, but I was wondering how everyone here winterizes their grills? Do you put in in a shed/garage? or just cover it with your average grill cover?

I got a Genesis in the beginning of the year, and want to keep it in good shape. Previously I only had cheapo grills that I didn't care about.

Haeder

South Dakota
a little off topic, but I was wondering how everyone here winterizes their grills? Do you put in in a shed/garage? or just cover it with your average grill cover?

I got a Genesis in the beginning of the year, and want to keep it in good shape. Previously I only had cheapo grills that I didn't care about.
Mine lives in the garage year round. If it's windy, I cook in the garage. If it's fucking freezing, I cook in the garage. It's a 15 year old Kenmore with cast iron grates that are seasoned to perfection and cast iron burners that flake rust something awful. The body of the grill is stainless steel and cleaned up real nice the two times that it has been scrubbed properly in 15 years.

Keep it indoors. Don't waste money on a cover because it'll just blow off or get destroyed by the elements if you leave it outdoors.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?

We use ours 12 months. It gets hard to find charcoal in the winter but I am about to spring for a pellet grill. Ours is under a shed roof for protection.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
im an asshole, i just leave mine out, but, i use it several times a week year round, the lynx gets so fucking hot that it will work even below zero. its not under cover so i will just use an umbrella, the only issue i have had is if the battery back up for the sparker gets wet it will short out and run till i hear it.

Winter? What is winter?

THE FEZ MAN

I'm starting to think about how I'm going to store my stuff for the winter, i did not give enough thought too it when i was putting stuff together this summer.

THE FEZ MAN

I got this a couple of years ago and have not used Gas since.
my mom has a "big green egg" i hate to say it but I'm not a fan of it for "quickie" grilling duties, I've been using my hibachi and man grates for little stuff just because it uses much less charcoal, I've been digging around looking for a new grill "on sale" and have not found one worth a damn, depot had the kamoto grill on sale for around 200$ i was going to buy it just because my moms "egg" was 800$

my mom has a "big green egg" i hate to say it but I'm not a fan of it for "quickie" grilling duties, I've been using my hibachi and man grates for little stuff just because it uses much less charcoal, I've been digging around looking for a new grill "on sale" and have not found one worth a damn, depot had the kamoto grill on sale for around 200$ i was going to buy it just because my moms "egg" was 800$
A few friends have them and they are excellent smokers and really nice if you're grilling all day. However, I only do that about once or twice a year and I grill a few steaks, burgers, brats, whatever probably 50 times a year. So it just isn't worth the cost to me.

NotSoFast

In the kamado's you use less charcoal over time than with regular grills. Load it up, light it, cook for however long it takes, shut the lid and vents and the coals get snuffed out to be reused next time. If doing something quick like burgers or steaks, I get about 20 or so used out of a 20 pound bag of lump charcoal.

Haeder

South Dakota
Got a new grill today. After 15 years my Kenmore is done for so it is being replaced with a 4 burner Char Broil infrared with a side burner/griddle. Spent a little time seasoning it this evening.

It is a decent mid-level grill with all.of the options i was looking for in a new grill. Lighter steel frame than a Weber but the infrared cooking and side griddle piqued my interest. It will be kept in the garage so exposure to the elements isn't going to be a problem that will cause premature wear. $400 price tag was nice too.

I should have checked with one of the local Hutterite Colonies to see if they could have built one for me. They have stainless steel fabrication shops that are amazing. A couple hundred bucks, a 1.75 of whiskey and a case of cold Bush Light is usually enough to get at least a thousand dollars worth of work done if you talk to the right Hoot.

If anybody is interested, the Lodge Sportsman grill is on markdown at Walmart. Anywhere from $64-$45. All cast iron made in USA. I just picked one up. I have a big grill, but if it is just me, or me and my girl I don't need the capacity. I think I am gonna like this lil guy. Bonus, it will fit inside my big grill for storage.

NotSoFast

If anybody is interested, the Lodge Sportsman grill is on markdown at Walmart. Anywhere from $64-$45. All cast iron made in USA. I just picked one up. I have a big grill, but if it is just me, or me and my girl I don't need the capacity. I think I am gonna like this lil guy. Bonus, it will fit inside my big grill for storage.
I have one of those. It gets hot as fuck. Sears a steak in no time.

THE FEZ MAN

I've got the same one, it gets nice and hot but I need to use a make shift lid to cook thick cuts of meat. I really like it for skewer cooking

THE FEZ MAN

I have seen people use an upside down cast iron skillet for a cover.
I use a half chafing tray from Costco, I bought a bunch of them along with the full trays, I just marinate/salt pepper them in those trays throw the steaks or what ever on then flip th pan on as a lid, I have several pairs of welding gloves I use as hot mitts and the heat cleans the tray when I'm done I just put the food right back in