What setting do you play a new game on?

Which difficulty setting do you play on?

• I need a challenge, give me the highest setting.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I play on a medium setting.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I leave it on whatever it comes out of the box on.

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • I'm a pussy, I turn it all the way down.

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Well, which is it?

I leave it on whatever it's set for shooters/strategy games, but I turn it usually to one below the highest in sports games, since they usually seem to have 4 settings. If there are only 3 settings for a sports game though, I'll do the highest.

After I get used to the game though, I'll turn the level up even more. There are rare exceptions in shooters though, where I just get too frustrated taking too long at certain parts so I won't end up at the highest setting.

So how about you?

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Depends on the game, really.

Tiger Woods I always have set pretty high, because I know how to play the real game and Tiger Woods is a simulation of sorts so I know what to do with certain shots.

RTS games I set it low, because I stink at RTS, although I do think it's fun. I'm way too much into getting a good economy before building an army. I have no idea how people in these RTS games can build up a huge force within 5 minutes of the game starting.

FPS I usually have at medium setting, unless the enemies in the game are just ridiculously strong.

RPG's, usually medium or hard setting, depending on the game. Oblivion I have set slightly below medium.

BelatedAbortion

Jun 12, 2007
Spaceshuttle Endeaverrrrrrrrr
RTS games I set it low, because I stink at RTS, although I do think it's fun. I'm way too much into getting a good economy before building an army. I have no idea how people in these RTS games can build up a huge force within 5 minutes of the game starting.
Hint: 2 Refineries and an extra Crane (At least in C&C3)

99% of the time I play in "Normal" first time around, just to get the hang of the game and the controls, and then I go back for Hard if I liked the game.

Speaking of Oblivion, are you psyched for 2 Worlds?? I've been watching the videos and I'm chomping at the bit.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
With XBOX360's gamers achievement it started getting me to play on hard the first time becuase then you get the Easy through Hard achievement in one shot.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
usually normal or the 2nd hardest difficulty if theres more than 3. if i like the game alot, and has some replay value, then i'll be happy to play it again on the hardest level

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Whatever settings make sense.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
Whatever the game's default is at first but I usually crank it up after I get familiarized with it.

Speaking of Oblivion, are you psyched for 2 Worlds?? I've been watching the videos and I'm chomping at the bit.

I'm all over it. It looks really cool.

SteveSteele

1 dog's goin this way..1 dog's goin that way...
Nov 22, 2004
New Rochelle, NY
Most of the time, I'm the straight out of the box guy. I'll turn up the heat if it's too easy. Forza 2 has been the first game in a long time where I changed the factory settings.

Picklestyle

Jun 21, 2007
Alabama....ick
99% of the time i turn it onto the hardest settings. Latest exception is RE4 Wii edition, cause you have to unlock it first.

Dilly

Jun 30, 2007
I usually go for medium, if I am having trouble with the game, or if I want to learn how to play ill go easy first then medium after I learn how to play. some games after I beat them I will play again on hard.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
medium to hard, depends on the game.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Hard always. It's probably one of the only reasons I play a game. To break the AI, overcome it, etc.

But, some games you need to play from easy up, in order to get the skills necessary to beat it any harder. (Playing through Dead Rising 6 times to get beef enough to get the best ending, and Ninja Gaiden Black, come to mind)

There would've been no fucking way I could've beat Ninja Gaiden on the xb1 without playing easy, then med, then hard, then ultradeathmode-hard.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Mostly I play mid settings at first then go back and play the hard settings.

I like to enjoy the game first with a little bit of challenge, then go back and test my limits. I've beat most of the games I've played on the hardest setting, so I guess my limits are alright. I think I just get more enjoyment out of a couple play throughs of a game.

Non linear gameplay for the win.

notmikeh

don't get any cucks on your wee
Jun 8, 2006
I play on the hardest settings so I won't be as bad when I play online. but sometimes I will turn it down for a good ol' fashioned thrashing.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I play on the hardest settings so I won't be as bad when I play online. but sometimes I will turn it down for a good ol' fashioned thrashing.
I do that too sometimes with sports games. Like in the middle of a season in NHL '07 I'll turn every difficulty related setting all the way down and score 50+ goals, and get 20 or 30 with whichever player I want to have ridiculous stats.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I play on the hardest settings so I won't be as bad when I play online.
I'm the opposite. I usually play online and hone my skills against human opponents before attempting the hardest setting.

BelatedAbortion

Jun 12, 2007
Spaceshuttle Endeaverrrrrrrrr
I'm the opposite. I usually play online and hone my skills against human opponents before attempting the hardest setting.
Humans are definitely way tougher in just about all cases than computer AI. I can't even play the GRAW 2 single player missions anymore because I absolutely wreck shop in multiplayer. Its probably the only multiplayer game I've ever been truly good at. I haven't played in weeks and still get clan invites.

Sparkstalker

Mar 23, 2006
I usually go medium, but recently, I've been ratcheting up to hard...Damn COD2 and achievement points for getting me hooked on "beating" games again...