What the F? Long Island Blood Services Melville Center

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I decided to donate platelets for the first time. If you've never donated, it's usually a two arm process - one to remove the whole blood and another to replace the blood after the platelets have been spun out.

So the tech - a nappy head - tries to put a needle in my left arm and after several sticks, finally succeeds (I had told her the veins on my left arm were deep & often collapsed but she went at it like a crack addict taking his first hit). She then moves to my right arm aaaand I sneeze, which moves the needle already inserted.

Nappy decides I'm a "candidate" for the one arm procedure & moves me to another bed. One arm takes a little longer since you're now pulling and replacing from the same vein.

I'm just about finished with the procedure and I tell the nappy head that my arm hurts. She looks and the arm is swollen - with blood. Apparently, when she put the needle in, she nicked the vein so that as the blood is recirculating back into the vein, it's actually leaking out. Nappy told me that a lot of blood had leaked out and the bruising "probably" was going to spread the length of my arm.

An hour ago, my arm looked like this:

It now looks like this:

It's spread a little bit. There's still a lump right above the bend of my elbow, which nappy said is where the blood all pooled, so as that starts to break up, it's going to get worse.

If I give platelets again, I want a white tech.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Do something nice for a stranger and you get fucked. All the more reason not to.

I bleed for close relatives only and I don't have any of those.

Jan 18, 2006
Phoenix
Happened to me the first time I have plasma. The girl, I think she was a mexican, couldn't find the vein, thought she got it and proceeded to take plasma. When the machine started to put the blood back in that vein, where the needle was started swelling. They had to stop, take it out and start all over with the other arm. I had a bruise for a week. Looked lot like yours.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Happened to me the first time I have plasma. The girl, I think she was a mexican, couldn't find the vein, thought she got it and proceeded to take plasma. When the machine started to put the blood back in that vein, where the needle was started swelling. They had to stop, take it out and start all over with the other arm. I had a bruise for a week. Looked lot like yours.
I'm going to look like my ex beat me up again for a week?? Crap - nobody's going to believe this happened giving blood & are going to think he's resurfaced. :icon_evil

Yeah, she had gotten the left one in but it moved when I sneezed & collapsed the vein. That's when she decided to just use the one arm method. She said she must've nicked the vein & it leaked into the muscle tissue as the blood was being put back in & that's why it was not only swollen but was going to hurt for a few days. I even tried icing the right arm but it didn't help much. :(

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
Qtie is going to be pissed when she sees this...she was a Phlebotomist for North Shore (not Melville) and she was (and still is) damned good at her job. She'd have never left you with your arms all shitty like that

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Qtie is going to be pissed when she sees this...she was a Phlebotomist for North Shore (not Melville) and she was (and still is) damned good at her job. She'd have never left you with your arms all shitty like that
Maybe she should get a job with Long Island Blood Services and teach them how to draw blood. Which North Shore ... there's about 11 of them. Gotta know where to go next time I need blood drawn

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
That's some Jared Leto in Requiem for a Dream type shit right there!!!

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
New Pictures - looks worse when you're staring at it for real..took these about 10 minutes ago to text up to my nephew at college.

Left Arm ... see how it's spreading towards the elbow?

And the right arm - not only has it moved down but it's also oozing towards the elbow. It's hard to see though because of my skin tone. If I were really pale, it's be much more noticeable

poppAwoody

C colon enter
May 23, 2006
LI, New York
I did the same procedure and while my vein was hit properly I had a problem with the free ticket they gave me to a baseball game. It was in the damn mezzanine above the overhang. I mean come on they SELL this blood that you donate. And they charge to take it out otherwise. They make money and I am talking hundreds to sell platelets and or red blood cells. And all they could give me was some Oreos, fake Orange Juice and shitty seats.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Holy shit. I can't donate blood because I'm under weight and have low blood pressure. I always thought about donating platelets, but not now. Do they pay for platelets, and if so, what's the going rate?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I did the same procedure and while my vein was hit properly I had a problem with the free ticket they gave me to a baseball game. It was in the damn mezzanine above the overhang. I mean come on they SELL this blood that you donate. And they charge to take it out otherwise. They make money and I am talking hundreds to sell platelets and or red blood cells. And all they could give me was some Oreos, fake Orange Juice and shitty seats.
HummerTuesdays said:
Holy shit. I can't donate blood because I'm under weight and have low blood pressure. I always thought about donating platelets, but not now. Do they pay for platelets, and if so, what's the going rate?

el o el - I'm getting movie "unrestricted" movie passes

HT, I'd give again regardless of how much they "pay" just because there's a need for my platelets in my blood type. I'm just not going back to the Melville center. Maybe the techs in New Jersey are better are better than the two n***ers who worked me over. I've given gallons of whole blood & have never come away looking like I've been beaten up.

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
Hey mom is it okay if I donate blood even if my blood alcohol level is proof rated?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Hey mom is it okay if I donate blood even if my blood alcohol level is proof rated?
EL O EL ... if you do platelets, you might get lucky enough to get drunk all over again when they pump the blood back into your veins. There's an center in Port Jeff Station at Rt 112 & 347 - give it a shot. I'll even drive out and hold your hand if you're a-skeered of the needles ;)

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
I donate blood and/or platlets usually about 3 times a year, done it for many years, mostly at the Bohemia blood center. Not one have I ever had a problem like that.

Last time I donated blood I filled the bag in literally 3 minutes. I got to listen to 1 song on my ipod and I was done, I'm a good bleeder.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I donate blood and/or platlets usually about 3 times a year, done it for many years, mostly at the Bohemia blood center. Not one have I ever had a problem like that.

Last time I donated blood I filled the bag in literally 3 minutes. I got to listen to 1 song on my ipod and I was done, I'm a good bleeder.
We have a blood drive here at the courthouse every 2 months or so. I'm done within 10 minutes.

One of the guys here donates platelets in Bohemia since he lives out there. He said that he's never had a problem like mine either. Even though it's a hike, should I decide to do this again, maybe I'll take the ride out & do it there.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
The administrative offices for Long Island are here in Westbury. I drove over during lunch and asked to speak with a supervisor. I told the woman that she needed to get someone in Melville who knows how to draw blood.

She looked at my arms and very calmly said 'I'm sorry for your discomfort. I'll definitely speak with them, but you have to understand sometimes these things happen. I don't think you should donate platelets any more'

Duuh, ya think?

She also told me that the machines are equipped with an alarm which is supposed to alert the tech to any swelling that might be occurring. But sometimes the alarms don't work, so they also rely upon the donor to alert them to any discomfort. Get this - apparently I have a "high threshold" for discomfort.

I ended our meeting by telling her that if I was a different kind of person, she'd be speaking to one of the many attorneys who wanted to represent me in a suit against them. She laughed nervously, said she'd speak to them in Melville and wished me a good day.

die

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I also get that shit happens. I've had techs try to put IVs in the veins in my hand, when I know full well it's better in my arm. They argue with me, miss the vein, etc. So they don't always listen to the patient, either.

I would have demanded that the tech be trained again & monitored closely.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I've asked the tech to let me do it. One did a few years ago & she was amazed that I was able to pick one from my arm that she could barley see.

Used to do it with 22 guage needles in cats.