What to do with semi-dead 99' F150

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
(God help me) I need your advice.

My much loved 1999 F-150 (Class III Tow, 5.4 V8, Supercab, 4wd) appears to be at that unfortunate point where it'll take more to repair it than it's worth. I'll explain, then ask you what you would do in order to get the most out of its sale.

It runs like a champ and has brand new heater core, however a month or so ago I put my foot to the floor while trying to brake. Managed to not kill anyone and made it home, saw fluid leahing from behind the driver's side front wheel. It could be anything? Split break line, bad master brake cylinder, or something else? Anyway, I WOULD have it looked into and potentially fixed, however there is something wrong which will keep it from passing its (due soon) emissions inspection, that being a worn out and 'crumbly' (in the words of the garage owner) catalytic converter. Apparently catalytic converters are no longer available for this year except as custom one-offs for some insane amount, plus the installation.

Given its age, it has really low miles (just over 100K) and is pretty solid all around. Looking for advice.

5skin

May 14, 2010
the woods
Junk it. Who wants to bother with a few hundred dollars in repairs.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Get rid of it, those 5.4s are a mother fucker to do tune ups on, exhaust manifolds always leak and are a bitch, head gasket issues and have been known to spit timing chains out of them. I owned one trust me I know haha. My last straw with it was my head gasket took a shit on me and was leaking oil on the exhaust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
(God help me) I need your advice.

My much loved 1999 F-150 (Class III Tow, 5.4 V8, Supercab, 4wd) appears to be at that unfortunate point where it'll take more to repair it than it's worth. I'll explain, then ask you what you would do in order to get the most out of its sale.

It runs like a champ and has brand new heater core, however a month or so ago I put my foot to the floor while trying to brake. Managed to not kill anyone and made it home, saw fluid leahing from behind the driver's side front wheel. It could be anything? Split break line, bad master brake cylinder, or something else? Anyway, I WOULD have it looked into and potentially fixed, however there is something wrong which will keep it from passing its (due soon) emissions inspection, that being a worn out and 'crumbly' (in the words of the garage owner) catalytic converter. Apparently catalytic converters are no longer available for this year except as custom one-offs for some insane amount, plus the installation.

Given its age, it has really low miles (just over 100K) and is pretty solid all around. Looking for advice.
Donate it to Frank. Help a fellow Wackbagger out.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I think you got bad information aftermarket cats are cheep and brake lines fail all the time call another mechanic or, fuck it sell it to your mechanic for 1000$

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I think you got bad information aftermarket cats are cheep and brake lines fail all the time call another mechanic or, fuck it sell it to your mechanic for 1000$
I had a brakeline go out on my 62 Biscayne, the only tool I had was a 4" crescent wrench. I fixed it.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Aftermarket cats for that are available. Just checked my
local supplier. They run about $1200 for all of them.
Parts, labor and repairing the brake lines will probably
cost about $1800 - $2000 depending on how much
of the lines need to be replaced.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Get it fixed
Doesn't sound too bad

Unless you enjoy monthly car payments

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
I'd fix it and keep it. I'm not sure whether or not you've checked prices on new trucks lately but replacing your truck with a new version would likely cost over $50,000.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
We don't have inspections in Kansas, so I can't relate. I know guys drive around with straight pipes. Not cat, no muffler.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
If it was here you could turn it into a Farm vehicle or even tractor aka plow truck... Farm vehicle has farm plates with name of town painted on door and you can only drive like 20 miles ish from the farm... gets inspected like every 2 or 3 years and a lot of shit can slide. Tractor... well farm plates and lives it's life on the farm doing farm shit...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I'd fix it and keep it. I'm not sure whether or not you've checked prices on new trucks lately but replacing your truck with a new version would likely cost over $50,000.
Get it fixed
Doesn't sound too bad

Unless you enjoy monthly car payments
I speced out a brand new GMC on the website, $62k to just “replace” my truck, and honestly it’s not a “replace” because it’s almost impossible to directly “replace” an older truck.

I hate to be this way, considering I spent a good bit of my life arguing for “technological advances to make your life simpler” but, I wish someone still made a “full size” truck with out all the “bells and whistles” I’m Okay with fuel injection , a basic OBDII system is fine even coil over plug, and an “electric transmission” but, that ECU needs to be completely separate, airbags.. that’s all fine, but the crazy electronic climate control, leather seats all the shit that doesn’t really belong on a “truck” I like to think that my old dodge Dakota circa 1992 was about as much “electronics” that any “truck” needs, yes, I know I could “build” what I want, but the rust...... is just too much, I haven’t looked into a new dodge I just got disgusted with the GMC and decided that I’m going to try and keep gluing my Dakota back together, this week it’s a heated O2 sensor, the cold finally killed it
https://www.arclightfab.com/

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Watching a bunch of mid 70's 1/2 ton Chevy trucks go on the block at Barrett Jackson last couple days - for 15K-20K people are getting pristine classics with popular upgrades (EFI, discs) and look bad ass. It'd be worth it to me vs. 50K for a new one. (At least once/if they ever take my company truck away...)