What will happen to Steve Dahl if the Format changes at WCKG ?

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/583284,CST-FIN-feder02.article

With ratings in the dumps, all signs point to a format change at WCKG

October 2, 2007
BY ROBERT FEDER Sun-Times Columnist
If you ask insiders at WCKG-FM (105.9) about changes to the station's format, they'll tell you it's no longer a question of "if" but "when."

Closed-door meetings at the CBS Radio talk station this week combined with format flips at a number of other former "Free FM" outlets in the company strongly point to a makeover of WCKG sooner rather than later.

Although there's more than enough blame to go around, the bottom line is that WCKG never recovered from the loss of Howard Stern's syndicated morning show at the end of 2005.

At this point, the two biggest questions are what the station would become and where Steve Dahl, who's under a long-term contract as afternoon host, would be deployed.

According to the latest figures from Arbitron, WCKG is tied for 28th place in the market with a 1.2 percent audience share.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
I've been a fan of O&A for a couple of years now(since they came to XM). I never had a chance to listen to Hoo Hoo before. Was he that big of a radio show that the entire stations ratings would fall off? I'd like to see what his ratings were before he left. I just can't believe that since he left CBS that they've had nothing but problems with their ratings.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I've been a fan of O&A for a couple of years now(since they came to XM). I never had a chance to listen to Hoo Hoo before. Was he that big of a radio show that the entire stations ratings would fall off? I'd like to see what his ratings were before he left. I just can't believe that since he left CBS that they've had nothing but problems with their ratings.
At the height of his career (early to mid 90s), he had a nationwide audience of about 12 million. By the time he left, the best estimates are that he had between 8 and 10 million listeners.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
steve dahl is a staple of chicago radio, hell ive lived here my whole life and i dont remember the pre stever times. hes changed his show as hes changed his life and hes changed stations. steve will do fine. im more of a fan of the steve and gary days. his show now seems to target the 40+ white collar rich folk, of which im not. i still listen in sometimes and as a non fan im sure he'll bounce back. buzz rules.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
who could ever forget buzz kilmans stunning performance in silence of the lambs

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
listeners dont throw away a guy whos been on the air for over 25 years in this town. dahl doesnt get all high horsey and shit he just talks about stuff and lets people join in. hes just become a guy we all know wether we like him or not, theres always gonna be enough of us here that will tune in. hell he did a few years on an am sports channel here and was still successful. besides he was on ckg long before the free fm thing. ckg was music AM , midays,Dahl afternoon drive, then music again .....that was before stern was even on ckg. so what else is out there for him you ask? chicago is.buzzrules

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Dahl appears set to leave afternoons at WCKG to host mornings on WJMK

October 26, 2007

No one is supposed to know it yet, but sources say Dahl is poised to join WJMK-FM (104.3), the adult hits station called "Jack FM," as morning personality. Since the format has been airing with no disc jockeys, he would be the station's only on-air host.

The move, which could take place early next month, is tied to the impending format change at FM talker WCKG-FM (105.9), where Dahl has been the afternoon franchise since 1996.

Both stations are owned by CBS Radio.

The future format of WCKG, which also airs Bulls basketball, has not yet been announced.

Dahl, 52, who reportedly has more than three years left on his multimillion-dollar contract, said earlier this month that he has "the ability to decide whether or not I want to be moved." He still could change his mind, but sources say he has given his blessing to the new assignment.

I tried to reach out to Dahl this week, but he did not respond.

Although he has enjoyed his greatest success in afternoons, Dahl began his career here in mornings, first at the former WDAI in 1978 and more notably in his first run at WLUP-FM (97.9) from 1979 to 1981. He also hosted mornings at WMVP-AM (1000) just before joining WCKG.

Despite the dire fortunes of WCKG -- particularly since the departure of Howard Stern's syndicated morning show -- Dahl consistently has delivered ratings at or near the top of his target demographic.

In Arbitron's summer survey, Dahl ranked second among men between the ages of 25 and 54 with a 5.2 share. He was behind Spanish-language WOJO-FM (105.1) by one-tenth of a point.

Fat Opie

Brother-In-Sin
Mar 5, 2006
im more of a fan of the steve and gary days.
Yet you spell Garry's name with one R.

I remember you from the dahl.com message board in about 2001-2002. Glad to see you here, too, even if you were THE GUY Steve was referring to whenever he'd say "crazy message board people."

I'm sure Dahl will land somewhere just fine if the format changes. He's got a loyal audience that, like you said, has money to throw at sponsors. I'll go out on a limb and speculate that it'll be a reunion of the Steve and Garry Show because he'll be unemployed, too. I can't imagine Steve not at least pitching that since it would really get a lot of attention.

I just hope Steve doesn't lose Buzz because, you're correct, Buzz rules.

Fat Opie

Brother-In-Sin
Mar 5, 2006
DJ on XM 83?

(linger longer)
You'd only hear 30 seconds of each song, followed by a scratch of the needle, an explosion and "That blowed up REAL GOOD!"

It was great in 1979 but I'm glad he evolved!

I do wish he was on XM. I can only stream him online these days so it doesn't happen too often.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
i have noticed that steve and gaRRy have been on the air together a lil bit lately. im not sure how long that would last but it might be good for awhile.

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
You'd only hear 30 seconds of each song, followed by a scratch of the needle, an explosion and "That blowed up REAL GOOD!"

It was great in 1979 but I'm glad he evolved!

I do wish he was on XM. I can only stream him online these days so it doesn't happen too often.
Yay! Fat Opie gets me:icon_mrgr

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
im guessing that xm83 is a disco station then. i was 8 when we went to that game sox/tigers double header. i was in this father son thing called indian guides theres was like 20 of us. it was "bring a disco record and get in for $.98 (wlup97.9 fm) you could smell the burnt vinyl in bridgeport for days.