OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Whatever happened to common courtesy in the job search process?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Don the Radio Guy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

As I've mentioned before, I moved recently after my hours at the old place got cut to the point where I couldn't afford to stay. I have been looking for a job at the various radio stations in NYC/North Jersey and finally last week got a call to come in for an interview at one.

I went in for the interview, and since it's a news job, I was asked to take a writing test. I spent an hour rewriting 12 news stories in broadcast style, which is much different from print style. No big deal. It was easy, and I know I hit one of out of the park.

After the test, the interviewer asked me to give him a call or shoot him an email this week. The next day, I sent a very short thank you email (as is customary in the business world). No response. I didn't expect one for the thank you note.

I wait until today to call, since I was asked to call "this week". Monday would have been too soon. I call, ask for the guy and get put on hold. After about 2 minutes, I hear the dreaded "click". I wait a few minutes, and call back. Person answering the phone says manager guy is in a meeting, and specifically says to call back in an hour. I call back in an hour, a different guy answers, doesn't even ask my name. I once again get the 2 minute hold and hang up routine.

I then send the follow up email since I never spoke to anyone.

I'm inclined to think this is just the result of confusion and people being too busy, since the second call no one knew who was on the phone.

So my question is, when did it become acceptable to hang up on people in a business environment? I have the guy's personal cell number. Am I going to have to call him on his cell phone to get an answer? The vast majority of radio job advertisements are done solely for EEO requirements, so I don't want to blow a chance at a real chance at a great gig.

Any HR people here are more than welcome to chime in.

2. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Shoot the place up.

3. Turfmower

Turfmower Registered User

I really dont fucking know I stated my business in 82 when i was in fucking high school and have all ways word for my self so i dont fucking know well i did work for a freind of my dads back in 84 for 2 days because he waanted to fo hunting fuck that shit somee asshole came in to the station waning to buy 50 cents worth of gas i told him to to fo fuck him self the 3rd time he came in

I dont know how any one could work for some one else

4. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Not an HR person, but it sounds to me like you're not getting past the gatekeeper/receptionist. For a situation where there's an interview (as opposed to an online application or sending in a cover letter) there should be a definitive yes or no as to whether you're a candidate. I can't fathom any environment where a company would go through the trouble of an interview and blow you off.

I'd say try giving the guy a call on his cell phone. I wouldn't get accusatory but be sympathetic to how busy they must be and turn this into an advantage saying you have the skills to jump right in and help relieve some of the workload.

5. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I hope you didn't let your CDL expire

6. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

No... No way a company with an opening, or interviewer, is being douchey, vague, or unresponsive... I refuse to believe this.

7. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Thank you for making me think that I was having a stroke.

Don, just keep trying, they are probably too shorthanded/busy and your calls are falling through the cracks. Id also call the cell number you have to explain your situation, it cant hurt. Just dont come off totally desperate and you should be ok. Then PM me the station so I can listen/call in and give you shit. Wavey!

8. metallikat87

metallikat87 Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

employers are generally shit these days, with unemplymwnt so high they can be cunty and picky
    i went on one interview, the ad said mon-fri 7-4 which is perfect. first thing he asks is if im ok traveling and working sun-thurs, to which i replied, no, i dont want to go on the road. otherwise the interview went really well and they said, ok we will be in touch and they never ever called me back
    that was lucky anyway, my next interview landed me the job i have now and im very happy

9. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

Dude, call his cell phone. You want the job, close him.

10. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I don't think they even have a receptionist. There are several stations in the same office, but this one is owned by a different company. The receptionists answer the phone for those stations.The number I dial goes directly to the newsroom.

I think that might be the best idea. They really have been busy lately, the ratings haven't been so great so they hired a bunch of new people. The guy that I interviewed with has only been there for like 2 weeks.

11. lockjaaaaww

lockjaaaaww All out of Bubble Gum.

When I was in need of a job I called a whole bunch of companies and sent resumes to numerous places. I only got 1 response and that was the company I work for now. I wish it was one of the other ones, not much a fan of the company I work for.

12. Turfmower

Are you trying to piss me off ??? I friend of mine just died of heart attack at 52 only 5 years older than me last week. I have never been a loser and had to collect any thing for the fucking government. Today every one is a fucking loser and need the magic negro to give them a fucking hand out Go to fucking work i all ready worked 45 hours this week

13. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Don is not Amanda Bynesening and asking Obama to find out why he wasn't called back. Who said something in this thread that pissed you off?

Though if this situation did turn Don into one of those I would laugh and laugh.

14. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I've sent out about 500 resumes over the past few months. I've gotten one call from Sirius, one call from a station in Kansas City and an email from a place in Florida. Then this place, which is the first in person interview I've gotten.

What the fuck are you talking about?

15. Turfmower

I was replying the the ass hole that quoted me

16. LiddyRules

"whaa"

17. Turfmower

Im sick of working my ass off and other people are getting a free ride

18. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Wttf junior?

19. LiddyRules

"whaa"

20. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

You follow me on Twitter, it'll be made public there when it happens. Alas, I won't be an on-air person though. And the station doesn't really take calls. It's an all news format that's not WINS or WCBS-AM.

21. Turfmower

Fuck you all im going the fuck a sleep i have to be working at 6 am

22. LiddyRules

Damn it. I was really hoping for this to end up OWB2.

23. MTJonny

MTJonny All my posts come with a free smile
    Donator

Fletcher was quoting you in response to your reprehensible grammar and lack of punctuation. I work just a fucking hard as you and I have the time to add a period here and there.

24. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Hope you haven't made any plans after 2017. :action-sm

25. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

Well, the world needs ditch diggers too.