"Whatever Happened To" Movies

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Have you ever randomly started thinking about a movie you read about from years ago that just seemed to drop off the face of the Earth? Probably not, but here are two that came to mind for me.

* Benedict Cumberbatch is Thomas Edison. I know it was buried because of the Weinstein controversy, but I'd expect it to have showed up or been mentioned eventually. It's been over a year.
* That John Tuturro Jesus from Big Lebowski spin-off.

Can anyone think of any other movie that seemed far along enough in production to be made, only to vanish?

And The New Mutants has to be dead by now, right?

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I had read this military scifi series called Soldier of the Legion back in like 2009 2010 and i found out they were going to make the first book into a movie. Script was written and it was in pre production in 2011....and nothing since. I always thought it would make a good movie. It was like Starship Troopers and Aliens. Still waiting

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Maybe not surviving the vetting process just weeds out bad movie ideas. If you ever notice the movies that do finally escape developmental hell, after years of changed leads, rewrites, and directors … usually suck, not just a little, but a lot.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
Kevin Smith's CLERKS 3 (scuppered by that arrogant cocksucker Jeff Anderson) MALLRATS 2 (meant to be a TV series, apparently), MOOSE JAWS (couldn't be any stupider than YOGA HOSERS), JAY AND SILENT BOB GET A REBOOT among other 'annonuced' titles.

Who knows what that weepy stoner fuck is up to. Especially now that he has to go truly independent to get his money and not just make a phone call to rapey Uncle Harvey.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Edge of Tomorrow sequel
Yes! That movie was fucking genius. I still think Doug Liman should have been Oscar-nominated for his astonishingly great direction of it.

Sadly, it looks like Emily Blunt will be making A QUIET PLACE sequels for years to come if those things keep making money.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
I swear a few years ago i heard about a Gillian's Island movie.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
The entire Dark Universe after that Tom Cruise Mummy fiasco. Also, I don't recall how far along into production it was, but I'd throw Ronnie Rocket in there, too.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Cleopatra, starring Angelina Jolie.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Cleopatra, starring Angelina Jolie.
In this historical reimagining, Ptolemy and Pothinus are successful in kidnapping her. They then send the Royals a pair of chopped off tits to prove they had her.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Hutt Planet.

But seriously I guess now the Star Wars anthology movies are DOA.

Although it did eventually come out, Boheniman Rhapsody was in that status for awhile.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Kevin Smith's CLERKS 3 (scuppered by that arrogant cocksucker Jeff Anderson) MALLRATS 2 (meant to be a TV series, apparently), MOOSE JAWS (couldn't be any stupider than YOGA HOSERS), JAY AND SILENT BOB GET A REBOOT among other 'annonuced' titles.

Who knows what that weepy stoner fuck is up to. Especially now that he has to go truly independent to get his money and not just make a phone call to rapey Uncle Harvey.
I meant to include Moose Jaws on my original list. I want to see the further adventures of Guy Lapointe.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
The Irishman. Based off the book I heard you paint houses. The book was fantastic and should make for a great movie. It was supposed to be out late last year, then I read this year. Now They are saying 2019. I still don’t know how Di Niro is going to play the Irishman. First he is not Irish and second the guy was like 6’5” or something. He was a big guy. Many big names though.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The Irishman. Based off the book I heard you paint houses. The book was fantastic and should make for a great movie. It was supposed to be out late last year, then I read this year. Now They are saying 2019. I still don’t know how Di Niro is going to play the Irishman. First he is not Irish and second the guy was like 6’5” or something. He was a big guy. Many big names though.
That was supposed to be a huge Netflix thing. I thought it was coming out this December, but it doesn't seem it. I was wondering about this one too.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Set photos have show DeNiro wearing huge lifts next to Pacino. So I guess they're gonna do his size that way.

Also, the budget doubled once they started doing the de-aging stuff, so that will probably cause a big delay.

I have been expecting at least a trailer by this point. Maybe during the SuperBowl or some big event like that.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
That was supposed to be a huge Netflix thing. I thought it was coming out this December, but it doesn't seem it. I was wondering about this one too.
I'm really looking forward to how shitty De Niro, Pesci, and Pacino look despite the studio spending $50 million trying to make them look younger.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really looking forward to how shitty De Niro, Pesci, and Pacino look despite the studio spending $50 million trying to make them look younger.
If there's one visual effects technique Hollywood is desperate to perfect it's this de-aging shit.

Expect it to be written into every star's contract. Who knows, maybe Cameron Diaz will come out of retirement.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Set photos have show DeNiro wearing huge lifts next to Pacino. So I guess they're gonna do his size that way.

Also, the budget doubled once they started doing the de-aging stuff, so that will probably cause a big delay.

I have been expecting at least a trailer by this point. Maybe during the SuperBowl or some big event like that.

That would explain the pic someone posted here of him in platform type shoes. He is not the right person to play Ed. The de-aging thing is nonsense. Find young actors. The story is what matters not these actors who are at the end .

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I kind of want this to hurt Netflix in a big way.

I'm not as excited about this movie as I feel I would have been 10, 15 years ago. It's an interesting curiosity, but I'm not over the moon about Pesci back on screen. If this was a theatrical rather than a Netflix movie I might be more excited because of inherent bias. But it's also because mob movies seem old hat. And Scorsese's best work from the best decade have been quieter emotional pieces, like Silence and Hugo (especially. I think that's his best movie of the 21st century.).

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I still don’t know how Di Niro is going to play the Irishman. First he is not Irish and second the guy was like 6’5” or something. He was a big guy. Many big names though.
Not exactly a Mic, but I believe DeNiro is indeed part Irish. Like in Goodfellas.