WhatWasThere project

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
The WhatWasThere project was inspired by the realization that we could leverage technology and the connections it facilitates to provide a new human experience of time and space - a virtual time machine of sorts that allows users to navigate familiar streets as they appeared in the past.

What Was There is a platform where anyone can easily upload a photograph with two straightforward tags to provide context: Location and Year. If enough people upload enough photographs in enough places, it will weave together a photographic history of the world (or at least any place covered by Google Maps).

http://whatwasthere.com/

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Soooo we run around taking pictures of stuff and upload it to this site in hopes that future civilization will discover it?

How will they be able to connect to the internet once we are nothing but ruins?

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
Soooo we run around taking pictures of stuff and upload it to this site in hopes that future civilization will discover it?

yes but if you look you will see pics of the past.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California

I may be wrong, but I think they want you to upload old photographs you have. Say if you have a picture of Wall Street in 1940 or something like that.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I may be wrong, but I think they want you to upload old photographs you have. Say if you have a picture of Wall Street in 1940 or something like that.
Edit: From their homepage...

Whether you have one or two snapshots from a family album or a library of archived images, together we can build a history of the world