OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

When a Brit Tabloid Goes Too Far...It Goes Too Far (Murdoch Withdraws BSkyB Bid)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by LiddyRules, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bu...B_Following_News_Of_The_World_Hacking_Scandal

He also ceased the publication of News of the World.

I don't know if anyone else is following the story, I find it interesting.

2. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

At first I just thought it was the British libs trying to sensationalize what was going on but it appears they REALLY fucked up. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention by our mainstream media being that it's a Murdoch venture.

I don't think our culture gets how the British media works. Even their more "mainstream" ones pretty much wear their biases on their sleeve. Our tabloids are immediately dismissed as being in the "Bat Boy" category, but even News of the World had a lot of actual journalistic scoops. But it's amazing that this scandal has brought down a 168 year old paper like this.

3. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

They have been talking about it on CNN, NBC Nightly News, and MSNBC.

I just find it funny that nobody had problem with what News of the World was doing when it was happening to politicians, celebrities, and the Royal family. But as soon as it started happening to the average Joe, all hell broke loose.

4. Party Rooster

Only really the last couple of weeks. And I usually only watch Fox, don't see a lot of coverage of it on there...:icon_cool

There isn't that same expectation of privacy with public figgers. And hacking into the kidnapped girls phone and deleting the messages so more could come in was pretty fucked up. The family thought she was still alive because they could tell someone was deleting the messages, and then they found out she was dead the whole time.

5. English Gent

English Gent Registered User

It's a bloody shame that it will be remembered for this scandal because, as you say, it's done some fucking great investigative journalism over the years (as have most of the supposedly low-rent tabloids, actually). It looks like they just got so accustomed to mining people's voicemails for dirt that they just did it to everyone. It'll be interesting to hear how the 9/11 victims and families hacking allegations pan out now.

6. Stormrider666

I agree that hacking into the dead girl's phone was fucked up and the differences in expectation of privacy when it comes to public figures. But people almost snickering and taking delight in seeing public figures' phones being hacked into. Then turning around acting shocked and outraged when it turns out that NOTW was doing it to private people comes off a little hypocritical.

7. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

The fallacy of "unbiased" media is a uniquely American thing. I wouldn't bet my last dollar that this sort of thing happens all the time in every singe UK newsroom.

8. English Gent

Honestly, I didn't really get any sense of delight from the UK public about politicians' phones getting hacked, though I do agree that the public went fucking wild with anger when they found out the the murdered schoolgirl, Milly Dowler, had had her phone hacked. People were concerned about it even when we had only heard about celebs and politicians, but hacking murdered schoolgirls, 7/7 bombing victims, etc, took it to a whole new level.

Oh, and you guys might be pleased to learn that Piers Morgan has now been implicated...............

9. English Gent

It's pretty clear that it happened in a lot of newsrooms, but there are definitely media outlets that would touch that kind of thing with a barge pole: mainstream TV channels, most of the broadsheets, etc. A few of the broadsheets and a couple of the tabloids are more or less straight down the middle politically but, yeah, a few wear their biases on their sleeves.

10. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I'd also be willing to bet that sort of thing happens in many newsrooms here in the US. Any business where people get paid and make promotions on having a story first, they will do anything to achieve that end. It's human nature.

11. Party Rooster

At first I thought you were confusing your 7/7 victims with our 9/11 victims. But it looks like Jay Rockefeller is calling for a congressional investigation into it. Hope I get to find out before he eliminates the internet. :icon_cool

So you're saying this doesn't happen in every single newsroom?

Conservative smokescreen. ;)

12. LiddyRules

If a couple of Bobbies come onto his CNN show and arrest him live, that might be the greatest tv moment ever.

13. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    It's My Birthday! Donator

Shame no one will see it.

14. Party Rooster

Aw shit. Murdoch dun goofed if a prominent Republican is even jumping on board with this...

15. LiddyRules

State of Play 2: This Time We've Pissed Off The Feds

It was a BBC miniseries first. It had both Sam Tyler AND Gene Hunt, plus new Prof. X, the chick from Boardwalk Empire and Trainspotting, the chick from Caprica and Rome, and Bill Nighy.

16. Party Rooster

Heads be rollin'...

17. Stormrider666

Although its been a long time coming, I'm actually surprised that Brooks finally quit. I have this sneaking suspicion that Murdoch was banging her and didn't want to fire her because of the "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" saying. She probably knows where some bodies are buried.

18. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    It's My Birthday! Donator

Deflection at its finest,

19. LiddyRules

Head of Scotland Yard steps down

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...51732627388162.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

20. Party Rooster

[video=youtube;EG7rgX3vk4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EG7rgX3vk4I[/video]

21. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

And....

Link

22. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

[​IMG]
    Rebekah Brooks

[​IMG]
    Shaun White

[video=youtube;7g9WjcGdxuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9WjcGdxuM[/video]

23. Hoffman

Hoffman Guess who's back? Hoffman's back