WHEN ORDERING PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH signs ok.

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
Remember this guy?
'Speak English' Signs OK at Philly Shop
March 19, 2008 - 7:38pm
By PATRICK WALTERS
Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The owner of a famous cheesesteak shop did not discriminate when he posted signs asking customers to speak English, a city panel ruled Wednesday.

In a 2-1 vote, a Commission on Human Relations panel found that two signs at Geno's Steaks telling customers, "This is America: WHEN ORDERING 'PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH,'" do not violate the city's Fair Practices Ordinance.

Shop owner Joe Vento has said he posted the signs in October 2005 because of concerns over immigration reform and an increasing number of people in the area who could not order in English.

Vento has said he never refused service to anyone because they couldn't speak English. But critics argued that the signs discourage customers of certain backgrounds from eating at the shop.

Commissioners Roxanne E. Covington and Burt Siegel voted to dismiss the complaint, finding that the sign does not communicate that business will be "refused, withheld or denied."

In a dissenting opinion, Commissioner Joseph J. Centeno said he thought the signs did discourage some customers.

"The sign appeared immediately above another sign that had the following words: 'Management Reserves the Right to Refuse Service,'" Centeno wrote.

Geno's and its chief rival across the street, Pat's King of Steaks, are two of the city's best known cheesesteak venues. A growing number of Asian and Latin American immigrants have moved into the traditionally Italian neighborhood in recent years.

Vento had threatened to go to court if he lost. His attorney, Albert G. Weiss, said he was "pleasantly surprised" by Wednesday's decision.

"We expected that this was not going to go our way," Weiss said.

In February 2007, the commission found probable cause against Geno's for discrimination, alleging that the policy discourages customers of certain backgrounds from eating there.

The case went to a public hearing, where an attorney for the commission argued that the sign was about intimidation, not political speech. The matter then went to the three-member panel for a ruling.

W. Nick Taliaferro, the commission's executive director, said he would not appeal.

(Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
He was on O+A at least once before. Maybe more than that?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
its big news in philly

right below i 95 falling appart

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
English...motherfucker! Do you speak it???!!!!! Do they speak English in what???!!!

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Good. The PC douchebags take a hit on this one. Fuck 'em. Chalk one up for Joe Vento and those of us like him.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Its ashame I can't say "Your cheesesteaks are garbage and overrated" in another language.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Geno's > Pat's. Plus, Joe gets points for his philosphy.

Tony Luke's is better than both, IMHO. And, I can get a better sandwich locally than any of them.

Aizazzle

I always have a plan
Jul 27, 2006
Philly
Good for him, I'm happy the PC police took one in the cunt...

Geno's > Pat's. Plus, Joe gets points for his philosphy.
Yup Geno's beats Pat's any day of the week.

Tony Luke's is better than both, IMHO. And, I can get a better sandwich locally than any of them.
Sinn, I'm dreadfully disappointed in you for missing Steve's

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
:clap:Bravo to him.

Even his lawyer says he did not see this going their way.

Good for him for standing his ground and better for all of us that he won.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Sinn, I'm dreadfully disappointed in you for missing Steve's
I've mentioned Steve's in previous threads on this topic.

I actually was gonna stop at Steve's the other day for lunch because I was in the area but I got too busy to even take a break for lunch.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Yay Joey! Too bad the bbboys are on vacation, because it seems like a Pest Attack needs to go out to Commissioner Joseph J. Centeno.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Good ruling, Geno's fatty steaks suck though.

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
NOLA
if/when i get my orders to DC, i really need to head out to philly to try these cheese-steaks i keep hearing about.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
They're quite good. Skip Pat's, Geno's and Jim's though. They're for tourists and post drinking food.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
now he just needs a "KILL MUMIA" sign

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I prefer Pats too, but I'll buy a steak from this guy once in a while when I'm in the area just on GP.

Then for my second steak I go across the street :D

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
Now, if maybe he can make a good sammich.

( Never been there, just read here that it could be better)

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Ummm, hi... it's a private establishment, not a fucking public hospital or some shit. There are a number of places (restaurants, bars, etc) in Japan that have signs saying flat out "no foreigners" and no one really makes a big deal out of it. These people are acting like wolfing down a cheesesteak is a basic human right.