OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

When WWF started the "attitude"

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by UCJOE, Nov 4, 2012.

1. UCJOE

UCJOE I have a lot of business with the Chinese

I so remember this clearly.

This was when Vince finally listened to Shawn about having an attitude & letting him go off on promo's.
    This was after HBK ref'd the Hart/Taker match as a babyface & before DX & Montreal
    The Sept to April run 97/99 was my fav era ever. WWF was doing their own thing & finding the balance & even though they were still be killed by Nitro, Vince trusted Shawn, Hunter, Austin & even Russo that this was the right direction.
    That is what lacks now. I think it had a chance to go their again with Punk & the "Pipe Bomb" but they screwed it up

Man I miss the edgier, honest days. Shawn was so entertaining those months bec he was himself & not a team of writers with "poopy" jokes (Cena)

2. UCJOE

When Bret tried to be as edgy as HBK/HHH

HBK: (to Vince) you thought I was burying you before, well bringing that idiot (Hart) out here will make it worse

Edit: Best part was Bret unknowingly calling them degenerates set up the DX name. Up until then it was loosely called Shawn's Kliq

#2 UCJOE, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Vince McMahon would do these promos about the changing nature of the program and this one really sticks out in my mind.

"We will push the envelope to entertain you in a more contemporary manner" but the company has spent the last 6 years retreating back to 1994.

How somebody could say this in 1997 and have Austin, The Rock, himself as to my mind the greatest heel/Evil Boss character in history, Degeneration X, Undertaker and Mankind as his top draws and then go to what we have now has always amazed me.

4. UCJOE

Great find

#4 UCJOE, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012