Which carrier?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I know I'm going to get shit, but I could use some advice.

Time for Biv to get a new phone and service. Blech.

Anyway, I already know I want a Galaxy S9.

My question is the carriers. I'm a total noob to this. The plan I've had for more than a decade was a no contract plan with Virgin Mobile. I'm paying $35/mo for 600 minutes and unlimited data.....though speeds are pretty slow. They don't support anything lower than an S10, so I need to get a big boy plan.

Any suggestions on who I should go with? I was told to avoid Sprint, but they seem to have the best plans and almost as good of coverage as verizon. Though no carrier has bad coverage, per se, in the Seattle area.

How do I wade through all of this shit? I know I want 4G, if possible. But what else should I be looking for?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
I know I'm going to get shit, but I could use some advice.

Time for Biv to get a new phone and service. Blech.

Anyway, I already know I want a Galaxy S9.

My question is the carriers. I'm a total noob to this. The plan I've had for more than a decade was a no contract plan with Virgin Mobile. I'm paying $35/mo for 600 minutes and unlimited data.....though speeds are pretty slow. They don't support anything lower than an S10, so I need to get a big boy plan.

Any suggestions on who I should go with? I was told to avoid Sprint, but they seem to have the best plans and almost as good of coverage as verizon. Though no carrier has bad coverage, per se, in the Seattle area.

How do I wade through all of this shit? I know I want 4G, if possible. But what else should I be looking for?
You already have Sprint on Virgin mobile technically. Are you aware of how much data you use typically?

BIV

You already have Sprint on Virgin mobile technically. Are you aware of how much data you use typically?
No idea. Never even thought about it. My phone is so old it can barely run YouTube.

But I'd like to be able to game.

ruckstande

Donator
How much do you pay now? Right now we use Ting. We pay for data. If you aren't a heavy data user it works. Between the three of us, we use one 6gb of data a month which costs around 150. You should look at your bill. Does the S9 work on all carriers?

BIV

How much do you pay now? Right now we use Ting. We pay for data. If you aren't a heavy data user it works. Between the three of us, we use one 6gb of data a month which costs around 150. You should look at your bill. Does the S9 work on all carriers?
I don't even have a bill. A flat $35/m. 600min/unlimited data.

BIV

Oh, I can't. I've already dealt with the fact that I'm probably going to be dropping $60/month.

Virgin doesn't let you use your own android phone and the only option they provide is garbage phones or a full price S10. Fuck that.

EDIT: They added an S9, but no S9+ and it's $599....I can get the same phone for $360-499 or a S9+ for $599

It also looks like I only have 2560 mb of data unless I add on.

Hell, I don't know. I hate figuring out this shit.

As long as it doen't crack $60, I'm less concerned about the price as I am the quality of the service.

maz

TRueWDTer
I was paying $85 total with Verizon
Unlimited everything
Until I got a new phone
LG ThinQ something or other
Added a Samsung Tablet for $1
But that is an extra $20 per month line charge
I can ditch that whenever though
It's good for watching movies at work
My bill is now $150 with the added shit including monthly payments for the phone

May or may not keep the Tablet activated

BIV

I just have no concept of what a gig of data is when it comes to phone. 10 gigs sounds tiny.

ruckstande

Donator
It doesn't matter if you have access to Wifi.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Get someone over 55 to sign up for Verizon's 55+ plan. Two lines unlimited everything is $80.

In 2020 I'll be able to do that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

maz

TRueWDTer
Get someone over 55 to sign up for Verizon's 55+ plan. Two lines unlimited everything is $80.

In 2020 I'll be able to do that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Fuck
I'll have to look into that now
For a friend , of course

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
Verizon has the best coverage nationwide hands down no contest

Except at Casa Del Murph, so we have Sprint, which was a much better deal and our Daughter is a Manager there so she hooks us up.....my work cell is Verizon though

If all you care about is Seattle, ask people if they ever have coverage issues

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Fuck
I'll have to look into that now
For a friend , of course
I got my new phone yesterday (Galaxy S10+), the guys at the store were telling me all the ways to lower your bill. I already knew about the 55+ plan. If you have your bill set up for auto-pay, apparently that knocks another $5 off your bill for each line that you have. So, I can save $20/month if we switch to auto-pay.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I have TMobile and have no problems with them but I don't know how they are out there

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
If you are going to be traveling, it is either ATT or Verizon because all the ghetto phones even Tmobile don't do so well out of cities. If you travel in the sticks and want to use data, there is only Verizon. ATT may be faster and brag about their network but once you get out of bug cities, ATT sucks dead donkey cock. I have both and sometimes my iphone on ATT won't even update the weather app because of no data but if I turn on my Myfi from Verizon, the ATT phone gets data from it and it works. ATT for voice works fine for what I need it for and the call drop average is about the same my co workers Verizons phones.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
If you are going to be traveling, it is either ATT or Verizon because all the ghetto phones even Tmobile don't do so well out of cities. If you travel in the sticks and want to use data, there is only Verizon. ATT may be faster and brag about their network but once you get out of bug cities, ATT sucks dead donkey cock. I have both and sometimes my iphone on ATT won't even update the weather app because of no data but if I turn on my Myfi from Verizon, the ATT phone gets data from it and it works. ATT for voice works fine for what I need it for and the call drop average is about the same my co workers Verizons phones.
Yup, once you get in areas where there's over 50 miles between Starbucks locations, Verizon wins. I think it's because they bought up a ton of regional companies (that focused on local coverage) in its early years, at least that's what they did where I'm from. So they already had towers and right aways in the best spots for rural coverage.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Oh, I can't. I've already dealt with the fact that I'm probably going to be dropping $60/month.

Virgin doesn't let you use your own android phone and the only option they provide is garbage phones or a full price S10. Fuck that.

EDIT: They added an S9, but no S9+ and it's $599....I can get the same phone for $360-499 or a S9+ for $599

It also looks like I only have 2560 mb of data unless I add on.

Hell, I don't know. I hate figuring out this shit.

As long as it doen't crack $60, I'm less concerned about the price as I am the quality of the service.
I've got a T-Mobile unlimited everything plan for $70 a month and a mid level LG phone that does everything I need it to

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Sprint & T-Mobile are merging soon possibly getting final approval this week