White House Pressures Youtube to "Review" Islam Movie.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/14/white-house-asks-youtube-to-review-anti-islam-film/

Google will not remove anti-Islam film from YouTube following White House request for review
Published September 14, 2012
FoxNews.com

Google will not remove the YouTube video that has been cited as the spark for demonstrations raging across the Middle East and North Africa, the company announced Friday, Politico reports.

The decision comes following a White House request for the trailer for ‘Innocence of Muslims’ to be reviewed under the company’s policies.
The Obama administration is not explicitly asking YouTube to remove the film, but to check if it meets their standards.

"The White House asked YouTube to review the video to see if it was in compliance with their terms of use," Press Secretary Jay Carney said.
The company determined that the video was within guidelines.

“However, we’ve restricted access to it in countries where it is illegal such as India and Indoesia, as well as in Libya and Egypt given the very sensitive situation sin these two countries,” a spokeswoman told Politico.

The trailer for "Innocence of Muslims" has been used as a rallying cry by those attacking U.S. embassies and consulates around the world. Several top lawmakers, though, have questioned whether the film -- in the case of the deadly attack on the consulate in Libya -- was used as a cover to execute a pre-planned attack on American officials.

Critics have accused the Obama administration of putting too much focus on the film itself, and faulted the administration for continuing to condemn it.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, in a ceremony Friday marking the return of the remains of the four Americans killed, again described that video as "senseless" and "unacceptable." But she also called on leaders in those countries to stop the violence.

"The people of Egypt, Libya, Yemen and Tunisia did not trade the tyranny of a dictator for the tyranny of a mob. Reasonable people and responsible leaders in these countries need to do everything they can to restore security and hold accountable those behind these violent acts," she said.

Meanwhile, The Associated Press reports that federal probation officials are investigating the California filmmaker linked to the video. He had previously been convicted of financial crimes.
Fox News' Wendell Goler contributed to this report.
Good to see they're standing up for free speech.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Meanwhile there are thousands of jihadi videos calling for violence against the infidels on YouTube.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm kinda shocked Google didn't cave.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I hate that they think they can do that but also say this:

“We understand that it is hard for some people around the world to understand why the United States does not prevent movies like this from seeing the light of day," Carney told reporters traveling on Air Force One Thursday. "That’s impossible to do."

"More importantly, our country as a long tradition of free expression that is protected by law. Our government does not and cannot stop individual citizens from expressing their views. Those of us who care about religious tolerance, respect religious beliefs must not allow a tiny minority of people to provoke conflict between different religions, cultures and countries. All leaders must draw a stark line against violence," Carney said.
Got it. "Please don't kill us because there was nothing we could do to stop the movie," followed by "the filmmakers are a tiny minority that provoke conflict, not like us enlightened people."

Sorry to be "nitpicky," but only an Obama official can turn a statement about freedom of speech into a groveling, spineless, sniveling pseudo-apology.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
How many god damn threads does there need to be on this situation? CE is tough enough to keep up with as it is.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
How many god damn threads does there need to be on this situation? CE is tough enough to keep up with as it is.
I like it. It's like a challenge.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Google is, White House isn't.
Oh, literal....

What ever happened to that old saying "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it"?

You don't think that the White House pressuring Google to remove this person's film from Youtube is a big enough deal to warrant its own thread? To me this is a HUGE issue.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
You don't think that the White House pressuring Google to remove this person's film from Youtube is a big enough deal to warrant its own thread? To me this is a HUGE issue.
And well within the context of the other threads that have already been posted. Its not a separate issue, if that were the case there should be another thread for the embassy attack, the apology from Obama, the further protests, the further attacks, etc etc. I just think it would be a lot easier to navigate if it was centralized in one thread rather than spread out all over the place.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
And well within the context of the other threads that have already been posted. Its not a separate issue, if that were the case there should be another thread for the embassy attack, the apology from Obama, the further protests, the further attacks, etc etc. I just think it would be a lot easier to navigate if it was centralized in one thread rather than spread out all over the place.
You're probably right, but the thread would be 20 pages long by now and half of it would be making fun of MagicBob and KyleDriver

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
You're probably right, but the thread would be 20 pages long by now and half of it would be making fun of MagicBob and KyleDriver
One 20 page thread would be easier to follow than four 5 page threads. Condense the mocking and it makes it much easier for the readers.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Whatever, the mods can merge it if they want. I won't be offended.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Burn! Burn!

(If you image search angry muslims, you get plenty of returns. )

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Hillary Cunton said:
"The people of Egypt, Libya, Yemen and Tunisia did not trade the tyranny of a dictator for the tyranny of a mob."
Um, yes they did. And this is the proof. Keep plugging your ears and covering your eyes, maybe they'll stop if you don't pay any attention.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
What would be really funny is if they broadcasted meatspin or 2 Girls 1 Cup for the Hadji's.

Aug 11, 2005
It's not about the fucking movie.

They hate OBAMA!

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
he people of Egypt, Libya, Yemen and Tunisia did not trade the tyranny of a dictator for the tyranny of a mob.
Technically, that's true. They traded it for the tyranny of a majority. Unfortunately, that mob is quite representative of the majority. So you're not saying much there, sweetheart.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Fucking disgusting.

At least the federal government is doing its job by protecting the violent protesters around the world from peaceful filmmakers in America.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Ugh... I've been arguing this all day with some guy on my Facebook. I can't believe people think this meets the definition of "inciting violence." Inciting can only be active, not passive. Making an offensive video in an attempt to provoke violence isn't incitement. It is provocation, which is protected under the First Amendment.