White water rafting

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
I'm going white water rafting for the first time somewhere in Maine next week. Anyone have any good tips/stories? Or perhaps you just want to say your goodbyes?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Rafted the Gauley in West Virginia a few times. The upper portion is awsome.
Class 3 to Class 5+. ( that was a class 6 but they broke it down a bit to make
it safe. rafting a class 6 isn't legal in wv. but effing your sister is, go figure )
Really a good time. If you have a good river guide you'll have a great ride.

AngryPest

Mar 3, 2005
I've gone rafting up in Maine (The Forks area) several times. Which river are you doing? Depending on how much water is released you can get some impressive rapids. Especially on the Dead River.

The Forks is way up in Maine. The drive from Mass was over 5 hours.
Bring plenty of beer since there is nothing else to do up there other than rafting. Have fun.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
Gauley is great, Upper Potomac, and New River. BB1 you can't fuck your sister in WV nor even a close cousin, your have to go to Kentucky for that.

If you fall out of the boat, get your feet downstream and ride out the rapid. Are you going in a full raft, ducky, canoe, or kayak? 2-man ducky and kayak are the most fun. Get a decent guide and have fun.

Simby19

Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
I believe the raft holds either 6 or 8 people so there's tons to mock me when I fall out. I believe it's the Penobscot Bay, which is a catchy name. First a few are driving from NJ then meeting up with people in MA, then doing the rest of the drive. That will be brutal.

Friday

Fezzing Out
May 1, 2007
elsewhere
Some friends of mine just went WW Rafting in Maine last week and they had a BLAST.

BUT - one of the girls lost her brand new waterproof digital camera - the strap just broke right off. So maybe just bring a disposable waterproof camera to be safe.

Have fun!

Simby19

Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
I just heard today that it's a Class 5. What class have you guys done?

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Isn't Class 5 umm, kinda like "Oh shit!" stuff?

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
I just heard today that it's a Class 5. What class have you guys done?
1st through 12th. You'll only need a 6th grade education for a class 5 though. :rolleyes:

Class five is pretty rough waters. Hope you don't have a weak stomach. Sure you don't want to start out with a slip-n-slide first?

Simby19

Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
The stomach isn't an issue, so hopefully I'll be good to go. I'll save the heavy drinking for that night instead of the night before. Like I said, post your goodbyes.

click

Jan 5, 2005
N. Jersey
Do you mean the Penobscot River? I think it's in Baxter State Park. Never been rafting but it's a really cool place. Quite a haul, even from Mass. Have fun and be safe.

AngryPest

Mar 3, 2005
Here's a quote I found about the river you are going on

"Maine's mile high Mount Katahdin provides the backdrop for the Maine's most challenging stretch of class V whitewater rafting. In the first two miles the Penobscot River rushes through the spectacular Ripogenus Gorge. On this section whitewater rapids like "Exterminator", and "Fist of God" live up to their names. The "Crib Works" rapid is solid class V whitewater. This stretch of white water is the most challenging commercial whitewater rafting trip in Maine as well as New England."

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I've done white water rafting here in the U.S.A. and Australia, if you fall out the boat and are in the water, keep your feet in front of you as you flow downstream. You can use use feet and and legs as shock absorbers, just try to "jump" off the rocks until they pull you out.

Been there and done it, enjoy the ride!

KingTheoden84

Jun 9, 2007
Simby, I did ww rafting in Pennsylvania a while back- unfortunately my outing was smack in the middle the terrible drought in 1999. The waters were very, very tame but it was still pretty fun.

Watch out for odd insects, as my raft compatriots and I learned then. An enormous fury spider apparently jumped from a branch and onto someone in the raft. I saw this creature first, then others noticed my ghostly appearance until we were all starring at this person as if he were about to expire. Once he realized there was a mega arachnid on him, I think the entire Jim Thorpe valley heard the shriek of terror. Not sure what happened to the spider though I think he made it out of the raft safely. I however nearly tore an organ from laughing.

The advice from others is pretty sound- you pop out, go feet first. Class V...good luck!

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Here's a quote I found about the river you are going on

"Maine's mile high Mount Katahdin provides the backdrop for the Maine's most challenging stretch of class V whitewater rafting. In the first two miles the Penobscot River rushes through the spectacular Ripogenus Gorge. On this section whitewater rapids like "Exterminator", and "Fist of God" live up to their names. The "Crib Works" rapid is solid class V whitewater. This stretch of white water is the most challenging commercial whitewater rafting trip in Maine as well as New England."
What's a 5 like?

Fist of God.

AngryPest

Mar 3, 2005
Short answer: A 5 is fun.

You’re wearing a special life jacket (designed for rapids). The guide is trained and there will be people posted on shore (at the exciting areas) to help you out. Listen to the safety lecture, keep your feet up and point them down river, don't panic. Its fun.

Here is an unofficial list (edited from a web site):
Class 1: Very small rough areas, requires no maneuvering.
Class 2: Some rough water, maybe some rocks, might require maneuvering.
Class 3: Whitewater, small waves, maybe a small drop, but no considerable danger. May require significant maneuvering.
(1-3 Boring)
Class 4: Whitewater, medium waves, maybe rocks, maybe a considerable drop, and sharp maneuvers may be needed.
Class 5: Whitewater, large waves, maybe large rocks and hazards, maybe a large drop, precise maneuvering. Fun
Class 6: Impassable, I always heard this was pretty much a waterfall…

Simby19

Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
Wow this is all reassuring. Perhaps I should start in my bathtub

AngryPest

Mar 3, 2005
Its fine. Its a lot of fun and its relatively safe. Go on the trip and have fun. Is sounds a lot more scary than it is.

The best advice I can give you is bring BEER and bug spray. There is nothing to do up there other than raft. One place has a bar (at least the last time I went) and that is pretty much it.

Simby19

Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
My friend that is arranging everything also did it last year and he said everyone drank it up the first night like idiots. Ofcourse this led to them puking off the side of the raft and I'm sure a brutal hangover. I'll be sally sober the first night then beer will be my friend if I make it out in one piece.

I got the roll call recently and one guys girlfriend decided to sign up and go last minute because she heard there will be cute girls there and has serious issues. How cunty and she best not start drama.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Advice from someone who knows:

Stay in the raft. They're much safer when yoou do that.

If you fall out of the raft, or if the raft capsizes, endeavor to get back in it. However, you must then make a decision weather to persue said raft, or just let nature kill you instead of it.

I hop you know how to swim & at least have an idea how to move yourself away from obstructions. Kinda like body surfing. the current is your friend & your worst enemy if you fight it.

I honestly haven't been rafting since I was in highschool. I prefer boats that right themselves, (I sunk those too) and I don't like rocks.

You're gonna have a blast. Just stick with someone who knows what they're doing & know your limits..