Who’s the Hyundai mechanic?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I’m a forgetful twit and I know one of you guys was a factory service tech for Hyundai.
The wife’s Kia Sportage is making a a very distinctive rotational clunking from the right rear under very specific circumstances, Slow speed, hard right turn, moderate to light load sounds to me, and has the “ass feel” of a limited slip differential locking and un locking under a load, I’m curious if I shoul wait till it breaks or take it into the dealer because its still under warranty

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I’m a forgetful twit and I know one of you guys was a factory service tech for Hyundai.
The wife’s Kia Sportage is making a a very distinctive rotational clunking from the right rear under very specific circumstances, Slow speed, hard right turn, moderate to light load sounds to me, and has the “ass feel” of a limited slip differential locking and un locking under a load, I’m curious if I shoul wait till it breaks or take it into the dealer because its still under warranty
What would a Hyundai tech know about Kia's?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
@Wrecktum used to work for Hyundai but I don't think he does anymore.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Yup. Some of the earlier versions were virtually identical cars except for the grills and taillights.
See im used to when an asian car company has 2 brands one is the normal brand and the other is the luxury brand like toyota and lexus. Hyundai doesnt strike me as a luxury brand

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
I would take it in. I've only ever seen a few rear diffs blow up. 9/10 times it's a speed sensor out of whack maybe there a crack in a tone wheel where the speed sensor "sees" a slip and throws the traction control on. Your best bet is if you can reproduce it consistently take a tech or service advisor for a ride in the parking lot or what have you and get it to happen. Could even be a wheel bearing that's on it's way out and only makes noise when there is enough load on it. But my advise is to get it in asap in there system.

This way if they if they have incompetents working there and either blow it out the door because it's hard to reproduce or they can't find it after just glancing at it you can sue them when the wheel falls off. I don't have to tell you most mechanics are fucking useless.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I would take it in. I've only ever seen a few rear diffs blow up. 9/10 times it's a speed sensor out of whack maybe there a crack in a tone wheel where the speed sensor "sees" a slip and throws the traction control on. Your best bet is if you can reproduce it consistently take a tech or service advisor for a ride in the parking lot or what have you and get it to happen. Could even be a wheel bearing that's on it's way out and only makes noise when there is enough load on it. But my advise is to get it in asap in there system.

This way if they if they have incompetents working there and either blow it out the door because it's hard to reproduce or they can't find it after just glancing at it you can sue them when the wheel falls off. I don't have to tell you most mechanics are fucking useless.

What is interesting is her old sportage 2011 was doing the exact same thing when we traded it in except it was really getting loud, maybe the next time she has a few days off I will schedule a service visit, I just need to get it to do it consistently

Wrecktum

Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
I thought it was him but wasn’t sure, doesn’t matter if he’s still working just that he has experience
Oh and I can't remember the name of the part. But it's almost like a clutch/actuator right where the drive shaft meets up to the rear dif. I have seen those do some weird shit before on Santa fe

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
See im used to when an asian car company has 2 brands one is the normal brand and the other is the luxury brand like toyota and lexus. Hyundai doesnt strike me as a luxury brand
They dipped their toe into the luxury market with the Hyundai Genesis. They did well, so they spun it off into a separate nameplate, ala Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesis.html

Kia has the K900. They seem to have skipped 2018 but are bringing it back for 2019.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/upcoming-vehicles/2019-k900

Wrecktum

Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
They dipped their toe into the luxury market with the Hyundai Genesis. They did well, so they spun it off into a separate nameplate, ala Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesis.html

Kia has the K900. They seem to have skipped 2018 but are bringing it back for 2019.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/upcoming-vehicles/2019-k900
Well Hyundai is also separating the genesis line into a separate company basically. Separate showrooms and diffrent models. There all gonna be like called a G80, G90 so on. Should be rolling out a Genesis SUV soon as well. Cant beat it for a 60k car the comparable Mercedes would be double the price

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Oh and I can't remember the name of the part. But it's almost like a clutch/actuator right where the drive shaft meets up to the rear dif. I have seen those do some weird shit before on Santa fe

That’s exactly what it sounds like, like a clutch pack is engaging and disengaging it may actually be happening because it is supposed to.

Wrecktum

Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
That’s exactly what it sounds like, like a clutch pack is engaging and disengaging it may actually be happening because it is supposed to.
Like I said worse case theres documentation you brought up the concern. Down the line it it gets worse you got them by the balls.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
My wife's does the same thing. Happens when she's slowing down. 2011 Sportage.
Slowing down going straight? Or slowing down and making a turn? And is it coming from the back or front? Do you feel the noise in the steering wheel or your ass or foot through the brake peddle?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Slowing down going straight? Or slowing down and making a turn? And is it coming from the back or front? Do you feel the noise in the steering wheel or your ass or foot through the brake peddle?
Slowing down going straight. I can't tell where it's coming from exactly. I'm pretty sure it's the front. I don't feel anything when it happens.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
I say trade it in for a newer Kia again so it can happen again.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I say trade it in for a newer Kia again so it can happen again.
That’s the plan, dump it in March and get a new one

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I hate disposable cars, I understand them, but I hate them.
My wife drives 40+ miles a day for work, and twice a month she has to dirive much further, and it’s our “reliable” vehicle, so, every 50k she buys a new Kia, if you trade them in with plenty of “life” your not plagued with having to work on it, I have two shit boxes that I plan on limping along for as absolutely long as I can, but, I’m a mechanic. My wife is not