Who is getting an iPhone? Begins shipping on June 29

Ack's Grl

New Wackbag
Sep 21, 2005
Anthony is so gonna get one. I just got a new phone so fuck that. I'll stick with it until Anthony gives his opinion on the iPhone, then maybe I'll get one too depending.

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
I'm too poor to get one. Besides, my Motorola Slvr is fine. I don't need a phone that plays movies, mp3s or jacks me off as long as I can make calls.... although now that I think about it...

circpro

No Complaints here
Nov 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
My Treo works just fine.

Plus, I don't like that there isn't going to be 3rp party apps for it and it is over fucking priced...

Got my Palm Treo 755p for free and if I really wanted to could have the Iphone launcher...

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
It looks cool, but I don't want to buy a phone if the gadgets are better than the phone option itself...which I have heard is the problem with the iphone.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Anthony is so gonna get one. I just got a new phone so fuck that. I'll stick with it until Anthony gives his opinion on the iPhone, then maybe I'll get one too depending.
Ant might want to read this before he purchases it:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/23/new-details-about-the-iphone/

Remember the winning Engadget commercial, "The Long Arm of Steve Jobs"? We posted it after the break, but finding someone who's spent some serious time with a pre-launch iPhone and getting them to talk is basically a lot like that. Still, we managed to smuggle out some freshly leaked details from a very trusted inside source who's been fooling around with a unit. Here's what they had to say:

* The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
* The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.
* "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
* The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.
* In addition to its dock, the iPhone comes packaged with a polishing cloth (the thing's supposedly a fingerprint magnet, no surprise) and the usual smallish power adapter.
* The Bluetooth headset will debut in the $120 range, and will come with its own dock for charging both the phone and the headset. The headset will feature a miniature magnetic charging interface á la MagSafe.

Click on for more impressions on the headset, browser, YouTube, and more.

* The Bluetooth headset has a hidden LED and is supposedly a very small and elegant device. Sound quality is said to be "typical". There is no clip; like many headsets you're expected to just let it hang out of your ear, as previously shown.
* The browser "worked well" but page load speeds on EDGE were just as slow as expected. It sounds like 3G users will have a tough run with this.
* Users must scroll through the address book (or use the alphabet-drag on the side) -- one cannot bring up the keyboard and type in a name, as many of us are used to.
* Shocker: YouTube over EDGE didn't work well at all, and will basically necessitate use of WiFi.

Ok, that's all we've got for now. At this point we're just really looking forward to putting the spurs to this thing -- Apple is hyping this product like nothing we've ever seen before, and we're ready to bring every detail to light.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Jeeze, the "Clubsoda Kenny" of cell phones.

"I mean, get it if you want, I'm just sayin'!":icon_mrgr
I'm just sayin' that early adopters of new technology often end up wanting to do something silly like... oh, I don't know:

[break]MjE4Mzc1[/break]

:D

Plus - if Ant doesn't have Cingualr/AT&T, he's going to have to switch, since that's the only network that'll carry the phone.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I'm just sayin' that early adopters of new technology often end up wanting to do something silly like... oh, I don't know:

[break]MjE4Mzc1[/break]

:D

Plus - if Ant doesn't have Cingualr/AT&T, he's going to have to switch, since that's the only network that'll carry the phone.
But that's only if early adoptors are using a Dell. My Gateway was not vista ready and it worked perfectly with vista.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
I won't be getting the iPhone. However, I am considering getting the yet-to-be released sixth generation iPod. Supposedly, it is the iPhone minus the phone, and may include more memory, etc. A few months back, I was close to buying an Inno then XM fucked over O&A. Since now I don't trust XM anymore I won't be buying an Inno, and it is a good time to get an iPod.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
In the sage wisdom of my father: Never buy anything except vegatables and raw meat if it's fresh.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
was it pre-installed or an upgrade version?
I got my pc a few months before the 'vista ready' thing came out. Had xp media center on it. I purchased the vista ultimate on the day it came out.

It's never crashed on me either.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
I would love to get a iphone but i'm 16 years old, and don't have a job (yet), so I don't see myself getting one for a while. Also Apple will no doubt charge twice as much as it costs in the US here in England.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
I got my pc a few months before the 'vista ready' thing came out. Had xp media center on it. I purchased the vista ultimate on the day it came out.

It's never crashed on me either.
but, did you upgrade, or do a clean-install?

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Na just got a new fancy cingular phone, hooks up to the puter an all. Ill wait till the bugs are worked out to get the Iphone. I have my tmobile sidekickII with for internet/emails etc too.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I have a SLVR and it does most of what the iPhone will do. That said, I'm going to wait until Apple perfects this thing and makes them better/cheaper.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Everyone should buy one. Having tens of thousands of dollars of stock in T, I need the surge to keep going. :)

Ndugu

Nov 20, 2003
Howell, NJ
I just can't see carrying something that expensive around in your pocket all the time, one more thing for some shine to mug you for.