Who saw this coming?: Libyan rebels loot, burn, beat people...

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Libya rebels loot seized towns, says rights group

ALGIERS (Reuters) - Libyan rebel fighters who capture villages from forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi have looted shops, burned homes and beaten people suspected of supporting the Libyan leader, Human Right Watch said.
Since Libya's conflict broke out five months ago, rights groups have focused on allegations of abuses by Gaddafi's forces. But the New York-based group said rebels in the Western Mountains region were committing abuses too.
In the past few weeks, the fighters have advanced to within 100 km (60 miles) of the Libyan capital, capturing several villages which had been used by Gaddafi's forces as bases for attacking rebel-held towns.
"Opposition forces say they are committed to human rights, but the looting, arson, and abuse of civilians in captured towns are worrying," said Joe Stork, deputy Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch.
"This raises concerns about how civilians will be treated if rebels capture other towns where the government has support," said Stork in a statement from the rebel-held town of Zintan and circulated by the group.
Human Rights Watch researchers said that several houses were set on fire in the village of al-Qawalish after it was taken by the rebels. They said shops were looted in two other villages, and in a third medical equipment was taken from a clinic.
Forces loyal to Gaddafi appeared to have launched an offensive on Wednesday to retake al-Qawalish, after rebels tried to advance beyond the village to the town of Garyan which controls access to the main highway into the capital.
Researchers also interviewed a resident in the village of Ryayna, who said he knew of several local people who had been beaten by the rebels after they took control, and one who had been shot in the foot by a rebel.
Human Rights Watch, in a report, quoted a local rebel commander as acknowledging there were some abuses, but that these were in direct violation of orders given to fighters not to harm civilians or their property.
The rebel cause in Libya relies heavily on Western assistance and any indication they are failing to respect the rules of warfare could compromise that support.
http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE76C0C520110713

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
But these are peaceful revolutionaries! Free Libya!

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Nothing ever bad happens during civil wars.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Obama is the best, we spend hundreds of billions to fight AQ in Afghanistan and then we spend billions to help them in Libya.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Nothing ever bad happens during civil wars.
Some people have such a prissy, sheltered, idealized view of reality it's embarrassing. Food's gone, millions are starving, Gaddafi has rerouted the sewage into the water supply, and any living soul seen walking on the street gets hit by a sniper bullet. "But they're looting the surrounding villages!" lol.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'm pretty sure some Torries weren't treated with kid gloves during the Revolutionary War.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Some people have such a prissy, sheltered, idealized view of reality it's embarrassing. Food's gone, millions are starving, Gaddafi has rerouted the sewage into the water supply, and any living soul seen walking on the street gets hit by a sniper bullet. "But they're looting the surrounding villages!" lol.
Next you're going to tell me that the rebel advancement isn't due to a series of Scrabble victories.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Some people have such a prissy, sheltered, idealized view of reality it's embarrassing.
You're a retarded college puke. Please keep your opinions about others to yourself. There's nothing prissy about expecting American allies to not **** and murder civilians without any repercussions. It's very reasonable.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Obama is the best, we spend hundreds of billions to fight AQ in Afghanistan and then we spend billions to help them in Libya.
It's funny how easily you are duped by Qadhafi. Because he is the one making that claim. See, if AQ are in with the Libyan rebels, then the US won't help them. I still think the Libyan rebels are not worth helping, but I highly doubt AQ is involved there. They have no reason to. Easier to wait for the dust to settle and then decide what to do.

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
They must have just gotten word about the Canucks losing.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
It's funny how easily you are duped by Qadhafi. Because he is the one making that claim. See, if AQ are in with the Libyan rebels, then the US won't help them. I still think the Libyan rebels are not worth helping, but I highly doubt AQ is involved there. They have no reason to. Easier to wait for the dust to settle and then decide what to do.
The rebels are not officially Al Qaeda, but they have all kinds of direct links to Al Qaeda, and many of them clearly have American blood on their hands. There's really no denying that, the evidence is overwhelming.

For instance one rebel leader (Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi) was captured in the war on terror, in Peshawar, in 2002, and handed over to the US (and then passed on to Lybia, where he was recently freed). He also openly admitted to recruiting fighters who fought for Al Qaeda in Iraq.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html

There are plenty of other well documented and sourced articles, from reputable publications, about Jihadis among the rebels, and Al Qaeda and Hezbollah involvement in Libya.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The rebels are not officially Al Qaeda, but they have all kinds of direct links to Al Qaeda, and many of them clearly have American blood on their hands. There's really no denying that, the evidence is overwhelming.

For instance one rebel leader (Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi) was captured in the war on terror, in Peshawar, in 2002, and handed over to the US (and then passed on to Lybia, where he was recently freed). He also openly admitted to recruiting fighters who fought for Al Qaeda in Iraq.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html

There are plenty of other well documented and sourced articles, from reputable publications, about Jihadis among the rebels, and Al Qaeda and Hezbollah involvement in Libya.
I was talking about an official, organizational support for the Libyan rebels from AQ. Obviously there are plenty of recurring names and whatnot. Not all of AQ are idealists. There's plenty of mercenaries there as well.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I was talking about an official, organizational support for the Libyan rebels from AQ. Obviously there are plenty of recurring names and whatnot. Not all of AQ are idealists. There's plenty of mercenaries there as well.
We can't even get them to admit to a relationship with the Taliban and you expect them to hold a presser announcing "official" organizational support for Libyan rebels?

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Al Qaeda may already be among Libya's rebels

Former CIA officer Bruce Riedel took things a step further, telling the Hindustan Times: "There is no question that al Qaeda's Libyan franchise, Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, is a part of the opposition. It has always been Qaddafi's biggest enemy and its stronghold is Benghazi. What is unclear is how much of the opposition is al Qaeda/Libyan Islamic Fighting Group - 2 percent or 80 percent."
Are Libyan rebels an al-Qaeda stalking horse?

US intelligence has picked up "flickers" of al-Qaeda activity among the rebel groups in Libya, Nato operations commander Adm James Stavridis has said.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Oct 8, 2005
Reality
This is a moot point, because I actually agree with you that we shouldn't be helping the Libyan rebels, but my point was that it is unclear. There are plenty of conflicting reports that I see on this. But whatever. I say fuck 'em.
Unclear? That would be like FDR helping a large group of unknown Germans that may or may not be Nazis.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Unclear? That would be like FDR helping a large group of unknown Germans that may or may not be Nazis.
Exactly. Stop arguing, dummy. I'm agreeing with you. The only thing I said was that no one was sure if AQ was involved or not. I think that is good enough to not help them.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
:rap:

http://news.antiwar.com/2011/09/09/black-women-report-****-by-tnc-forces-in-libya-refugee-camps/

The news doesn’t get better for thousands of black Africans trapped in Libya, besieged by racist rebel fighters. In addition to chronic suspicion of being mercenaries for Gadhafi, women in one internal refugee camp say they are dragged off at night and ***** by Libyans who fight under the flag of the new authorities.

“They come in firing their guns and taking people,” a Nigerian woman told McClatchy. “They don’t use condoms…”

US Ambassador Gene Cretz doesn’t think the abuses are systematic or intentional on the part of the Transitional National Council, whose forces recently routed dictator Moammar Gadhafi. “It’s something that’s happening at levels below that, which is of considerable concern to us,” he told McClatchy.

A local TNC official dismisses the claims of the women, saying he’s received no reports of abuse.

Thousands of foreign and Libyan blacks have been rounded up, imprisoned, and abused with only their skin color as evidence of their guilt, according to rights groups. The African Union has refused to recognize the NTC partly due to such abuses.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
“They come in firing their guns and taking people,” a Nigerian woman told McClatchy. “They don’t use condoms…”
Since she's from Nigeria, I'd say the rapist probably got the worse part of the deal.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Having to put on a condom while trying to **** a bitch would really suck.